Neglected Losing Roster Realities: 13 of 22 Starters Are 1st/2nd Yr Players

Mind Character

19 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I agree and also disagree about the Sashi stuff. IF it's remotely true that he has Trumped Hue in the QB choices, then that is a big red flag to me. My thought on why Jimmy went with Sashi was because of Hue. You have a HC that knows and studies players, with a new President, let them work together but defer to the football guy for the major decisions. It doesn't seem like that is happening, however. 

If that was the logic, then it's structured all wrong, as Sahsi has final say over the roster, not Hue. Being that Sashi is a lawyer and salary cap guy who has only been associated with losing football teams (he was at Jacksonville before here), doing it the other way around and giving Hue (or any actual football guy) final say over the roster would have made much, much more sense. In a nutshell, that's how Haslam has set this team up to fail, yet again.

One thing seriously overlooked/neglected in Hue's tenure is that he's played rookie QBs in back to back seasons.

Not just playing rookie QBs, but playing rookie QBs on a completely talent deficient roster (arguably the worse offensive talent/star power in the league).

Cody was so bad during preseason supposedly everyone said "he needs a few years..." then boom, he's starting...fought tough but that OL did us in year 1.

Any logical person knew that Kizer was not ready and it would be a bad idea to play him...then, boom...cody is struggling in camp, Brock can't take the position by the horns and Deshone has a WOW preseason game against the Saints.

Losing Corey Coleman and Kenny Britt being trash has done our teams offensive chances a fatal blow.

Along with our 2nd best player on the team (Myles Garrett) missing the majority of the season as well as top 5 player in Jamie Collins missing a few important games...it's really no surprise that we are in this predicament.

You can't win playing rookie QBs in back to back season on an offensive talent bereft team.

While it's certainly true Hue makes poor judgments and game calls at times, the rookie QB plus offensive skill talent issue plus key impact defenders' injuries has done this team in.

• 1 month later...

We need to hit big with Veteran FAs...

The Packers scouting tree of which Dorsey descends from is not known for being big on FA acquisitions but is very unheralded regarding veteran and leadership acquisitions being necessary to uplift a team toward winning.

Looking forward to Dorsey making such critical moves.

And I'm not talking about over the hill Willie Mcginest, Donte Whitner, and Karlos Dansby signings...

the only 3rd contract uy i would like would be a QB.

Otherwise people coming off their rookie contracts. That is the difference between joe banner and Ray Farmer. 

Banner took 2nd contract guys, Farmer 3rd and 4th. 

Banners big signings were better than Farmers

7 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

the only 3rd contract uy i would like would be a QB.

Otherwise people coming off their rookie contracts. That is the difference between joe banner and Ray Farmer. 

Banner took 2nd contract guys, Farmer 3rd and 4th. 

Banners big signings were better than Farmers

Agreed.

The roster isn't terrible though. 

Id like to see a vet qb and 2 QUALITY starters as well as locking Shelton up.  That's it. We don't need to burn through the cap space on a bunch of old or mediocre/overpaid vets.

Add those players to the 6 top 65 picks we have and we'll have a much improved team next season.

On 10/24/2017 at 4:10 AM, Iamcanadian said:

If we manage to draft our Goff or Wentz in the 2018 draft, we are still looking at 2 or even 3 years before we show marked improvement, it takes QB's time to develop if they have the talent and sometimes, g-d forbid, our QB pick flops, we could be looking at a decade to get back up to snuff.

Not necessarily so.  I was looking at some recent NFL turnarounds, one of which happened during our new GM's first year in Kansas City, when they went from 2-14 to 11-5.  It can happen.  The Rams this year are a nice example.  The 2012 Colts went 11-5 after going 2-14. In 1999, the Colts improved from 3-13 to 13-3.  The 2008 Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5.

It can happen because it has happened.  There is no reason why it cannot happen to us.  We just need the key pieces, and health.  I won't get into luck or coaching, but it all contributes, but a turnaround for the Browns would not be unheard of.  It would just be unheard of for the Cleveland Browns. 

3 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

This thread almost sounds like a "Keep Hue Jackson in 2018" campaign!  You all are making some impressive arguments for it.  I wonder if Dorsey has started reading all these posts?

I look at Hue Lue like this, he is a big question mark.

Things you cannot blame him for: "The Good"

He has little vet talent on the team, the team still plays hard for him.
He had no WR talent when Coleman got injured.
We had basically 3 rookie QBs on an offensive talent void roster. Several times this year we were in the position to win, just to have Kizer throw a red zone INT.
Sashi Brown was more interested in trading for picks and freeing up cap space. 

"The Bad"

He does not have an OC. That one is on him.
Poor play calling at times and poor clock management. 

"The Ugly"

His coaching record for Cleveland is 1-30... about to be 1-31. 

All this said, if we keep him, it helps with stability. It helps keep a system in place that Dorsey can maybe identify with and address it with talented players via FA and the draft. He has plenty of picks and Cap to play with. 

If we trade him to Cinci or fire him, Dorsey can pick his own coach and have someone hand picked to lead his roster. 

Personally I think the best thing would be for us to trade Hue Lue to cinci for a mid round pick. However if he stays I'm cool with that too. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed.

The roster isn't terrible though. 

Id like to see a vet qb and 2 QUALITY starters as well as locking Shelton up.  That's it. We don't need to burn through the cap space on a bunch of old or mediocre/overpaid vets.

Add those players to the 6 top 65 picks we have and we'll have a much improved team next season.

I hope dumb head Dorsey doesn't make moves to prove he is the man. 

Like cutting players like Collins, or nassib, or anyone like that. 

I have a feeling he might do something to prove how big his balls are

Archived