Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

https://steelersnow.com/training-camp-takeaways-8-2-early-offensive-line-struggles-alarming/

Recap of practice today by Farabaugh.

- By all accounts Kendrick Green has been the best o-lineman in camp (No Banner, Dotson, Chuks) and his athleticism has been on full display. Sounds like by now he’s the unquestioned day 1 starter and it would be huge if he plays like Dotson did last year. 

- So far Moore has been a disappointment (albeit going against Heyward/our 1st string DL) and Buddy Johnson has looked surprisingly good. I’m sure Johnson will be a beast on STs this year and maybe he can turn into the next Vince Williams.

- Sounds like Derek Watt will have a much bigger role this year. 

Feels like I read 100 texts the past two days of “would have been a sack but….”

I’m worried about these o-line injuries. Feels like they are going to get guys back too late to see what they have. 

Can Chuks okay LT? It’s one thing to project success, it’s another to actually see traits translate. 

I was okay with their decision at CB and OT to see what they had before making a move for a Vet, but starting to worry about the timeline with injuries. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, August4th said:

sounds like Mason is having a rough camp in yr 4 for him. This dude is Landry Jones 2.0.

He has no pocket presence. Decent arm. Spins a nice ball. Can locate….has no instincts to carry him from snap to throw. 

If he doesn’t have that ability now, he never will. It’s an instinct, not a correctable issue. 

If it was a 7 on 7 league he would probably be a top guy. But it’s not. He can’t work through muck. And the funny part is that he can’t even tell if there is muck or not. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m worried about these o-line injuries. Feels like they are going to get guys back too late to see what they have. 

Can Chuks okay LT? It’s one thing to project success, it’s another to actually see traits translate. 

I was okay with their decision at CB and OT to see what they had before making a move for a Vet, but starting to worry about the timeline with injuries. 

the tweets about the O-line has me worried too... also reading a lot of "Najee getting something out of nothing" type tweets..ugh

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I feel much better about CB now that Pierre has been balling out.

OT is certainly the position I think we should address before the season starts. I actually feel really optimistic about Dotson, Green, Turner, and Banner but Chuks protecting Ben’s blind side worries me. Hopefully a reliable vet becomes available. Not that he was that great for us but remember when we signed Flozell Adams right before the season started? A signing/trade for someone like that would make me feel a lot better about the o-line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I feel much better about CB now that Pierre has been balling out.

OT is certainly the position I think we should address before the season starts. I actually feel really optimistic about Dotson, Green, Turner, and Banner but Chuks protecting Ben’s blind side worries me. Hopefully a reliable vet becomes available. Not that he was that great for us but remember when we signed Flozell Adams right before the season started? A signing/trade for someone like that would make me feel a lot better about the o-line.

I would agree - both about CB and Chuks. I was happy to give him a shot and see how he faired the first week or two into camp and then make a decision. I’m just worried that waiting may close the door on someone else and we will have made a decision too late. 

At corner, I’m super comfortable this week with where that group could be. We obviously need to see games, but even reports of Layne stepping up these past two days. 

Im honestly even concerned about Dotson. Why is he still out and when they do put him in walkthroughs, why is it second team? I’m hoping after the game Thursday these two are both back and back at full capacity. Need to figure out what we have ASAP. 

• Like 1

Guys I am excited to see tomorrow:

- Rudolph/Haskins: Regardless of my thoughts on Rudy, it's in our best interest that he and Haskins ball out in a competition for the future signal caller. Expecting more from Haskins than Rudolph, but I'll gladly eat crow if Mason proves me wrong. 

- Green: Wanna see him get nasty and fly around in space

- Shakur Brown, Mark Gilbert, Layne, Pierre, Brooks, Norwood, Wade....so, basically every young DB we have. 

- Ray-Ray: Curious to see if he can expand his Offensive role as a weapon, and if he might be a viable candidate as a top 3 next year if JuJu moves on. 

- Buddy Johnson and Calvin Bundage: Reports sound fun for these two. I wanna see them run around and hit people. Future next to Bush taken care of?

- Jones and Roche: Does anyone seem like a future 3rd guy?

Things I am NOT excited to see tomorrow:

- Harris: Secretly, yes I am, but he is too important to get dinged in a pre-season game. And with the 17th game added and the way Tomlin used a workhorse, maybe we can save him a little? Please?

- How vanilla the offense will be. They are not going to do anything. They are going to be plain, and Steelers nation is going to go craaaaaazy with "RaNdY 2.0!"

• Like 1