Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

So I have definitely come around to your thought here, especially regarding the bold. It makes sense, especially the way the Steelers try to conduct business, to cram as much as they can in the early portion of the contract. If increasing his money now helps sign him long term -- it all makes sense. 

What I have never understood is the "lets move $5M from Player A to next year to pay $5M to player B this year". Just pay player B that money next year...its all the same pot of money being paid out. But with the amount of guarantees he is basing his new contract negotiations on from Bosa and Garrett, I get the feeling you are right. 

Depending on how it's structured, you guarantee Watt more this year, get the ability to restructure him next year for more space that you wouldn't have doing it the other way around.

Also that Adams deal just F-ed up any plans at keeping Minkah cheaper, as Adams makes $17mil AAV and in my estimation Minkah is MUCH better than Adams.

Also - $17mil for a glorified 2 down backer with major coverage concerns is such a hilarious overpay.

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Also - $17mil for a glorified 2 down backer with major coverage concerns is such a hilarious overpay.

This is the part that angers me. Dude isn't a safety. Hopefully the Steelers can use that as part of an argument during a Minkah negotiation, but its probably mute. Hype is a hell of a thing. 

Jamal Adam is not that good. Nice little piece, but he and Mike Hilton were not that different from each other. 

I'll repeat that name. Mike Hilton. The guy who just signed for $6M per season. 

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

This is the part that angers me. Dude isn't a safety. Hopefully the Steelers can use that as part of an argument during a Minkah negotiation, but its probably mute. Hype is a hell of a thing. 

Jamal Adam is not that good. Nice little piece, but he and Mike Hilton were not that different from each other. 

I'll repeat that name. Mike Hilton. The guy who just signed for $6M per season. 

Can't dare whisper that to the Jamal Adam's stans though.  "He does things no safety does in setting the edge and blitzing!"  Shut your mouth Football Karen.  He can't even cover a pot of boiling water on the stove.  He's a nice part but as he showed in NY he has extreme limits and is a part not the lynchpin you build a defense around.  

So funny that him and Minkah were similar when traded, unhappy with the team and the situation.  Everyone said that Minkah was a whiny little B, and Adams was getting just what was his.  Yet Adams did nothing but whine since getting traded til now, and Minkah has been a model citizen and hasn't said a peep.

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

apparently he's catching everything in camp. He could have a impact role here in yr 1 with our new OC

I doubt it. When's the last rookie TE that did anything? Unless Ebron goes down, Pat is probably only putting up pedestrian receiving numbers. I think he's going to make an impact blocking, for sure. Receiving, I doubt it. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I doubt it. When's the last rookie TE that did anything? Unless Ebron goes down, Pat is probably only putting up pedestrian receiving numbers. I think he's going to make an impact blocking, for sure. Receiving, I doubt it. 

I think he is going to have a bigger role than expected, mainly because I see him taking over for Ebron. 

Pat works in single TE sets for run or pass, Ebron doesn't. So in a lot of cases towards the back end of the season I can see the snap% increasing drastically for Pat vs. EE. 

Also, if they are really going to use JuJu outside (or at least in a more "outside" field stretching role) that leaves a void of that safe, check down receiver -- a void I see filled by sure handed, highly thought of Pat Freiermuth. 

Caveat of my opinion: I love Pat Freiermuth. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

To quote Tomlin:

That’s nice but can he block. 

TBF: Already better than Ebron 😉