Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I know that, but most people are talking about this move being done to potentially get him back on the roster later in the year. That's what I don't get. If that's the ultimate goal, why risk losing him when you wouldn't have to?

Short term IR would have worked to keep him here. Long term IR keeps him on the team until next year. Both have hiccups (cutting another player to keep him on the initial 53 so he can be on IR to return and the other not using him for a year). I just find it odd that the first guy you gave a shot at Nickel CB gets hurt and you can him....

Between players holding grudges after getting cut and not accepting your PS invite (hey Demarcus Ayers) or 31 other teams having an opportunity to take the player...I just don't get the risk if you actually want the player back on the roster...

Short term IR is a real chess match in that you want to save it for a real impact player, not someone you like and you could fit on the PS.  And apparently, willing to gamble that no other team wants at the moment. 

Coming of short term IR puts him right on the roster.  If they are totally sure he is the nickle CB then they are not showing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Short term IR is a real chess match in that you want to save it for a real impact player

Not this year. They are repeating last years unlimited IR return, so if they wanted him back on the active roster -- that was the easiest, most secure path. 

That's what I have been questioning. SD put out an article last night about having a path back to the 53. I get the PS part of this, but if you really wanted a guy back on the 53 at some point -- cutting him wasn't the best answer. 

Butler answered my question though. Doesn't much sound like a guy they really cared about losing at this point. 

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

According to Tomlin, Tre Norwood is going to get some slot snaps. I don't think there's any chance we don't make a move for a CB. There's no way the FO is happy about how this has turned out. 

I've liked Tre's game (outside of learning how quickly a poor angle in the NFL can turn into 6 against the Eagles). I'm glad he is getting more opportunity to fill a role, maybe Dime? But I totally agree. I think we will be starting a CB in nickel in week 1 that isn't on the roster right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

According to Tomlin, Tre Norwood is going to get some slot snaps. I don't think there's any chance we don't make a move for a CB. There's no way the FO is happy about how this has turned out. 

Who could be on their radar?

Did everybody see that tweet about Snell being on the inside track to make the team? My hypothesis about this is they give Snell the start in this last game. Run him and Mac with the 1s. If he beasts it up like he has flashed in the past, we keep him. If not, we keep Ballage. I think Tomlin likes Benny, and honestly, I don’t see much from Ballage. He’s looked ok, but from what I’ve seen he’s nothing special. 

13 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

SD mentioned Gareon Conley from the Raiders(?). Maybe somebody like that. I wish I followed more teams to know what was going on in terms of potential cuts. 

I saw that….that’s a tough buy,  it it’s about all we have. 

I always look at rosters with new DC’s, new rookie’s at a position, or tight to the cap. Honestly, I can’t find much that’s intriguing out there for us. The Saints are probably the most interesting but the way a lot of their guys are structured, it wouldn’t give them cap relief. 

Just a side note from my digging: I have no clue how the Bucs are going to make their cut downs. If the internet is right, they have like $400k of cap space…and that’s BEFORE adding player 52, 53, and paying your PS. Somebody has to get cut, I’m not sure who right now. 

I thought maybe Ross Cockrell on a comeback tour? Nope has like a $900k hit on their cap this year. 

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Did everybody see that tweet about Snell being on the inside track to make the team? My hypothesis about this is they give Snell the start in this last game. Run him and Mac with the 1s. If he beasts it up like he has flashed in the past, we keep him. If not, we keep Ballage. I think Tomlin likes Benny, and honestly, I don’t see much from Ballage. He’s looked ok, but from what I’ve seen he’s nothing special. 

I saw that and immediately assumed it’s a last ditch effort to raise Snell’s trade value. I was a Snell fan until last year, guy just doesn’t have enough talent to be a difference maker in this league. Ballage is no world beater but he reminds me of when we signed Blount a few years ago. I have a lot more faith in Ballage to pick up 4th and 1 than Snell.

McFarland is the clear “number 2” but if Najee were to go down I think Ballage would handle early downs with McFarland handling 3rd down/COP role. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think it'll be Sutton right now. Pierre on the outside and kicking Sutton inside. That's not a great look, though. We don't have any good options for NCB. 

Why is that not a great look?