QB Deshaun Watson reports to Texans camp

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Pretty big news given the legal uncertainty + trade demand, but if mods don't think it's worthy of a lone thread lock it up. 

Eh, we'll keep it. I also posted this in the training camp news thread.

Honestly, he's going to have an undisclosed injury and force the Texans to send him home. It's what Jalen Ramsey (another David Mugaletta client) did to force his trade.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Eh, we'll keep it. I also posted this in the training camp news thread.

Honestly, he's going to have an undisclosed injury and force the Texans to send him home. It's what Jalen Ramsey (another David Mugaletta client) did to force his trade.

ok

Even ignoring all the legal ish. Why did DeShaun want out before?

16 minutes ago, Danger said:

ok

Even ignoring all the legal ish. Why did DeShaun want out before?

He wasn't too happy when Jack Easterby brought in Nick Caserio as GM...

According to all reports, Watson did not want Easterby to return - and it looked as if Easterby was on his way out, until he conned Cal McNair into hiring Caserio over Steelers cap guru Omar Khan...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

The narrative clearly changed once the legal issues grabbed center stage, but this was the straw that broke the camel's back; not only did Easterby survive the BoB purge, he actually grew in power by bringing in puppets at GM and HC. Watson was told he'd have a voice in all of this, but that was nothing more than lip service by McNair, who cast his lot with the charlatan who has ruined this franchise since he first set foot in the building.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Can the Texans keep him from practicing or something so he can't fake an injury?

I don't really know - even if Watson could claim injury from working on his own and the Texans would probably put him on the NFI list.

This being said, I'm sure the league is going to speak on this very shortly.

Just now, ET80 said:

I don't really know - even if Watson could claim injury from working on his own and the Texans would probably put him on the NFI list.

This being said, I'm sure the league is going to speak on this very shortly.

I thought I read if he gets injured while working alone the team has options to not pay him certain parts of their contract (isnt that what happened with Ja'Waun James?).

Honestly it's just baffling the league hasn't addressed Watson's situation yet.

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I thought I read if he gets injured while working alone the team has options to not pay him certain parts of their contract (isnt that what happened with Ja'Waun James?).

I think James was cut outright because he had no guarantees that would get tacked on as dead cap (I'm talking blind on Ja'Waun James, admittedly). It was an easy decision to cut him BECAUSE of the injury.

I'm sure there's some sort of savings, but not a huge amount. 

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Honestly it's just baffling the league hasn't addressed Watson's situation yet.

I think the league was waiting to see if Watson would report. Now that we believe he is, they could proceed with their plans.

Just now, Malfatron said:

Well, why would they even want him there if hes not practicing

Probably helps drum up interest for trade. With his overall situation, there's not a whole lot Houston could do in that regard other than get him to report in hopes someone makes a split second decision (probably Houston hoping they can spook the market into thinking he's gonna wind up staying there if someone doesn't bite). 

Frankly, I'd advise him to report and potentially practice as well. $50k/ day is no joke, LDFs can get expensive, and the public perception of "nothing to see here, just going about my liife" is potentially invaluable if he ever winds up in court. Plus, the above- if he wants out, he's more likely to grab attention now than being holed up in a castle and out of the league's eye. 

Some may see a lose-lose. I see a win-win with this, outstanding variables not yet factored in (league discipline, etc).

On a side note, my gut tells me that Watson's camp is keeping a close eye on the Rodgers-Green Bay situation. Not a whole lot of teams likely to be out there ready to deal ASAP, with Denver being a potential landing spot attached to both guys. The more likely it becomes that Rodgers and GB finalize a divorce, the higher potential for Watson to get stuck in Houston and Houston to get stuck paying (and fining) him. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think James was cut outright because he had no guarantees that would get tacked on as dead cap (I'm talking blind on Ja'Waun James, admittedly). It was an easy decision to cut him BECAUSE of the injury.

I'm sure there's some sort of savings, but not a huge amount. 

I think the league was waiting to see if Watson would report. Now that we believe he is, they could proceed with their plans.

Even so. The NFL should have already made it clear if Watson was going to be placed on the exempt list/paid leave etc. So he, the Texans and other teams in general know the score.

They've had months to figure something out. 

Edited by PFM18
  • Like 1