Camp & Pre-Season | News and Notes

Dcash4

On 8/3/2021 at 3:16 PM, August4th said:

the tweets about the O-line has me worried too... also reading a lot of "Najee getting something out of nothing" type tweets..ugh

The OLine is going to be a process.   You cant lose 3 long time starters and expect not to have some issues.   Even if we had 3 first rounders waiting to take over, there would be issues.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Guys I am excited to see tomorrow:

- Rudolph/Haskins: Regardless of my thoughts on Rudy, it's in our best interest that he and Haskins ball out in a competition for the future signal caller. Expecting more from Haskins than Rudolph, but I'll gladly eat crow if Mason proves me wrong. 

- Green: Wanna see him get nasty and fly around in space

- Shakur Brown, Mark Gilbert, Layne, Pierre, Brooks, Norwood, Wade....so, basically every young DB we have. 

- Ray-Ray: Curious to see if he can expand his Offensive role as a weapon, and if he might be a viable candidate as a top 3 next year if JuJu moves on. 

- Buddy Johnson and Calvin Bundage: Reports sound fun for these two. I wanna see them run around and hit people. Future next to Bush taken care of?

- Jones and Roche: Does anyone seem like a future 3rd guy?

Things I am NOT excited to see tomorrow:

- Harris: Secretly, yes I am, but he is too important to get dinged in a pre-season game. And with the 17th game added and the way Tomlin used a workhorse, maybe we can save him a little? Please?

- How vanilla the offense will be. They are not going to do anything. They are going to be plain, and Steelers nation is going to go craaaaaazy with "RaNdY 2.0!"

Perfect list. I feel the exact same way about Harris. I’m certainly excited as hell to see him but will be holding my breath on every touch. He’s easily the most valuable player to us that will be in uniform tomorrow.

This might sound crazy but Haskins is definitely the player I’m most eager to watch tonight. I know what we’ve been seeing in TC reports but if he handedly outplays Rudolph tonight I will officially be hopping on the Haskins hype train. To get a player with that pedigree and talent in the manner we did (basically for free when no one else wanted him) and him turn out to even just be a really good backup/spot starter for the next few years would be exciting and a nice feather in the cap of Colbert.

Buddy Johnson and Pierre for me are the ones I’ll have my eyes on for defense tonight. If both of these guys can somehow turn into B level or better starters for us this year it will put us in a really good spot. I’m not the biggest believer in Spillane. Seems like his performance last year might have been a flash in the pan type thing, it sounds like he’s been struggling in pass coverage during TC. Not saying that’s for certain but I would rather see a guy like Johnson or Marcus Allen step up than rely on Spillane to repeat his small sample size of success last year.  

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

Excited to see Haskins play and see if he’s matured and developed. If he somehow realizes some of his potential and can develop into a solid replacement for Ben this team steps forward so much. I can’t imagine a long term contract costing much and if Bens money comes off we’ll have so much cap to play with and reload for several runs. Probably wishful thinking but as a Buckeyes fan I’m hopeful he succeeds. 

6 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Excited to see Haskins play and see if he’s matured and developed. If he somehow realizes some of his potential and can develop into a solid replacement for Ben this team steps forward so much. I can’t imagine a long term contract costing much and if Bens money comes off we’ll have so much cap to play with and reload for several runs. Probably wishful thinking but as a Buckeyes fan I’m hopeful he succeeds. 

Never been Haskins biggest fan, but there is potential there.   I have zero expectations, and I still question his maturity....but regardless of how any of us feel about him and his chances, its safe to say we are all HOPING for the best.

• Like 1

After seeing Claypool stay down a while on turf notorious for ending years, id have pulled the trigger on anyone that I thought could make the 53. 

Good on Tomlin for sticking to his old school guns and keep his guys working!!

Edited by Dcash4

Man, I really like Pierre so far. Active and willing. Seems to be playing the ball/receiver well - even in the one completion. Like where his arrow is pointing. 

And it feels very Steelers like if they continue to suck at drafting CBs but nail the UDFA….