Let's break down the Cardinals roster!

ET80

So, it's getting closer to football season and... Well, two of my favorite players are due to play for Arizona this season, DeAndre Hopkins and JJ Watt.

Outside of those two guys... I know very little on the makeup of this team. I know the obvious names from fantasy football (Kyler Murray) or FA news (AJ Green) or dudes I generally followed because I liked them (Larry Fitzgerald). Outside of that...

mr narrins GIF

So... Educate me @LuckyNumber11 @HoboRocket and @11sanchez11! Anyone else, feel free to join!

• Like 1

Chase Edmonds should be the starting running back he’s great between the tackles, hasn’t gotten a chance yet but this is it. 
Maxx Williams is our tight end, he’s aight Budda Baker is one of the best safeties in the league 

Chandler Jones and JJ Watt should be the best pass rushing duo but Markus Golden is no slouch either. 
Byron Murphy is a pretty solid corner. 
We’ve got two safeties named Thompson that I like. 
Zaven Collins and Isaiah Simmons are our ILBs and no one knows how that’ll go. 
Offensive line should be pretty decent DJ Humphries and Rodney Hudson specifically 

Christian Kirk is pretty meh 

I’m glad Patrick Peterson is gone

I hope Larry comes back and we cut Andy Isabella 

Honestly I think we’re a ridiculously talented team but I don’t have much faith in Kingsbury. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Arizona is unlucky to find itself in the best division in football:  the NFC-West.  Their O-Line, PFF configured as 4-38-8-56-46, is average (18th), better at pass protection (6th) than body removal (23rd). 

The team did well in the draft, scoring Rondale Moore to complement WRs A.J. Green and DeAndre Hopkins.  The underused (i.e. Pittsburgh were dead last in RB touches) James Conner (PFF:19th) will carry the mail on a team 9th in RB usage.  With Kyler Murray (PFF:13th, DVOA:15th, PPG:5th) at the helm there is no one other than the TE (targeted 28th) whom Fantasy owners wouldn't take at their Average Draft Position.

You're familiar with J.J. Watt, the star of this inconsistent/overperforming defense:  24th in aggregate PFF but 10th in DVOA.  The other D-Linemen are not strong.  The interior LBs, before and after welcoming rookie Zaven Collins, are much better than the OLBs.  The CBs are better than many think:  Malcolm Butler (15th) is a solid CB1 in front of two top half CB2s:  Darqueze Dennard (45th) and Byron Murphy (48th).  Budda Baker (PFF:12th) is a monster Free Safety while Strong Safety is a work in process.

Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury has his critics.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, ET80 said:

So, it's getting closer to football season and... Well, two of my favorite players are due to play for Arizona this season, DeAndre Hopkins and JJ Watt.

Outside of those two guys... I know very little on the makeup of this team. I know the obvious names from fantasy football (Kyler Murray) or FA news (AJ Green) or dudes I generally followed because I liked them (Larry Fitzgerald). Outside of that...

mr narrins GIF

So... Educate me @LuckyNumber11 @HoboRocket and @11sanchez11! Anyone else, feel free to join!

Cardinals defense is dominating right now after being borderline top 10 last year.

Great young secondary, and Byron Murphy has evolved over time into the shutdown corner that many here expected him to be in the 2019 draft. Dude was a starter instantly as a rookie, shut down and abused some surprising WRs (I'm pretty sure he abused Golladay, Julio, and DK, but was embarrassed by Lockett). Size has never been an issue for him, he plays big, much like teammate Budda Baker. Budda is a premier safety, and has been a rich-man's Honeybadger ever since he became a starter. I was concerned about his size coming out, dude has taken every opportunity to prove me wrong and is one of the most dangerous tacklers in the NFL with unmatched range. I was super bullish on rookie CB Marco Wilson, he's living up to it, albeit over the course of one game of NFL football. Dude tested amazingly as an athlete and was a pretty good corner his whole college career. A little raw in zone, has some sloppy pass off of assignments, but great instincts breaking on the ball and freakishly explosive. In man, dude flips his hits and never really trails his assignment, really just matches him stride for stride. Gets tripped up in press a lot. Still, surprised he slipped so far in the draft. Fellow CB Robert Alford is a proven veteran, a good starter for most of his career, but has missed each of the past two seasons with freak injuries. We'll see if he can bounce back in 2021! The final safety figures to be Jalen Thompson, a young free safety taken in the Supplemental Draft a couple years ago. He has good ball skills and high upside, but has only really shown out in flashes. The safety room has really good depth that played very, very well last season while the secondary dealt with injuries. Like, I'm pretty sure multiple back-up safeties were defensive player of the week candidates at times last year.

