2021 NHL Draft Thread [No Spoilers]

beekay414

I’m kind of bummed out how little Sakic values physicality and size. It’s quite possible we lose Landy and our sandpaper guys last year were JT Compher and Matt Calvert who just retired. I’m not saying we need to get a bunch of goons or anything, but there is definitely a place for a guy who can get in there and mix things up; we don’t really have anyone in our pipeline that fits that mold either. Zadorov played this role perfectly and was shipped out of town. Graves wasn’t really scrappy, but he had the size and was at least somewhat physical. My fear is we are going to start getting pushed around by bigger more physical teams. 

Edit: This is why I was a big fan of bringing in L’Heureux and what he could bring to the game. Good physical presence along with some skill from what I saw.

Just now, GW21 said:

I’m kind of bummed out how little Sakic values physicality and size. It’s quite possible we lose Landy and our sandpaper guys last year were JT Compher and Matt Calvert who just retired. I’m not saying we need to get a bunch of goons or anything, but there is definitely a place for a guy who can get in there and mix things up; we don’t really have anyone in our pipeline that fits that mold either. Zadorov played this role perfectly and was shipped out of town. Graves wasn’t really scrappy, but he had the size and was at least somewhat physical. My fear is we are going to start getting pushed around by bigger more physical teams. 

I think it's more or less that you can find that more easily. And it's actually something players can become over time

Just now, Forge said:

I think it's more or less that you can find that more easily. And it's actually something players can become over time

Yeah I agree to a certain extent, and really the guy I was referring to wasn’t available anyway, but at the same time these guys have to be good enough in other areas of the game to be on the ice. We played Liam O’Brien some last year due to injuries and what not, and he filled that role on the fourth line great, but he just wasn’t as valuable to the team to stay on the ice as the other guys when everyone got healthy. The Avs are a smaller speedy team and the few bigger guys they do have don’t really mix it up - See Nichushkin, Rantanen, & Burakovsky. Again, I’m not saying we need to go out there and get a bunch of big goons, but we’ve pretty much got Compher at this point and he’s more of just kind of an agitator. I guess I’m just expressing why I’m bummed out that we didn’t take the guy that was drafted one pick before ours lol. 

Very interesting draft. 

My biggest surprise of round one was the Ducks taking McTavish.

Best moment was the Devils taking Hughes. The excitement from the brothers made the draft.

Best move was Yzerman moving up for Cossa. The GM with the best scouting in Sweden moved up and passed on Wallstedt who also happens to live on the same street as Lidstrom.

I liked Holland’s move. Bourgault was an excellent selection and he added a third round pick.

Biggest disappointment was Guenther going to Arizona. That’s where good players go to disappear for years. 

I really hoped the Oilers got Cossa or Gunther but Bourgault was a good consolation prize.