Neglected Losing Roster Realities: 13 of 22 Starters Are 1st/2nd Yr Players

Mind Character

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Look...it's okay to say you hate Hue and think he's incompetent...Just say that. That's fine. Or if you think he's did a terrible job designing an offense a young QB could be successful in...Cool, that's fine say that.

But everything just can't be seen through that lens.

Sure it can, if he’s the guy throwing everyone else under the bus as being incompetent and the reason he can’t do his job. That’s simply not true.

But let's be real about some things...Cody Kessler was the 31st pick in the third round that is the first compensatory pick and 4 picks away from being a 4th rounder.

To think that a 4th round QB is the franchise QB is somewhat naive.

In fact,,,It's fair to say that based on his draft spot, he has played up to the level of expectation.

Don’t disagree.

He competed...is trust worthy...had rookie isssues...and didnt capitalize when given the opportunity to start enough to forego getting a long look at the young big arm 2nd rounder Kizer who we had to get a look on in order to see if we should take a QB in the draft the following year.

Let's just say Hue was all responsible for Cody...at the time he said "Trust me" he and the organization had no plans whatsoever to play Cody Kessler.

In fact, we had TWO (2) QBs get injured for him to see the field Josh Mccown and RGIII.

It wasn’t a bad situation, no doubt, but the kid played pretty well. Of course that was when Hue was actually willing to tailor his offense to a player to some degree...but I digress.

We never got a real chance to see RG3 in this offense due to injury. He looked suspect early on but he hadn't played ball in a long time.

Which was kind of the issue with him for years.  

To say overly positive things about a QB that won the Heisman, was one of the most accurate QBs with one of the most beautiful deep ball throw abilities, Had one of the best rookie years ever, had a 2 catastrophic injuries that derailed his career and some immaturity issues.

Hue Jackson was not the only 1 WOWed by an RG3 workout/ basically a pro day.

He's an unbelievable athlete that had the best pro day since Sam Bradford...Mike Mayock, Daniel jeremiah, brian billick, Steve Mariucci, Bucky Brooks, The Washington team's scouts, the browns scouts, a major portion of the league were blown away by his workout.

Why then a few years later....when he's bigger, stronger and likely a faster more explosive matured man of an athlete with similar if not better/stronger arm talent would one not be blown away. This is one of the best talents to ever play the position. 4.38, 40yd dash....BIG time arm...Big time accuracy...on the run and outside the pocket.

I get it, but the guy wasn’t a good QB and hadn’t been for years.  To let a workout in shorts matter...

It's simple:

1. We wanted Jared Goff (that evaluation was correct),

Agreed.

2. We liked Wentz but not enough to not go analytic trade down (That was a a big Misevaluation),

Agreed

3. Out of the available talents in FA (there wasn't any), we took a calculated risk on 1 of the most talented athletes to ever play the position who had amazing heights in the NFL and some injury and coaching clash issues.

No issues with that move.

4. We selected a hard working, pinpoint accurate, marginal arm strength player in what amounts to the FOURTH (4th) round of the draft w/ no intention to play him. When bashed by media and the league...Hue says trust me.

Doesn’t bother me at all

5. We tried to trade up for Trubiskty (Correct Evaluation data pending), We like and wanted Mahomes (Correct evaluation data pending), We liked but like everyone else except for the Texans passed on Watson (as did the Bears, 49ers, Jets, Jaguars, Chargers, Bengals, Chiefs)- That also so far looks to be a Misevaluation.

A lot of the things being used as evidence to confirm previously held beliefs actually weren't terrible decisions given the context in which they happened (Cody in the 4th round...RG3 once Goff was outta reach...)

Never said they were terrible decisions.

There are legitimate criticisms but throwing everything in one giant bin to fit a narrative (that HUE sucks at everything) makes no sense especially when that narrative (that HUE sucks) has legitimate evidence to make that case albeit while other may disagree.

I never said this is all Hue’s fault.  I’m saying it’s not Sashi’s and Hue wasn’t the victim of a lawyer playing pretend as a GM. Sashi and Co hadn’t pushed their chips in on a qb, which was fine by me as it seemed rather obvious the stars hadn’t aligned just yet and they were kicking the can a bit to this year.

Hue seemed ok with this, at least if you use his statements and those of his friends as evidence, until he couldn’t manage to win a damned game and he needed someone to be responsible for his record besides himself.

I hate you and your long posts.  I wouldn’t even read this response if I were you tbh.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get it, but the guy wasn’t a good QB and hadn’t been for years.  To let a workout in shorts matter...

