Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Watson is innocent until the NFL has proof of something and they have investigated.

45 year old Joe Six-pack's opinion is meaningless as far as NFL punishment or suspension goes.

Pretending every woman has the same view on this is also pointless.

Ignorance of how 20-30 year old people live means nothing.

Puritanical views on number of masseuses or Instagram is also irrelevant.

It might play well on TMZ or sports talk radio but it does nothing to change the NFL's opinion.

Watson is getting pounded by a lunatic lawyer and a media circus, regardless of the merit of any accusation.

The NFL does not really care about the media or the lawyer. (as far as punishment goes)

Oh they absolutely do.

1 hour ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I wouldn't beat yourself up my dude, if this really IS him then he had us all fooled. I looked at him as similar to how I see Patty. Especially when he gave some cash to the lunch lady at the stadium, he seemed like a good dude. I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

I think we're always surprised in these situations because we, myself included, forget that good and evil are not mutually exclusive.

Deshaun Watson can absolutely be a generous, positive influence on many peoples lives, like the lunch lady, while at the same time be a complete sexual predator.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Does anyone think that Big Ben would have been shown the same leniency? 

In 2021? No. But he got off fairly easy in the early/mid 2000s.  

While the league's overall track record with player discipline is undoubtedly scatter shot and a general joke, it's important to recognize the differences in today. 

One of the most powerful governors in the United States just got forced to resign over less than what Deshaun Watson is being accused of. Roethlisberger, Watson, the Bengal's camp kicker....you name it, these types of accusations don't just go away anymore.

I still maintain that there is virtually no way anyone trades for Watson until this gets squared away, if ever. Houston would be best served trying to find any possible way to save as much of that money they gave him as possible right now..

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

In 2021? No. But he got off fairly easy in the early/mid 2000s.  

While the league's overall track record with player discipline is undoubtedly scatter shot and a general joke, it's important to recognize the differences in today. 

One of the most powerful governors in the United States just got forced to resign over less than what Deshaun Watson is being accused of. Roethlisberger, Watson, the Bengal's camp kicker....you name it, these types of accusations don't just go away anymore.

I still maintain that there is virtually no way anyone trades for Watson until this gets squared away, if ever. Houston would be best served trying to find any possible way to save as much of that money they gave him as possible right now..

I mean...even if there are not criminal charges brought. If he loses even one of these civil cases...he has to get suspended...right?

18 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I mean...even if there are not criminal charges brought. If he loses even one of these civil cases...he has to get suspended...right?

My gut instinct is that the NFL is an entity that is sensitive to public outcry once it becomes enough to make sponsors and such skittish. 

In that regard, I'm surprised at the restraint they've shown thus far in practically blacklisting him before anything comes to fruition one way or another. 

If he loses one of the civil cases and nothing else, he'll probably get some minor damage control suspension. God forbid anything else go wrong, I'm genuinely not sure he plays again. 

28 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

You would think that if that did happen, that the league would consider that Watson has in fact, brought the game into disrepute, or "tarnished the shield" as the saying goes, that they would enforce some form of punishment on Watson to show that they are doing something as a reaction to it.

I've said this previously. I'm amazed that the NFL hasn't done anything already such as putting him on the exempt list. Sure Watson has not been found guilty of anything at the moment but it seems logical to take Watson out of the spotlight for the time being until the cases are settled. It wouldn't be the NFL saying he was guilty, more you have something serious going on in your life right now and you need to go through that process and be away from the league whilst doing so. 

Edited by PFM18

8 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

I've said this previously. I'm amazed that the NFL hasn't done anything already such as putting him on the exempt list

Has the league taken any action this early in any "situation" with another player before? He hasn't been indicted, he hasn't even met with the league to discuss, the league hasn't seen any of the evidence or spoken with anyone involved in the criminal cases (I understand). So, I guess it makes sense no action has been taken, and the league has historically had a pretty low bar/zero tolerance policy on stuff like this. I suspect they're just waiting for the indictment(s) to drop and then he'll immediately go on the exempt list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Has the league taken any action this early in any "situation" with another player before? He hasn't been indicted, he hasn't even met with the league to discuss, the league hasn't seen any of the evidence or spoken with anyone involved in the criminal cases (I understand). So, I guess it makes sense no action has been taken, and the league has historically had a pretty low bar/zero tolerance policy on stuff like this. I suspect they're just waiting for the indictment(s) to drop and then he'll immediately go on the exempt list.

I agree that the NFL will certainly act once something serious as that happens in the case, but if the NFL is so clouded on what the situation is with Watson, then surely putting him on the exempt list whilst more clarity is retrieved would be an ideal solution. Isn't that what the exempt list is for?

It just feels like the NFL doesn't want to confront it or address it until they really have to.

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The NFL does not really care about the media or the lawyer. (as far as punishment goes)

I'd just like to call nonsense on this. The NFL's conduct policy explicitly states that the league can and will suspend you for bringing negative PR on the league. That is in fact what they suspended Roethlisberger for in 2010 (who was never charged with anything, and as far as anyone can tell never paid a dime to his accusers).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

I'd just like to call nonsense on this. The NFL's conduct policy explicitly states that the league can and will suspend you for bringing negative PR on the league. That is in fact what they suspended Roethlisberger for in 2010 (who was never charged with anything, and as far as anyone can tell never paid a dime to his accusers).

why does it look like you're quoting me :(

6 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

He is getting suspended regardless. It will happen. The civil cases won’t dictate that, the PR and the news will likely dictate how long the suspension is unless he is criminally charged which seems not nearly as likely atm. If there are criminal charges there will be an indefinite suspension. 

6 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

He is getting suspended regardless. It will happen. The civil cases won’t dictate that, the PR and the news will likely dictate how long the suspension is unless he is criminally charged which seems not nearly as likely atm. If there are criminal charges there will be an indefinite suspension. 

But if that is the the case, how could a team trade for him right now?

So Watson is 4th string on the Texans depth chart for now. And I heard he took reps at safety? Is this a PR/revenge stunt by the Texans to make Watson work his way back into their good graces??? If he's 4th string, will he not then be getting the majority of reps in practice? Unless they're really working on a trade, should they not then be preparing him as best as possible to be the opening day starter since clearly he gives them the best chance to win?