Training Camp battles

ovfd55

11 hours ago, 4209 said:

I believe that's Danny Johnson with good coverage. Fitz with good pass and Harmon with a good catch. Good play here on Offense and defense.  

Yes, great coverage by Danny Johnson. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t make the team again as our #5 or 6 CB. 

Harmon is making plays like he did as a rookie, really hard for me to not see him make this team even though AGG was drafted by Rivera. Harmon is just better as a blocker & special teams player beyond being at worst equal - IMO better - as a receiver than AGG. 

I have Harmon as our 6th WR & AGG on the practice squad with Milne, Sims, Jr or Wright. They’ll probably keep Milne & AGG on the PS over Sims Jr & Wright since they drafted them.

Edited by turtle28

On a day that interceptions were not in short supply, Landon Collins was the clear standout. He said on Friday that he's moving better than ever on the field, and he flaunted that newfound mobility. Both grabs came in the second half of practice; the first was from a tipped pass, which forced Collins to make a dive for the ball before it hit the ground. The next was in red zone drills, when Collins read Ryan Fitzpatrick’s pass to perfection. 

Ron Rivera praised Collins' work in the offseason to prepare himself for this moment, and all the mental reps he did with Chris Harris in minicamp seem to have paid off.

-- Collins' performance was certainly great, but Cole Holcomb might have had the most impressive pick of training camp thus far. Holcomb stepped back into coverage and read the pass from Taylor Heinicke. Holcomb took a leap and made the one-handed grab, which earned a rousing applause from the crowd. Holcomb had a similar play during minicamp when he laid out to break up a pass. Holcomb wasn't able to secure the ball back then, but it's clear that he's added a little extra strength to his hands.

Many of the receivers still fighting for a roster spot had quality reps today. Dax Milne made a tough grab as he collided with a defender while making a jump for the ball. He made the reception, which got him a "Good catch, Dax!" from one of his fellow receivers. 

DeAndre Carter had himself a day, though, with three catches. The first two resulted in decent gains in the middle of the defense, and he beat his man during red zone drills to make a catch in the end zone. Rivera said Carter has been making catches like that all camp, and his ability as a dual returner allows for some flexibility on the gameday roster.”

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Last RR Press Conference, Ron loved his ‘position flex’ playing both returners along with the slot and x. DC throwing himself in the WR Mix. 

This year is prob the most excited I've been for preseason(though injs still scares me) in awhile feel like there a lot of Talent on the back hal of roster I'm excited to see playing for a spot.

I mean most 3rd qrts in the 3 games we're prob going to have Taylor Heinicke and if healthy Kyle Allen throwing to Sims,Harmon,Sims jr,Wright, AGG and Carter along with TEs like Bates and Reyes with Lamar Miller and Patterson running the ball.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Last RR Press Conference, Ron loved his ‘position flex’ playing both returners along with the slot and x. DC throwing himself in the WR Mix. 

Yeah man, he’s been a dark horse of mine to make the team since we signed him. He’s basically Steven Sims w/ good hands. If he shows well as a return man and makes the team for his special teams he could be our 6th WR over AGG & Harmon bc having a good return man is so important.

Edited by turtle28

On 7/31/2021 at 4:25 PM, turtle28 said:

Yes I have seen reports of Carter making some plays.  When Carter was with the Texans he occasionally contributed on the Offense side of the ball. He will have a hard time consistently getting on the field when Samuels get back. I posted our teams depth chart some were on this thread and if I recall Carter was not on the chart. Maybe he was. Anyway hope him the best. 

Edited by 4209
  • Like 1

I want nothing more than for Jamin to show we’ll enough to start at MLB & Hudson can start at WLB or what our defense calls the Buffalo LB but I expect Bostic will start at the MLB & Jamin will start at WLB.

Edited by turtle28

Michael Phillips reports C B Cole Luke ( who ?? ) Cole Luke is moving up the depth card. Flashed in Richmond and is continuing to climb. Notre Dame UDFA was in Carolina for 3 seasons ( mostly P S )  . Versatile, can play safety . I've seen the name-he was actually on our roster for two late season games . ( really ? ) 

• Like 1