Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

46 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Why is that not a great look?

Sutton can play nickel but not in the Mike Hilton role. You want Sutton in coverage, not blitzing and trying to make tackles in the run game. 

Also, I’m a believer in Pierre but he is unproven. Ideally Sutton is the boundary corner, Pierre is the top backup outside, and we bring someone in who can fill the Hilton role.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Sutton can play nickel but not in the Mike Hilton role. You want Sutton in coverage, not blitzing and trying to make tackles in the run game. 

Also, I’m a believer in Pierre but he is unproven. Ideally Sutton is the boundary corner, Pierre is the top backup outside, and we bring someone in who can fill the Hilton role.

Co-sign. 

We play Cleveland and Baltimore in the division. If your nickel can’t play the run, your in trouble. 

The guy doesn’t even need to be a stud. See Hilton, Mike. But they do need to be above the bar in willingness to tackle and okay in coverage. I’m hoping cut downs provide us an opportunity to fill that void — even if Pierre is good and Sutton moves inside. Early down work suffers. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, DR43 said:

what options do we have at nickel corner beyond Sutton?  Mark Gilbert?

I still think Maulets a good option, but his recent injury lead to a real vacancy that no one stepped into. 

if it’s not maulet or Sutton though….I don’t know. Minkah? 

One of these things is not like the other 👀

Our line is going to surprise people this year. I think we’ll end up middle of the pack or maybe even slightly higher by the end of the season if everyone stays healthy. I know this is a silly way to look at things but these are the Madden ratings our o-line probably deserves 

Chuks - 75

Dotson - 95

Green - 79

Turner - 77

Banner - 83

Not bad when you look at it that way

11 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

One of these things is not like the other 👀

Our line is going to surprise people this year. I think we’ll end up middle of the pack or maybe even slightly higher by the end of the season if everyone stays healthy. I know this is a silly way to look at things but these are the Madden ratings our o-line probably deserves 

Chuks - 75

Dotson - 95

Green - 79

Turner - 77

Banner - 83

Not bad when you look at it that way

Remember in preseason you are judging players and not teams.  They are going against vanilla defenses ( for the most part) against players who may be stocking shelves in 2 weeks.  But it does hold true to my eyes in that Chuks is the weak point.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Remember in preseason you are judging players and not teams.  They are going against vanilla defenses ( for the most part) against players who may be stocking shelves in 2 weeks.  But it does hold true to my eyes in that Chuks is the weak point.

Of course, but it’s still encouraging to see. There’s a scenerio where we come out against Detroit’s D-Line and still get pushed around and that wouldn’t have shocked anyone a few weeks ago.

Also, every other team is facing the same circumstances so it’s note-worthy we are in the top 4.

Edited by bigben07MVP

9 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

I don't mean to make this look like a reactionary post because I've felt this way since the draft was over; but Pat Freiermuth will be the best TE from this draft. Yes, better than Pitts.

Remember who told you guys first.. 😎

Bud, your way way way late to this train around these parts. 

• Like 1

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/08/27/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-preseason-tj-watt-contract-stephon-tuitt-cam-sutton/stories/202108270090?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I am not a Dulac fan, so I take everything he says with an entire shaker of salt...

But something to watch for next week. He says that Tuitt has an "undisclosed shoulder injury" that has been part of the reason he is being held out. We should find out next week if he practices or not what's happening. Honestly, I can't wait for the NFL rules to kick in regarding injury. I don't much get why they have to wait....

But he follows something like that by saying "his absence would continue to highlight the lack of depth [on the defensive line]". Im sorry Gerry, but the D-Line is one of our deepest positions? So if you are wrong about the D-line depth, something I think everyone sees, maybe your wrong about the shoulder too?

I don't know. I hate our beat reporters. They are the least plugged-in plugged-in people in the industry. 

27 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2021/08/27/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-preseason-tj-watt-contract-stephon-tuitt-cam-sutton/stories/202108270090?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I am not a Dulac fan, so I take everything he says with an entire shaker of salt...

But something to watch for next week. He says that Tuitt has an "undisclosed shoulder injury" that has been part of the reason he is being held out. We should find out next week if he practices or not what's happening. Honestly, I can't wait for the NFL rules to kick in regarding injury. I don't much get why they have to wait....

But he follows something like that by saying "his absence would continue to highlight the lack of depth [on the defensive line]". Im sorry Gerry, but the D-Line is one of our deepest positions? So if you are wrong about the D-line depth, something I think everyone sees, maybe your wrong about the shoulder too?

I don't know. I hate our beat reporters. They are the least plugged-in plugged-in people in the industry. 

It could be a lingering issue...maybe why they insisted on getting a DE like Loudermilk this past draft.