Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

7 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Matt Rhule has publicly denied interest in Watson.

I don't think we trade for him before the deadline, but what Matt Rhule says in public should be taken with a grain of salt.

Just now, iknowcool said:

I don't think we trade for him before the deadline, but what Matt Rhule says in public should be taken with a grain of salt.

I absolutely agree it could be a lie, but at least it is a response and less of a distraction for Carolina for Darnold it was also a public voice of confidence. For Miami after a loss to Jacksonville travelling back from England to face the Falcons coming off a bye week it is definitely an unnecessary distraction. Maybe Miami has addressed it internally but what is to gain from that.  

50 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Which were all wrong before.

Nobody LOCALLY said anything - yeah, Glazer and Schefter are wrong, but when has a Houston reporter originated this topic?

51 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Trade makes even less sense from a Dolphins perspective now than it did in the offseason.

I don't agree, but you know more than I do on Miami.

52 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

As I said though, the Panthers are a team to potentially keep an eye on.

Why them over Miami? Is it simply record?

35 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The Texans would have to move him far undervalue to make such a risk worthwhile.

Which is EXACTLY what I think is about to happen. The franchise is losing money - not dead cap, but actual money, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. They need something to get excitement back in the building and a Watson trade would get the team trending in a direction that will appease some who have walked away.

It's not going to be David Johnson and a 2nd round pick bad, but it's going to make the Matt Stafford deal look pretty expensive, IMO.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

They're a QB away from competing (they are potentially a QB away from competing this season with Watson), and their current guy wasn't a recent top 5 pick.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Nobody LOCALLY said anything - yeah, Glazer and Schefter are wrong, but when has a Houston reporter originated this topic?

I don't agree, but you know more than I do on Miami.

I get where Nacho is coming from. It makes less sense to make a midseason trade for a player when you don't see any chance of really being competitive at midseason. The big hang up with Watson is waiting to see what happens to him in the coming offseason, so if you don't believe adding him now makes you competitive this year, it makes far more sense to wait for the results and then see about a trade.

Unless there's a competitive trade market, anyway. Then time becomes more sensitive.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

They're a QB away from competing (they are potentially a QB away from competing this season with Watson), and their current guy wasn't a recent top 5 pick.

Doesn't this apply to Miami (in a weaker division/conference, with 11 games to go)?

Three WCs are up for grabs - 2nd place in the AFCW will undoubtedly get one, 2nd place in AFCN will probably get one, and nobody outside of Tennessee is going in the AFCS.

Why couldn't Miami back into a spot with a guy who is actually very talented on the field?

Just now, ET80 said:

Which is EXACTLY what I think is about to happen. The franchise is losing money - not dead cap, but actual money, ticket sales, merchandise, etc. They need something to get excitement back in the building and a Watson trade would get the team trending in a direction that will appease some who have walked away.

Certainly, Houston wants to make a trade, and the sooner the better.

It's not going to be David Johnson and a 2nd round pick bad, but it's going to make the Matt Stafford deal look pretty expensive, IMO.

That's what it would take though, imo. Would have to be so lopsided that it makes up for the Dolphins to give up on their initial plan for the season, while inheriting the uncertainty and media circus.

Mind you, I don't expect the Texans to concede to a trade going that low. Which is why I think it's not happening.

36 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

By no means was it my intention to defame or slander forum moderator ET80.

THE REST OF YOU PEOPLE COULD TAKE NOTES FROM THIS GUY!

I like you. One day, we're gonna have a beer. And I'mma pay for it!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Doesn't this apply to Miami (in a weaker division/conference, with 11 games to go)?

Three WCs are up for grabs - 2nd place in the AFCW will undoubtedly get one, 2nd place in AFCN will probably get one, and nobody outside of Tennessee is going in the AFCS.

Why couldn't Miami back into a spot with a guy who is actually very talented on the field?

We're 1-5, bro. 2 games back from a current wildcard (owned by the Chiefs). 9% chance to make the playoffs according to PlayoffStatus.

