Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

16 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Texans sources screaming at the top of their lungs that a trade is imminent lol

While I don't disagree with you for the most part - this feels different this time as we're working through the news cycle. The collective group that's reporting it is vastly different than the Jay Glazer/Adam Schefter-types looking for clicks, y'know? 

Mark Berman is now the gold standard in Houston regarding the Texans, and John McClain is still connected (not AS connected as when Jamey Rootes was with the Texans, but still connected). Sean Pendergast with local 610 radio is saying he's hearing stuff, Sean Salisbury with local 790 is stating things on his local show (more on this one) and Seth Payne (610) is hearing things.

In the case of Berman/McClain/Pendergast/Payne - they all have sources inside the building, but not the same people.

- Berman is the guy who is probably the most connected with camp Caserio/Easterby.

- McClain is connected to the league office, so he might have the most insight to what the NFL will do in regards to suspension.

- Pendergast is pretty much in well with the PR teams and those on the business side of the Texans.

- Payne (an original member of the expansion Houston Texans from 2002) has the in with the locker room. He still mentors a few players.

So, that's covering a lot of varied ground inside the Texans organization - people who are pro-Caserio/Easterby, anti-Caserio/Easterby, players who are in good graces and players who are in some sort of doghouse. Given this - and given the overall dysfunction with the Texans - I can't see ALL of those sources in lockstep right now.

This is all nice, but I left out Sean Salisbury; He's on a rival sports station in Houston, so he might not have the same whisperers in the Texans building - but the radio gig itself is his 2nd job. His first job is as a relatively well known private QB coach, and he's gone on in length about his friendship with Watson's own private QB coach, Quincy Avery. So, if Salisbury is singing some sort of tune in this direction, it's more or less than likely it's coming from team Watson, not team Caserio/Easterby. So, that takes me back to the point above: Do I expect team Caserio/Easterby to be aligned with team Watson on this? Possibly, but not to the level which what we're seeing now. For all intents and purposes, there's not much talking between these two camps at all.

Final thought - with the exception of McClain (who is living off of reputation and hasn't had a decent fastball since the 00s) this group is a smart group; They can sniff out orchestrated efforts and and subtlety turn it away as fluff, without exposing a source. To this point? None of them have. Now, it's possible that the Texans really pulled one over their collective heads, but as I said - do you see an organization THIS stupid suddenly outsmarting the nerve center of sports media in Houston?

I can't really see that. Doesn't mean it CAN'T be the case, but that's a leap of faith - it would be like thinking a college team could beat an NFL team, there's simply not enough talent in the Texans FO to get THIS many professional media members to think there's something to it.

That's just my read on this particular situation. Could go either way, but if the Texans can fool THIS many smart people into action, then they're not as incompetent as we make them out to be.

TL;DR - I can see Berman getting fooled. I could see McClain getting fooled. I could see Pendergast getting fooled. I could see Payne getting fooled. I could see Salisbury getting fooled.

I don't know if I could see ALL of them getting fooled.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

While I don't disagree with you for the most part - this feels different this time as we're working through the news cycle. The collective group that's reporting it is vastly different than the Jay Glazer/Adam Schefter-types looking for clicks, y'know? 

Mark Berman is now the gold standard in Houston regarding the Texans, and John McClain is still connected (not AS connected as when Jamey Rootes was with the Texans, but still connected). Sean Pendergast with local 610 radio is saying he's hearing stuff, Sean Salisbury with local 790 is stating things on his local show (more on this one) and Seth Payne (610) is hearing things.

In the case of Berman/McClain/Pendergast/Payne - they all have sources inside the building, but not the same people.

- Berman is the guy who is probably the most connected with camp Caserio/Easterby.

- McClain is connected to the league office, so he might have the most insight to what the NFL will do in regards to suspension.

- Pendergast is pretty much in well with the PR teams and those on the business side of the Texans.

- Payne (an original member of the expansion Houston Texans from 2002) has the in with the locker room. He still mentors a few players.

So, that's covering a lot of varied ground inside the Texans organization - people who are pro-Caserio/Easterby, anti-Caserio/Easterby, players who are in good graces and players who are in some sort of doghouse. Given this - and given the overall dysfunction with the Texans - I can't see ALL of those sources in lockstep right now.

