Eagles sign CB Steven Nelson

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, EagleBlueDon said:

FWIW, PFF has Nelson ranked as their 13th overall outside corner. 

Honestly don’t care what PFF has him ranked - however, he’s a huge upgrade over what we had at CB2. 

There’s absolutely no reason to complain about this move. 

48 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Hey not signing Adoree Jackson actually turned out to be a smart non-move. Gimme Nelson on this deal over Jackson on his. Is Nelson arguably the better player?

Better fit probably, and especially with the investment cost….a better of a move for the Eagles.

Adoree can be good, he’s just not really consistent from what I recall.

Cool beans!

I understood both arguments from people that wanted to make this signing and those that didn't care and could've lived without it. I leaned toward wanting this signing just cause I don't want to have to see us struggle so bad on one side that it makes playing defense that much harder and the product on the field even more frustrating than it needs to be. 

Like I know we are all fairly young, but I don't want to completely waste one of the years I do have to watch and support the Eagles.

I don't want to watch a poor product if I don't have to. I'm tired of bad CB play.

Plus, its not like there is necessarily someone worth 'tanking for.

If we didn't make this signing and Darius Slay was to get injured and miss extended time this secondary would be utterly dog crap.

Now, at least now we have some depth and don't have to force a square peg into a round hole with Maddox on the outside.

We don't have to rush a 4th round rookie CB into starting if he's not ready.

3 hours ago, Scalamania said:

You all were fine with signing Ryan Kerrigan but somehow hate this move. 

what-do-you-mean-you-people-gif-1.gif

On 5/17/2021 at 2:59 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Not a very good run defender. Mainly gets sacks off free rushes/missed assignments and against bad tackles. Doesn’t have a lot in his toolbox pass rush moves wise. Doesn’t hurt to have a vet who will hold younger players accountable and be a good influence though and I’m sure he will bring that. Cool to see that he’s excited to be here, but he’s gonna be turning 33 in camp and could see further regression.

About Kerrigan...

On 6/5/2021 at 7:14 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

I keep listening to the Caplan & Mosher podcasts and hear them talk about us only wanting Steven Nelson if he comes at like 2-3 million. They don't want to pay him more than what they think he's worth.

Like what? I don't get that at all. You are barren at CB besides Slay and if he gets hurt you are screwed and besides that you just gave Ryan Kerrigan 3 million coming off arguably the worst year of his career.

A starting corner would be playing 97-99% of the snaps. Kerrigan will play what? 60%? Likely less?

Caplan also said that we would likely be starting off Josiah Scott (CB we traded for from JAX) at outside corner like I get he played there in college, but I don't know. Maddox starting on the outside has give me PTSD and Scott is the same size.

About Nelson...

On 7/21/2021 at 10:11 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Not against signing Nelson, but if he signed with us it would be on a 1 year deal.

Also, Caplan has been reporting for a long time that the Eagles see him as a 2-3 million dollar player and he wants more like 4-5 at least I think. Will be funny if he signs for 4 million somewhere after we gave 2.5 or 3.5 (can't remember) to Kerrigan a pass rusher who will probably only play 50 or so percent of the snaps where a CB2 would play near 100%.

DHeC3X3WAAAjl_F.jpg

11 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

Assuming that what you are saying is correct. I would consider making your team better than 3 others by signing one player moving the needle. Depends on your definition of "moving the needle." I didn't say it was a franchise altering FA signing. It absolutely makes the Eagles a better team. I know you are under the impression that we can't compete so their is no need to try but that's not how it works in the NFL. With the roster the Eagles have now, they could absolutely win the terrible NFCE. They are trying to improve the roster, not tank a season away because some fans are more interested in draft prospects and free agency than having a winning organization. Do you think the Eagles should try to tank the season because you don't think they are good enough to be real contenders? This isn't the NBA where you get mired in mediocrity as an 8 seed in a small market, with no chance for upward mobility.

All of this over a 1 year $4 million deal that the Eagles signed so that they have 2 competent CBs going into the season. How some of you have convinced yourselves that this is detrimental to the Eagles future is beyond me. 

I don't think it's detrimental, but it also doesn't make us any sort of contender this year. We're going to suck. Not sure why that's such a hard pill to swallow. We were going to suck before we signed Nelson, and we're still going to suck with Nelson. It's a 4 win team with a rookie HC, and a running QB with limited arm strength and accuracy at the wheel. It's gonna be gross this year. And CB will still be need #2 when the season ends (after QB).

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Scalamania said:

You all were fine with signing Ryan Kerrigan but somehow hate this move. 

How anyone can say this is a bad move blows my mind. There’s literally zero risk to this signing and we’re in here acting like we gave dude a 3 yr/36M contract. 

Honestly keep forgetting Kerrigan is even on the team. I don't really care who our #4 DE is though. I just hope DE1 and DE2 get some sacks. 

53 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Honestly keep forgetting Kerrigan is even on the team. I don't really care who our #4 DE is though. I just hope DE1 and DE2 get some sacks. 

Curious what the hell this standup position he'll be playing as well, 

It'll make training camp and preseason actually fun this year trying to figure the schemes out.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:
2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Curious what the hell this standup position he'll be playing as well, 

It'll make training camp and preseason actually fun this year trying to figure the schemes out.

Our own guys will be figuring out the scheme as well. Going to be a rocky TC and preseason. Whatever Kerrigan does, I'm guessing he only does it about 10 snaps a game. I'm excited to see if Sweat takes the jump.

Edited by Jeezla

On 7/26/2021 at 10:03 AM, Jeezla said:

Our own guys will be figuring out the scheme as well. Going to be a rocky TC and preseason. Whatever Kerrigan does, I'm guessing he only does it about 10 snaps a game. I'm excited to see if Sweat takes the jump.

I don´t see Sweat ever being anything more than a situational pass rusher, honestly

1 minute ago, Broadway Joe said:

I don´t see Sweat ever being anything more than a situational pass rusher, honestly

He's unquestionable the best athlete we have at the position. And the only one with arms longer than 32.5". I expect at least a little jump.

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

He's unquestionable the best athlete we have at the position. And the only one with arms longer than 32.5". I expect at least a little jump.

For sure, nice to finally see some length at the positon for this team, but I think he disappears too much and he´s so unidimensional that I don´t see him being a full time starter. 

On 7/26/2021 at 12:41 AM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Cool beans!

I understood both arguments from people that wanted to make this signing and those that didn't care and could've lived without it. I leaned toward wanting this signing just cause I don't want to have to see us struggle so bad on one side that it makes playing defense that much harder and the product on the field even more frustrating than it needs to be. 

Like I know we are all fairly young, but I don't want to completely waste one of the years I do have to watch and support the Eagles.

I don't want to watch a poor product if I don't have to. I'm tired of bad CB play.

Plus, its not like there is necessarily someone worth 'tanking for.

If we didn't make this signing and Darius Slay was to get injured and miss extended time this secondary would be utterly dog crap.

Now, at least now we have some depth and don't have to force a square peg into a round hole with Maddox on the outside.

We don't have to rush a 4th round rookie CB into starting if he's not ready.

Haunter Horrorhost GIF by Grim D. Reaper #grmdrpr