Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

18 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

And I would also like the guy who could very well be my swing tackle as a rookie who played almost exclusively on the left his entire college career to…ya know…maybe practice om the right once or twice?

Im just not even sure I understand the issue with the battle. It’s a 4th year guy vs a 4th round guy. They have said they like Chuks on the left more than they did on the right. If he loses his job to a 4th rounder in week 5 great…but 3 weeks into camp we are surprised the 4th year vet has the position right now? I’m big excited for DMJ..but I’d also much rather slow play development. 

Oh for sure.  And Moore has looked good in the run game, so I think I would like to see Haeg be the swing tackle, and Moore to be the reporting eligible for this year.  That way if an injury happens Moore doesn't need to play every down, but can still get some experience.

But, no there's no issue here IMO.  Additionally what does that say if a guy you spent 4 years developing gets beat out by a guy who was a 4th rounder without seeing the starting unit play together yet?  And at the a 4th rounder that played against 4th/5th/6th best pass rushers.  You never know, he could be getting beat like a drum when facing Ingram/Highsmith in camp.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

We got a Watt contract incoming by the start of preseason game 3 with this move to have as little salary as possible in 2020 for Scho and having like $12mil in space.

I’ve been assuming the Watt extension really wouldn’t effect our number this year. Could be wrong on that, but I’ve been hoping it was for keeping space for any potential additions at cut time that make sense. Maybe a 3rd S for dime or CB/OL help. 

12 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’ve been assuming the Watt extension really wouldn’t effect our number this year. Could be wrong on that, but I’ve been hoping it was for keeping space for any potential additions at cut time that make sense. Maybe a 3rd S for dime or CB/OL help. 

Their last true depth weakness is on the secondary...and with Schoberts contract details only eating like $1 mill against cap, I’m expecting Watts deal to get done and another depth signing/trade for the secondary.

23 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I got a gut feeling we're gonna have to see more money added to Watt's cap this year.

10 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Interesting, I wonder why they want him wearing the green dot over Bush.

I would imagine just an experience thing. But I don’t hate creating competition for these guys no matter what their status. 

I saw where he and Bush were alternating Dimebacker snaps. It (hopefully) only pushes Bush and makes him better. I’m cool with it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Is this confusing in some way? I’m lost. Makes pretty reasonable sense to me. 

The problem is that Okorafor, who looked terrible against the Eagles, is basically being handed the starting spot. Whereas Tomlin takes the harsh approach with a guy like Dotson, he seems to be codding Okorafor. This days after Tomlin took a harsher approach with Dotson who was more impressive in a handful of starts than Okorafor was in an entire season last year at RT.

If his performance against the Eagles had been even passable, maybe I could wrap my head around the different approaches. But he wasn't. And there most certainly should be an honest competition for that LT spot for week 1.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I would imagine just an experience thing. But I don’t hate creating competition for these guys no matter what their status. 

I saw where he and Bush were alternating Dimebacker snaps. It (hopefully) only pushes Bush and makes him better. I’m cool with it. 

You would imagine they would want the LB with the green dot to be the one who never comes off the field though. 

10 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The problem is that Okorafor, who looked terrible against the Eagles, is basically being handed the starting spot. Whereas Tomlin takes the harsh approach with a guy like Dotson, he seems to be codding Okorafor. This days after Tomlin took a harsher approach with Dotson who was more impressive in a handful of starts than Okorafor was in an entire season last year at RT.

If his performance against the Eagles had been even passable, maybe I could wrap my head around the different approaches. But he wasn't. And there most certainly should be an honest competition for that LT spot for week 1.

But he really didn't look terrible against the Eagles. One play does not determine an entire outing. 

These things are not apples to apples comparison for Chuks and Dotson, specifically in terms of motivation. Dotson is a 2nd year guy with no competition to start at his position. If Tomlin used one week as a motivation tactic for a guy they hope can be their long term starter, Im perfectly okay with that. Especially with reports that he wasn't taking rehab seriously or that they were not happy about his progress. Why would he? Jobs his. 

Chuks on the other hand is a 4th year guy in a contract year with a rookie drafted behind him that has shown well in his absence. If Chuks doesn't perform, he doesn't get paid. If Chuks doesn't perform, he loses his job. 

We have to also acknowledge that Moore being asked to move to RT is a good thing for a rookie. If w are nitpicking Tomlin's "you could suggest that" for Chuks let's also acknowledge that he gave the same response when asked if moving a rookie (Moore) off his singular position meant Tomlin was comfortable with him there. The are seeing how big a role he can take on the 46 man game-day roster. Can he play RT in a pinch? Can he operate as the tackle eligible?

People acting like a team giving a 4th round rookie expanded responsibilities is a bad thing...Let Chuks have all the LT snaps and see if Dan can take RT. It only makes us better and him more useful on Sundays, if it works. 

Like I said, this all makes too much sense to criticize and it's not written in stone anywhere. If Chuks is fall down bad and Dan doesn't get a shot, let's revisit. Until then, it's just criticizing Tomlin to criticize Tomlin.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

You would imagine they would want the LB with the green dot to be the one who never comes off the field though. 

I think we play a lot less Dime with 2 LBers who can run and cover. We used dime to get Sutton on the field specifically the last two years. We wont have that need as much to get VW, Spillane, or Williamson off the field as much this year. 

But I also don't mind the competition/motivation for Bush. 

• Like 1