Carolina is currently sitting outside the playoff bubble only via tiebreaker at 3-3. 28% chance per PlayoffStatus.

A step up from Darnold to Watson could put them over the edge.

Watson isn't winning 9 of the next 11 in Miami, which would be basically required to even have a chance at a playoff berth.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They're 3 games back from that spot, already. They've lost tiebreakers already to the Raiders and Colts, who will be in that low level wildcard race, and are 1-4 in conference. It's very likely they have to go like 9-2 down the stretch to get in that conversation (with games left against Buffalo, Baltimore, Tennessee, Carolina, and New Orleans), and I really doubt they're that team even if Watson comes in and immediately plays at peak (which is also pretty doubtful, IMO, given the new team and time off.)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

THE REST OF YOU PEOPLE COULD TAKE NOTES FROM THIS GUY!

I like you. One day, we're gonna have a beer. And I'mma pay for it!

Thanks for being a good sport about it! And sounds good. Hit me up whenever you're planning to visit Europe.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DutchFalcon said:

Before anyone gets upset. Above post is 100% fiction and purely intended as satire. By no means was it my intention to defame or slander forum moderator ET80. Who in fact is a really cool guy. If you, as the reader, thought the post wasn’t funny at all and has no place on these forums; I’m sorry my humor isn’t for you. I realize its niche and bad but I do hope I didn’t upset you too much.

Why on earth would I write what I did? I’ve been sick all week bored out of my mind reading some noir stuff so when I saw that post by ET I was suddenly inspired. That and I think this cough syrup might have gotten me high.

I liked it. The only thing I would change is the bolded. It would be roughly 150% better if you would have done the honorable thing and simply attempted to defame and slander him. 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I liked it. The only thing I would change is the bolded. It would be roughly 150% better if you would have done the honorable thing and simply attempted to defame and slander him. 

While I too like to dabble in fine the art of ****posting at times, I am but an amature compared to you Matts4313.

I felt the bolded part was needed because not including that would have been dishonest of my intention. Additionaly my lawyer attended me to some case law that showed that going off-topic with like a 7 paragraph post in which one implies a moderator has an unhealthy obession with something, isn't able to distinguish the difference between a message parlour and a Hooters and asks a female employee to commit lewd sexual behaviour - generally speaking- is asking for trouble. Luckily calling Hooters a seedy place was a-okay though.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, ET80 said:

As Nacho put it, Miami's season is essentially done already. 

At 1-5, they're near the bottom of the conference. Assuming a trade happened today, the earliest Watson would see the field would probably be @ Buffalo in week 8. 

Best case scenario, Miami beats Atlanta and goes into that game 2-5. 

@ Buffalo is almost a guaranteed loss. 

Hosting the Texans would be a tossup at this point. But let's go with a win. It would probably be a win without Watson. 

Hosting Baltimore is a loss. 

@ NYJ is probably a win, with or without Watson. 

Vs Carolina, a tossup? 

Vs Giants? Win, with or without. 

Vs NYJ? Win, with or without. 

@ Saints is probably a loss. 

@ Tennessee is probably a loss 

Vs New England? Tossup. 

At best, the Dolphins are already looking at 9 losses, 5 wins, and 3 tossups. Does Watson actually change the outcome of enough games they need to win? I doubt it. The remaining winnable games are already winnable. 

Realistically, Miami would be getting Watson to pad some stats and shoot to go 6-4 with him at the helm. A lot would have to break their way to even sniff the 7th seed, even if they managed to improve enough to go 7-3 with him Manning the offense, given that they're already 2 games behind the 7th-10th seeds.  

For Miami, the season's damage is already pretty much done. They'd be acquiring Watson for about 10 games and hoping for a future beyond 2021 that very much may not exist. Before their season went off the rails, I could've seen it. But now? What's the point? May as well wait til the offseason and hope for some clarity on his future. Carolina or Denver or someone on the cusp of the hunt would make sense, but Miami is SOOOO far behind and has such a small margin of error coupled with needing other teams to lose a few games that a Watson move now is just a moot point.