True. It was a risky gamble.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I never said this is all Hue’s fault.  I’m saying it’s not Sashi’s and Hue wasn’t the victim of a lawyer playing pretend as a GM. Sashi and Co hadn’t pushed their chips in on a qb, which was fine by me as it seemed rather obvious the stars hadn’t aligned just yet and they were kicking the can a bit to this year.

Hue seemed ok with this, at least if you use his statements and those of his friends as evidence, until he couldn’t manage to win a damned game and he needed someone to be responsible for his record besides himself.

I hate you and your long posts.  I wouldn’t even read this response if I were you tbh.

Haha....(then you're definitely going to hate me for this...don't read on)

I hate that I'm compelled to long post so at least on that point we agree

In the end I just think it's a complex bag of mistakes in which Hue has his part in as do others, but it is interesting that so many want to build a statue to Sashi and loathe Hue

I think Sashi had a task...and he did it mostly amazingly well.

But the fact that he did the task he was supposed to so so well...meant we would see historic losing and likely hate whoever the coach is.

Hue Jackson did not adapt to that losing well and often compounded the issues by making short sighted decisions to win a certain way when we couldn't do so.

2016 to me looks completely different if both RG3 and Mccown don't get injured. We also as a fan base would feel different if the rams didn't bend us over a barrel.

This year Hue was never prepared no matter what the organizational plan was to ride the up and down roller coaster of starting another rookie QB w/ his own issues that would likely lead to historic losing again. And the errors flowed from there as decisions made out of desperation aren't good ones.

All last year, he put nothing on the players. His press conferences showed strength and he shouldered blame so much so that the week 15 player press conferences were all the players arguing how they have to shoulder more of the burden of winning.

At some point this year, after the first Bengals game...Hue started to crack and place the burden of winning more on players and FO. That's what historic losing does to people...they break under that weight and finger pointing starts. With our piranha media and toxic sports culture and no wins, things started to spiral.

Even still the way that I view HCs in the league probably explains why I'm more guarded about my many criticisms of Hue's mistakes than others and don't scream out "Hue must be fired until then all is lost" every chance there is to talk about the Browns.

B/c I watch and read about so many other teams....This year alone the following coaches were embroiled in serious controversy (national and local criticism about their competence and mismanagement of the team) regarding HC issues (i.e., critical situational football errors, calling out players, playcalling struggles, end of game fatal errors, mismanagement of timeouts, not using personnel correctly, etc)

1. Andy Reid

2. Pete Carroll

3. Adam Gase

4. Hue Jackson

5. Ron Rivera

6. Jason Garrett

7 Dirk Koetter

8, Mike Mularkey

9. Jay Gruden

10. Jack Del Rio

11. Ben Mcadoo

12. John Fox

13. Mike Mccarthy

14. Chuck Pagano

15. Marvin Lewis

16. Vance Joseph

17. Dan Quinn

18. Bruce Arians

19. Bill Obrien

--------------------------------------

That's over half the league. Those teams' fans stomach the issues b/c they periodically experience a win that washes away the sins.

We never have the chance to be renewed and eased by winning here.

Those other teams have either have veteran QBs or talent/veterans surrounding a young QB (all except Deshaun Watson who was just amazing period)

The difference here is we had a historically awful and inexperienced roster in 2016, suffered multiple critical injuries at QB and had to start a 4th round pick.

To improve that terrible team (and beating the dead horse 1 final time I swear...whose kidding no one's reading to this point so I'm in the clear), we got rid of Joe Haden, Terrelle Pryor, Demario Davis, and added ROOKIES including at QB, Kevin Zeitler, JC Tretter, Kenny Britt, and Jason Mccourty.

Stuff unraveled a lot for Hue and co. this year.

I for one believe contrary to popular belief that there's actually a chance that given a talent boost and some serious adjustment...we like those other teams fans will be able to stomach coaching mistakes so long as we have some wins.

16 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Huh?

Didn't think anyone would read all that anyways so I thought it didn't matter...lol

"I for one believe contrary to popular belief that there's actually a chance that given a talent boost and some serious adjustment...we like those other teams fans will be able to stomach coaching mistakes so long as we have some wins. "

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Didn't think anyone would read all that anyways so I thought it didn't matter...lol

"I for one believe contrary to popular belief that there's actually a chance that given a talent boost and some serious adjustment...we like those other teams fans will be able to stomach coaching mistakes so long as we have some wins. "

Gracias.

Archived