Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Didn't you guys pick up Darnolds option for next year?

Yeah but we have a TON of cap space so it isn't that big of a deal.  And Joe Person just tweeted that we are expected to be involved in the Watson talks.  I could be wrong but that is the first official time one of our beat writers actually said we'd pursue Watson.  Person isn't tweeting that if he didn't actually hear from someone close to the FO.

And just want to say, this is not me saying I want the Panthers to get him.  If it happened, I really don't know how I would feel.  I've always been one who tries to ignore the off-the-field stuff and just enjoy the sport, but what Watson is accused of goes way, way beyond that.  

But I do think we are going to make a huge push for him.  We were willing to part with a 1st for Stafford.  So I think we'll definitely be willing to give up a lot of compensation for Watson.

I also think Darnold could be involved in the deal.  You don't just bench your starting QB in a 18-3 game to "provide a spark," and then say you've still got complete confidence in him.  With how fast the Panthers were willing to move on from Bridgewater despite the contract we gave him, I think the Panthers will probably give up on Darnold sooner than later.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Yeah but we have a TON of cap space so it isn't that big of a deal.  And Joe Person just tweeted that we are expected to be involved in the Watson talks.  I could be wrong but that is the first official time one of our beat writers actually said we'd pursue Watson.  Person isn't tweeting that if he didn't actually hear from someone close to the FO.

And just want to say, this is not me saying I want the Panthers to get him.  If it happened, I really don't know how I would feel.  I've always been one who tries to ignore the off-the-field stuff and just enjoy the sport, but what Watson is accused of goes way, way beyond that.  

But I do think we are going to make a huge push for him.  We were willing to part with a 1st for Stafford.  So I think we'll definitely be willing to give up a lot of compensation for Watson.

I also think Darnold could be involved in the deal.  You don't just bench your starting QB in a 18-3 game to "provide a spark," and then say you've still got complete confidence in him.  With how fast the Panthers were willing to move on from Bridgewater despite the contract we gave him, I think the Panthers will probably give up on Darnold sooner than later.

End of the day, it’ll come down to which team Deshaun waives his no-move for. Its been reported Miami has an offer on the table, I assume Houston is waiting to the last minute to see if another team is going to one up them but if Watson doesn’t waive for that team then its all moot and he’s going to Miami. 

I think it all gets settled this week so its going to be a crazy week ahead. Whichever team ends up with him will have to deal with the media circus that comes with it

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Y'all should do it. You have a lot of great pieces. Darnold has just proven to be Darnold.

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

After the benching of Sam Darnold today and with how aggressive the Panthers front office is.... this story is going to heat up REAL soon.

Yup - I see Carolina coming over the top with this.

I hope that PJ Walker is included in the deal - the former Roughnecks QB has a cult following in Houston following his XFL MVP stint.

I'd consider buying a PJ Walker jersey...

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I hope that PJ Walker is included in the deal - the former Roughnecks QB has a cult following in Houston following his XFL MVP stint.

he is the messiah 

• Like 1

The NFL media so badly wants Deshaun Watson to play but I really hope the league front offices will show some integrity and not play him. My faith is low though.

i lost a lot of respect for guys like Rich Eisen at the draft playing stupid about this Watson stuff. The hush job is well under way.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, ET80 said:

Will Watson agree to the move though? I know there were rumors Philly was interested but Watson said it aint happening not sure how real that was or not but he is only one of few people who actually have a no trade clause and with Watson anything is possible in where he will ruin any chance of trade if he isnt happy with his new possible destination.

13 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Will Watson agree to the move though? I know there were rumors Philly was interested but Watson said it aint happening not sure how real that was or not but he is only one of few people who actually have a no trade clause and with Watson anything is possible in where he will ruin any chance of trade if he isnt happy with his new possible destination.

From all that I've read, Carolina is on a short-list of teams that Watson would approve going to.  And he went to school in Clemson.  I think he'd welcome moving back to the Carolinas.

No exempt list if Watson is traded... that changes everything.  I don't see us getting him though. Miami just has way more capital to offer and they seem desperate.  

I think we know something by the end of this week though.  IF teams do want him, then I think you need to pull it off this week.  Cause he likely won't be ready to play Week 8.  If you trade for him next week, then again probably misses Week 9 and then doesn't play until Week 10 at best.  If you are Carolina that could make the difference between making the playoffs or not, as we're sitting at 3-4 with 2 games against the Bucs and a Cards game left.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

From all that I've read, Carolina is on a short-list of teams that Watson would approve going to.  And he went to school in Clemson.  I think he'd welcome moving back to the Carolinas.

No exempt list if Watson is traded... that changes everything.

Yea I dont know what his short list is all I have heard for several months was Miami San fran and denver but wasnt sure if Carolina would be involved. Are you saying the NFL has mentioned that he will not be on the exempt list or this is just speculation? Texans have saved the NFL thus far with the inactive each week so I am not sure if the NFL will step in or not if he is traded to say he will be suspended or put on the list due to his ongoing investigation? 

Edited by soflbillsfan

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

Yea I dont know what his short list is all I have heard for several months was Miami San fran and denver but wasnt sure if Carolina would be involved. Are you saying the NFL has mentioned that he will not be on the exempt list or this is just speculation? Texans have saved the NFL thus far with the inactive each week so I am not sure if the NFL will step in or not if he is traded to say he will be suspended or put on the list due to his ongoing investigation? 

Now this does not consider what would happen if the public backlash went crazy.  That would almost certainly change the NFL's stance.  But we'll see.  I could see the NFL just weathering the storm until the press dies down. 

• Like 1