Training Camp battles

ovfd55

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

This is the biggest one I’ll be watching. The new OL configuration will bear monitoring, the WRs and pass-rushers are always fun to check out for me, and of course FitzMagic is must see TV. But the LB group is probably the biggest area of...concern...I have with the current roster. 

We know that Bostic is going to see more time than we’d like. Rivera has talked about trying to move away from over-reliance on veterans — but a leopard (panther?) doesn’t change his spots quite that easily. It has been pleasant to see a lot of reference to Davis/Holcomb in the nickel sets, and I think we’ll all hope to see a lot of that during the season. 

The biggest concern I have there is depth. Aside from Khaleke Hudson (a question mark himself, in my book), it’s a couple of journeyman veterans. And that’s a generous way to describe them. Really was hoping they’d find another guy in FA or the draft to, if not replace Bostic on the field, at least give them some better depth in the event that any of the starters has to miss time.

Oh, you mean like re-signing KPL like they could’ve done or signing Eric Wilson? The Eagles signed him for 1 year, $2.75 million!

And if they weren’t going to do that bc they wanted to give Khaleke Hudson a real chance to win the WLB job then they should have drafted a LB in the late rounds to develop behind Bostic, Davis & Holcomb as you’re starting 3.

I have heard some good things about Justin Phillips & he had a few nice tackles in space last night but he seems more like a practice squad guy to me.

I can almost guarantee our 6th LB after  Bostic, Davis, Holcomb, Hudson & Mayo is going to be Jared Norris bc they developed him as a practice squad player in Carolina, he was on the team last year and he’s a good special teams player.

He’s one of those guys that coaches have sometimes and Rivera is no different. He likes him for some reason - I guess he’s a hard worker & smart. I think he will make the roster even though we could probably have signed a better vet in FA or drafted a LB who could’ve beat him and maybe even Mayo out as our 5th or 6th LB.

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

How do yall feel about KJ Wright? I was watching the game last night with my Boy (1 of the Biggest WFT fans in captivity I'm sure LOL). I saw Bostic hugging air twice last night in addition to looking lost in the screen game (not trying to throw shade). If he moved more to a rotation/Special teams type of role, and then you have KJ Wright to teach the young pups (Jamin and Holcomb)?

Also last night we came up with a nickname for one of my now favorite preaseason players Jarrett Patterson......."Pocket Bison" LOL...kid got some quickness, i saw him hit a LB in the hole with a spin move, he got tackled for a 1 yard gain, but he left dude on the ground....decent speed and hands too, made that nice catch on the sideline before the half/end of quarter......I dont know why the pulled him out to put in Barber.....I feel everyone would know what they have in Barber on their team......I wanted to see Patterson in there....

Glad injuries were avoided....or any I heard of.

Cheers.

I love what KJ Wright used to be, but to me there’s a reason why Seattle didn’t keep him and why no one else has signed him yet. He’s a name so naturally fans want our teams to sign him but there must be a reason he is unsigned. Maybe he has an injury issue or has lost a step that coaches see when us fans don’t. I’ll be shocked if we sign him, even though it wouldn’t hurt to give him a look. 

It also could be a $ thing. If Wright is going to play, he probably wants to make near the $10 million that Seattle paid him last year and teams don’t want to pay that much for an aging vet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He’s looking like a good pick despite what his detractors said about him on draft day bc they hadn’t heard of him.

Looking like a good pick going up against our QBs lol

With that said, I’d love to be wrong about him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Heard this on his press conference. Good for him. Nice to see how well this 7th rd pick has done. I guess it helped being Zach Wilson’s main target. Definitely an underdog to make the team but it’s looking good so far. 

I'm really hoping he and Patterson can make the final 53. Love  our young guys !

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 5:27 PM, turtle28 said:

He’s looking like a good pick despite what his detractors said about him on draft day bc they hadn’t heard of him.

I’ll keep it real from what I’ve seen with my own eyes. He’s not the same player he was at Minnesota. He’s the player he was at the senior bowl. He’s more then just sticky I think he’s becoming a playmaker. The games clearly slowing down and good for him!!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Heard this on his press conference. Good for him. Nice to see how well this 7th rd pick has done. I guess it helped being Zach Wilson’s main target. Definitely an underdog to make the team but it’s looking good so far. 

I don’t know how he was a 7th other then you don’t have to spend a high pick on a slot guy with his traits. Watching Zach over and over and over I literally drafted Milne in ever mock in the 6th because he was there and his value was too high. This guys a gamer. 

• Like 2