Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

Figured that we are in a new season now, so probably need a new thread worth of updates and news. 

Sounds like we might get a lot of Haskins in the HOF games.....which actually means I am probably going to watch it. I am excited to see him and Mason play. I'm hoping that's a really competitive match....regardless of how I actually feel about Mason. Prove me wrong buddy!

It's curious to me that we did this again. Felt like we had enough room in general. My guess is they are poised to sign someone else during cut downs and are just preparing for that. Not a lot out there in the world in terms of FA's to sign with the extra spending money. 

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

It's curious to me that we did this again. Felt like we had enough room in general. My guess is they are poised to sign someone else during cut downs and are just preparing for that. Not a lot out there in the world in terms of FA's to sign with the extra spending money. 

Overthecap has Steelers at $12 mill in cap room...not sure if it’s accurate.

Them doing another voidable year type contract with Ingram makes me think they’re going to do something else...everything screams “1 last ride”.

I think they’re going to make a trade for a vet in the secondary before TC ends.

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

Overthecap has Steelers at $12 mill in cap room...not sure if it’s accurate.

Them doing another voidable year type contract with Ingram makes me think they’re going to do something else...everything screams “1 last ride”.

I think they’re going to make a trade for a vet in the secondary before TC ends.

TBF, adding in the $5-6m they like to carry in season and the 52 and 53 player on the roster that gets added to cap soon…we are really only talking like $3-4m. 

But as we see with their willingness to do voided years, that can still be a $4-8m player. 

But I agree about doing it with Ingram makes me think they are already planning, or at least expect to make, another move. I’d say it’s a really strong possibility we are not done with our top half of the roster. 

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

TBF, adding in the $5-6m they like to carry in season and the 52 and 53 player on the roster that gets added to cap soon…we are really only talking like $3-4m. 

But as we see with their willingness to do voided years, that can still be a $4-8m player. 

But I agree about doing it with Ingram makes me think they are already planning, or at least expect to make, another move. I’d say it’s a really strong possibility we are not done with our top half of the roster. 

Yea they like to have some play $$$ for during the season.

I could be wrong of course but as you said they have somewhere between $4-$8 mill depending on contract to play with.

They won’t do it but I might try to add a vet RB like AP/Yeldon/Duke Johnson to upgrade behind Harris...just my .02.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:43 PM, AFF said:

They won’t do it but I might try to add a vet RB like AP/Yeldon/Duke Johnson to upgrade behind Harris...just my .02.

What do any of those guys bring that McFarland, Snell, Ballage don’t? We have a 1st round rookie, spent a 3rd in McFarland, and signed Ballage I can almost guarantee we are not looking to add a RB.

My bet is O-Line, Corner, Safety, or maybe ILB to upgrade Spillane if one becomes available. 

28 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

What do any of those guys bring that McFarland, Snell, Ballage don’t? We have a 1st round rookie, spent a 3rd in McFarland, and signed Ballage I can almost guarantee we are not looking to add a RB.

My bet is O-Line, Corner, Safety, or maybe ILB to upgrade Spillane if one becomes available. 

I tend to agree, but I do give some level of consideration to adding a vet RB. It would just be pretty low on my list. 

We are ultimately hoping Harris is a 3 down back, but we don’t know for sure. We hope McFarland improves and can help as a pass catching weapon, but have no clue if he could or if he could handle blocking. I think none of us want to see Snell in that role and we would like Jaylen off the team. So signing a guy like Duke who we know can handle 3rd down and passing situation football makes the team baseline better today, and if Harris or McFarland jump them we are in an even better situation.

I also wouldn’t hate someone like AP. We really don’t have an RB mentor on this team. Snell or Jaylen are the vets? Yikes. If someone wanted to come accept a big back/mentor role for the minimum, I think I would be good with that. We committed our top pick to Harris, I’d rather make sure he is set up to be as successful as possible.

Harris/McFarland/AP/Ballage isn’t a bad group. Nor is Harris/Snell/McFarland/Duke