The Linebacker room is really exciting this year! The Cards have a pair of young LBs, both arguably the best in their respective draft classes in Zaven Collins and Isaiah Simmons. This LB room is unmatched in athleticism, both are regarded extremely well for their football character and coverage ability, both also have been crushing against the run. Joining them is veteran LB Jordan Hicks, who was a huge part of the Eagles Super Bowl defense as the starting MLB and led the league in tackles a couple seasons ago. Rounding out the group are special teams aces Zeke Turner and Tanner Vallejo.

At EDGE, Future HOFer Chandler Jones has been the most productive pass rusher in football for the duration of his Cardinals Career. Across from him is the ever-underrated Markus Golden. Golden has returned home to the Cardinals after a brief but productive stint with the Giants. Not very athletic or explosive, but he's very high effort and consistently wins reps, racking up pressures at a pretty high rate. I think most metrics had him as one of the top edge rushers last year, just only had 4 or 5 sacks in 8 games. Dennis Gardeck was one of the most productive pass rushers in the NFL last year on a per-snap basis (7 sacks in like 100 defensive snaps or something lol) and a team captain, the team's leader on special teams. However, he's currently managing an injury.

The Defensive Line was the Cardinals' biggest weakness last year, dealing with a plethora of injuries. How did they resolve that? They brought in JJ Watt. You don't need me to sell you on JJ, right, @ET80? Who else? Corey Peters, one of the top run staffers in the NFL. Jordan Phillips had 9.5 sacks a couple seasons ago. Then you have three young players in Zach Allen, Michael Dogbe, Rashard Lawrence, and Leki Fotu. This unit should be much better this year with the addition of Watt and a return to health.

On offense, Kyler Murray is the man. Legitimate passer with scrambling ability that puts him in rare company. He's a baller and a gamer, and extremely intense player who's not afraid of confrontation. His ball placement has improved every season in his career.

At Wide Receiver, this could be a really exciting group. DeAndre Hopkins is a perennial All-Pro and has been my favorite WR for years and years - to the point that when my brother told me he was traded to to Cardinals, I thought he was lying. I had actually just a Hopkins red Texans alternate NFL 100 jersey, and then he was wearing red jerseys on a weekly.basis lol. I don't really need to say more about him. Across from him, you have Cincinnati legend AJ Green. He hadn't been as dominant over the last several years of his career with the Bengals, but had been a top-tier wideout for his whole career prior. Christian Kirk has been one of the most frustrating WRs I've ever seen. He can get open against anyone and catch any sort of pass, but then he drops routine pitches. That still hasn't stopped him from being Arizona's #2 for each of the last three seasons. Rondale Moore is the most exciting ball-carrier I've ever seen. He figures to be a top returner and heavily used in motion.

The Offensive Line is above average, and figures to be even better this year. DJ Humphries is one of the best LTs in the NFL. He's a monster in the run game and has improved his pass blocking by leagues since he entered the NFL. Dealt with injury issues early in his career, but I'm confident with him matched up in any situation. Across from him, you have RT Kelvin Beachum, someone who has been a team captain across multiple stops. He was actually one of of few good OL for the Jets during the Sam Darnold Era, and rated well across most metrics, but it was a bad unit as a whole and he was lost in the shuffle. Was a "Keim Time" FA signing last year,  came in and locked down the RT spot and was rated as a top-15 tackle at either spot league-wide. On the inside, you have All-Pro C Rodney Hudson, someone who has missed 4 games in the last 8 seasons, and only allowed 1 sack across the last 3 seasons. At the guard spots, you have the reliable Justin Pugh at one side, and then former UDFA Justin Murray on the right side. Backing up multiple spots is former University of Houston tackle Josh Jones, a darling of many on this site.

At Running Back, you have former Pro Bowler and cancer survivor James Conner and Cardinals standout Chase Edmonds splitting carries. Edmonds is a super talented receiver, great get-up, has been really good over the course of his career, but has never managed a full workload. Backing them up are former Sun Devil standouts Eno Benjamin and DJ Foster.

On special teams you have Former All Pros Andy Lee and Matt Prater at punter and kicker, respectively.

Overall, I think this roster can compete with the best of them, and it all just comes down to Kliff Kingsbury's ability to manage the clock, manage penalties, and not hamstring the offense with bad playcalling.

only rewatched the 1st 10 minutes so far

our dline is so good. watt and chandler obviously were destroying but rashard lawrence got in the backfield 2x (tho nothing came of them), fotu manhandled the RG on one play, peters is always solid v the run, dogbe got a nice hustle tackle on henry

simmons is playing all over the field, looked like he got 2 snaps at outside corner when the titans went to 3 TEs sets, has been mostly playing olb so far with zaven and hicks in at mlb, obvi he plays MLB for most of the rest of the gm after. 

bmurph got a great diving pbu on 3rd 

zaven is really aggressive v the run, attacking hard, got the assist on watt's tfl

pass blocking has been great but kyler loves running out of the pocket for no reason lol 

kliff has used a bunch of different sets already, went 3 TEs a couple of times. tho darrel daniels sucks, we should trade for a real blocking TE. 

• Like 1