Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

10 minutes ago, August4th said:

Alright, well to be fair Tombert cant nail EVERY pick in the last two drafts. 93.4% ain't bad though....

I don't know how the injured/Waive part of this works, but could this be a circle back on the practice squad thing? They liked him enough to give him first dibs in the slot (somewhat by default), I would think they would like to see him here a little longer than that. Maybe just not worth sticking on the 53 to get to place on IR. 

Also, just continues to make a new acquisition at CB/S that much more relevant as cut downs get closer. 

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Alright, well to be fair Tombert cant nail EVERY pick in the last two drafts. 93.4% ain't bad though....

I don't know how the injured/Waive part of this works, but could this be a circle back on the practice squad thing? They liked him enough to give him first dibs in the slot (somewhat by default), I would think they would like to see him here a little longer than that. Maybe just not worth sticking on the 53 to get to place on IR. 

Also, just continues to make a new acquisition at CB/S that much more relevant as cut downs get closer. 

If he clears waivers, he'll be on IR.

9 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

If he clears waivers, he'll be on IR.

Im curious then -- what's the difference between IR'ing someone and Waive/Injured them to put them on IR?

Etienne was just placed on IR. Obviously, he is in their future plans and makes sense. Brooks was a drafted guy too, albeit much later. Why not just IR?

I am going to assume there is a reason (most likely financial?), but if not -- it just more seems like, meh we didn't like you all that much. 

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Its just annoying that the one position they cant seem to really nail is DB.    The best ones we get are typically free agents or trades....and at best we drafy okay players in guys like Sutton and Edmunds.

• Like 1

Brooks seemed to impress when on the field. I'd hate to lose a guy who actually showed promise because of a numbers game and a poorly timed injury. If he was slated to be your starting nickel, it seems like it would have been worth giving him more time. Though none of us knows how serious the injury is. He was back on the field in a limited capacity, what, a week ago?

Depot is reporting that if he gets waived with an injury settlement he basically can't rejoin the team until around week 8.

My confusion on the IR/Waived piece is if you ultimately liked the guy, why do this technique that opens him up to other teams vs keeping him on the 53 to IR him so he can return or if he is long term injured just IR him and keep him stashed for next year?

Waiving him seems pretty meh about the player. Obviously he can circle back, but I don't get why you would do it this way if you actually thought highly of the player. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

My confusion on the IR/Waived piece is if you ultimately liked the guy, why do this technique that opens him up to other teams vs keeping him on the 53 to IR him so he can return or if he is long term injured just IR him and keep him stashed for next year?

Waiving him seems pretty meh about the player. Obviously he can circle back, but I don't get why you would do it this way if you actually thought highly of the player. 

you have to wave players to put them on the PS.  that is the ultimate end to this I would bet

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jebrick said:

you have to wave players to put them on the PS.  that is the ultimate end to this I would bet

I know that, but most people are talking about this move being done to potentially get him back on the roster later in the year. That's what I don't get. If that's the ultimate goal, why risk losing him when you wouldn't have to?

Short term IR would have worked to keep him here. Long term IR keeps him on the team until next year. Both have hiccups (cutting another player to keep him on the initial 53 so he can be on IR to return and the other not using him for a year). I just find it odd that the first guy you gave a shot at Nickel CB gets hurt and you can him....

Between players holding grudges after getting cut and not accepting your PS invite (hey Demarcus Ayers) or 31 other teams having an opportunity to take the player...I just don't get the risk if you actually want the player back on the roster...

3 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I think that moves like this are done because they like the player and open them up to opportunities that they may not have here. Don't get me wrong, they won't always do this with players they ultimately want to hold onto to your point. Sometimes this is done with veterans and other fringe players. 

I don't think that they don't think highly of him, but obviously he is not as developed or lost ground due to injury and others moved ahead of him. in fact, so much that simply coming back won't guarantee his position.  

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

If no one signs him or he can't find an opportunity elsewhere, I do believe he ultimately ends up back on the Steelers PS because they do like him. They just don't see him as the immediate answer to the slot position.