Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Colbert is just messing with people now to laugh at everyone that said the Steelers had no Cap space in the Spring. 

They added 3 voidable years to deal....I think have roughly $17 mill in cap room after this move?

43 minutes ago, AFF said:

I think have roughly $17 mill in cap room after this move?

That's what I saw too. I just don't get why there are creating that much room now without something else coming. 

I know @warfelg thinks TJ will take a bigger hit this year. Could be right. Maybe that's what they needed to get it done.

I don't know that I would get that, but I also don't know the finally details of all guarantees and such in contracts. Simple math here....but to me, if you need $5M to pay TJ you could either 1) Pay TJ $5M next year or 2) move $5M from other people to next year and pay $5M to TJ this year. I don't get the logic of #2... so IMO, something else is coming. 

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

That's what I saw too. I just don't get why there are creating that much room now without something else coming. 

I know @warfelg thinks TJ will take a bigger hit this year. Could be right. Maybe that's what they needed to get it done.

I don't know that I would get that, but I also don't know the finally details of all guarantees and such in contracts. Simple math here....but to me, if you need $5M to pay TJ you could either 1) Pay TJ $5M next year or 2) move $5M from other people to next year and pay $5M to TJ this year. I don't get the logic of #2... so IMO, something else is coming. 

Well even if they end up doing nothing else they can carry that cap room over for next year...however it seems like they’re doing more for this year with these voidable year deals and restructures.

TJ deal might add a few mill  on top of his $11 mill cap hit this year but I’m guessing not much more.

Just now, August4th said:

who could be available at a position of need the steelers could target with this extra cap space? the CB from Jax?

My mind went to Marshon Lattimore and Stephon Gilmore. No clue if they would actually be available or if the Pats would trade with us. But I wonder if we could offer James Washington to soften the blow of draft capital.  Would Bill take JW and a 3rd for Gilmore, who he might not resign? Are the Saints committing to Lattimore long term?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

My mind went to Marshon Lattimore and Stephon Gilmore. No clue if they would actually be available or if the Pats would trade with us. But I wonder if we could offer James Washington to soften the blow of draft capital.  Would Bill take JW and a 3rd for Gilmore, who he might not resign? Are the Saints committing to Lattimore long term?

Patrick Plotting GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 10:27 AM, Dcash4 said:

Especially with reports that he wasn't taking rehab seriously or that they were not happy about his progress. Why would he? Jobs his. 

You can continue to paint this as just a motivational tactic, but Tomlin put Dotson back on the bench after he clearly outperformed Feiler last season. And Tomlin continues to play this game with Dotson again downplaying his performance against the Eagles and saying that he hasn't secured anything yet.

And why, exactly, does Dotson supposedly need this extra motivation? Alls the guy does is perform when given the chance.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:27 AM, Dcash4 said:

Chuks on the other hand is a 4th year guy in a contract year with a rookie drafted behind him that has shown well in his absence. If Chuks doesn't perform, he doesn't get paid. If Chuks doesn't perform, he loses his job. 

Because we've certainly never witnessed the Tomlin regime keep underperforming players on the field over young guys or even just better players before. That's never happened.

27 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

And why, exactly, does Dotson supposedly need this extra motivation? Alls the guy does is perform when given the chance.

Don't know. I have never interacted with him. Maybe he is extrinsically motivated and the coach who has been around him knows that? Have we considered that the motivation is what helps him perform when he has been given the chance? That he might be at his best when he has something to prove? 

Again, I have no clue how you see this as an issue. Everyone in the world knows its Dotsons job. He knows its his job. Tomlin knows its his job. They made zero moves in the off-season on the interior at G because they knew it was his job. Its why he was given reps with the 1's at the end of the Philly game before getting reps with the 2s. Its why his name has sat atop the depth chart Tomlin produces the entire offseason, despite where he practiced. 

Why do you think keeping a 2nd year guy with NO COMPETITION motivated is a bad thing? Im curious why your not interested in trying to get the best out of the players. 

30 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Because we've certainly never witnessed the Tomlin regime keep underperforming players on the field over young guys or even just better players before. That's never happened.

And we have certainly never witnessed a training camp pro bowler fall flat when the real bullets start flying against consistent, vet competition before. That's never happened. 

I know Tomlin could give a homeless person $20 and you would scold him for not giving $50....but man, he's hasn't done anything wrong here. You just want him to be wrong. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

We generally carry a $7-9mil space total into the season. I don't think there's another trade, I think it's an advancement of some pay, like guaranteeing his 2020 total with a increase in what he makes this season.  By advancing some money this way you could take out some of a future hit.

FWIW last year players got nearly 60% of FRI, and that calculation is a rolling 4 year average.  That means maybe the next 2 years will be down cap wise so it's going to be interesting to how they structure his deal to make that work incase the cap doesn't move.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

We generally carry a $7-9mil space total into the season. I don't think there's another trade, I think it's an advancement of some pay, like guaranteeing his 2020 total with a increase in what he makes this season.  By advancing some money this way you could take out some of a future hit.

So I have definitely come around to your thought here, especially regarding the bold. It makes sense, especially the way the Steelers try to conduct business, to cram as much as they can in the early portion of the contract. If increasing his money now helps sign him long term -- it all makes sense. 

What I have never understood is the "lets move $5M from Player A to next year to pay $5M to player B this year". Just pay player B that money next year...its all the same pot of money being paid out. But with the amount of guarantees he is basing his new contract negotiations on from Bosa and Garrett, I get the feeling you are right. 

Edited by Dcash4