This is all nice, but I left out Sean Salisbury; He's on a rival sports station in Houston, so he might not have the same whisperers in the Texans building - but the radio gig itself is his 2nd job. His first job is as a relatively well known private QB coach, and he's gone on in length about his friendship with Watson's own private QB coach, Quincy Avery. So, if Salisbury is singing some sort of tune in this direction, it's more or less than likely it's coming from team Watson, not team Caserio/Easterby. So, that takes me back to the point above: Do I expect team Caserio/Easterby to be aligned with team Watson on this? Possibly, but not to the level which what we're seeing now. For all intents and purposes, there's not much talking between these two camps at all.

Final thought - with the exception of McClain (who is living off of reputation and hasn't had a decent fastball since the 00s) this group is a smart group; They can sniff out orchestrated efforts and and subtlety turn it away as fluff, without exposing a source. To this point? None of them have. Now, it's possible that the Texans really pulled one over their collective heads, but as I said - do you see an organization THIS stupid suddenly outsmarting the nerve center of sports media in Houston?

I can't really see that. Doesn't mean it CAN'T be the case, but that's a leap of faith - it would be like thinking a college team could beat an NFL team, there's simply not enough talent in the Texans FO to get THIS many professional media members to think there's something to it.

That's just my read on this particular situation. Could go either way, but if the Texans can fool THIS many smart people into action, then they're not as incompetent as we make them out to be.

TL;DR - I can see Berman getting fooled. I could see McClain getting fooled. I could see Pendergast getting fooled. I could see Payne getting fooled. I could see Salisbury getting fooled.

I don't know if I could see ALL of them getting fooled.

They  arent being fooled. They're media chasing a highly controversial, recycled, story. Until there's something tangible, it's basically glorified gossip.

I do think there's a chance the Panthers bite, though.

I could absolutely see the Fins being dumb enough to do this.  Ross just can't keep his fingers out of things and has been pretty vocal about his desire for Watson in the past.  

Honestly, after the stupid trades that Houston has made with Miami in the past, it just seems fitting that Miami will turn around and make a stupid trade with Houston.  They can enjoy being Jets-West and Jets-South together.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They  arent being fooled. They're media chasing a highly controversial, recycled, story.

But they're validating these talking points from various sources inside the building - from day to day people to players to high ranking officials. What are the odds that ALL of these sources in the organization are in lockstep, saying the same thing? Unless there was some level of coordination, very small.

This isn't the national guys, this is all local media in Houston - they don't have chase leads, they have to simply send a text to someone and get confirmation. 

That's why this is different.

Just now, ET80 said:

But they're validating these talking points from various sources inside the building - from day to day people to players to high ranking officials. What are the odds that ALL of these sources in the organization are in lockstep, saying the same thing? Unless there was some level of coordination, very small.

This isn't the national guys, this is all local media in Houston - they don't have chase leads, they have to simply send a text to someone and get confirmation. 

That's why this is different.

Yeah, and the people int he Texans organization are mroe than happy to confirm that the Texans are close to getting a trade done

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Yeah, and the people int he Texans organization are mroe than happy to confirm that the Texans are close to getting a trade done

ALL of them - in a highly dysfunctional organization that is divided between pro-Caserio/Easterby and anti-Caserio/Easterby? In an organization that has large pockets of pro-Watson people?

You're thinking very highly of an organization that is proving it is incredibly incompetent.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

ALL of them - in a highly dysfunctional organization that is divided between pro-Caserio/Easterby and anti-Caserio/Easterby? In an organization that has large pockets of pro-Watson people?

You're thinking very highly of an organization that is proving it is incredibly incompetent.

I mean it is the truth from the Texans perspective - the Texans want to trade Watson as soon as possible. Don't even need confirmation from the organization for that, really.

33 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean it is the truth from the Texans perspective - the Texans want to trade Watson as soon as possible.

This is very vague and ambiguous at best - what's coming out from local sources is pretty specific on who, why and when.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This is very vague and ambiguous at best - what's coming out from local sources is pretty specific on who, why and when.

Which were all wrong before.

Trade makes even less sense from a Dolphins perspective now than it did in the offseason. As I said though, the Panthers are a team to potentially keep an eye on.