Should Eagles make move for an OT?

RandyMossIsBoss

We are 6-1, best record in the NFL. It's time to focus on winning now, sure it is sooner than we expected, but we can't take for granted or blow such a hot start. If Peters is out for the year, we need to make a move for a tackle because Vaitai has no business starting anywhere. 

Enter Duane Brown. He may have just ended his holdout, but I'd imagine him and the Texans aren't exactly on good terms and they would trade him if they get a solid offer. He's owed $9.5M/year over the final 2 years of his contract, and is in his 30s, so I'm sure they'd pull the trigger for a mid round pick. In a year where we may be able to make a run, I'll swap something like a 5th round pick for an above average starting tackle even if it's only for half a season. I'm pretty sure we'd be able to afford it, or are at least just a few cuts from affording it.

Think we have to do something, I've seen time and time again teams lose a crucial starter and just stick with the backup by virtue of them already being on the team and knowing the playbook, rather than opt for the simply superior player, only for it to result in disaster.

Do we even have the money? This isn't a plug and play situation. He does know the Playbook, Terminology, Anything. Take the fact I don't think they would rock the boat "chemistry/locker room wise" for a player who intentionally held out 7 week's because he wants to be paid, not seeing Philadelphia as a viable partner.

They're not trading/cutting players for a Short term Rental IMO. Only intriguing part is that he played with Brooks. Not sure if he'd end up being the bridge to make this happen?

18 minutes ago, Phire said:

I read something like the Eagles have two tackles on the team. Big V and Lane. None of the other guys really play OT. 

I think we'll definitely add a vet. 

There's really not much out there - maybe someone like Will Beatty or Branden Albert?

4 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

There's really not much out there - maybe someone like Will Beatty or Branden Albert?

I think that has to be the move. 

We will definitely be signing an OT and a LB.

They don't necessarily have to be big names. I think they could just be depth pieces. Or in the case of LB, improvement on depth pieces.

I honestly believe that we can start Big V and win football games. Yeah he isn't a strong player, but last year he played at a competent level and with time I think he can get back there. I think we absolutely have to try Lane at LT, maybe not till after the bye but it has to happen. 

Trading for an OT might seem good in theory, but in practice the OL will always play best with guys they have a history with. If anything I want to trade for a MLB as Goode is an awful football player.

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Go back to the source.  You got Peters from Buffalo, they have been trading away all of their veteran assets.  Make a play for Cordy Glenn.  

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/21/nfl-trade-deadline-bills-cordy-glenn-top-destinations/

I am lukewarm on that idea. He has a sizable contract with lots of years left, would likely cost a lot, and is coming off an injury.

Feel like Brown would be a more realistic option as a stop gap if Peters is out for the year.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am lukewarm on that idea. He has a sizable contract with lots of years left, would likely cost a lot, and is coming off an injury.

Feel like Brown would be a more realistic option as a stop gap if Peters is out for the year.

Peters is probably done.  Glenn would give you a permanent solution.  Brown want's a mega contract.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Peters is probably done.  Glenn would give you a permanent solution.  Brown want's a mega contract.

It is definitely possible Peters is done, but a bit early to make a move for a guy worth that much before we know more. Brown wants more money, and maybe coming here and playing for a top team will give him the chance to show he deserves it.

Basically what i am saying is we could look at Glenn once we know the extent of Peter's injury. Right now we are hearing it might only be his MCL which he 100% could come back from. 

And of course, we can stick with Big V for now and see how he plays.

Archived