Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

14 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

There aren't settlements for criminal cases.

But there are NDAs signed during civil settlements that prohibit further communication to authorities on a case (criminal or civil). Only way to get around that would be to issue a subpoena, and that's not likely for a Class B Misdemeanor. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

But there are NDAs signed during civil settlements that prohibit further communication to authorities on a case (criminal or civil). Only way to get around that would be to issue a subpoena, and that's not likely for a Class B Misdemeanor. 

Buzbee stated that any settlement he agrees to with his clients would not contain a NDA.

Nor should it. NDA are a hard violation of a person's first amendment rights that have been tolerated for FAR TOO LONG in this country.

16 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But, if that happens, just how on earth do you think this leads to him being traded?

Because there are people who operate without a moral compass and will bring on a top 5 talent at the position - which is who Watson is.

There will be blowback, people will  be enraged - but if Watson takes a team to 13-3 and is putting up MVP numbers, that blowback will slowly start to fade away.

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Buzbee stated that any settlement he agrees to with his clients would not contain a NDA.

And I will tell you that Tony Buzbee is FULL of it - he's not as bad as Watson, but he's not too far from him (for different reasons, mind you).

He'll say whatever he has to say to grandstand, but will cut his own children's neck if it meant a payout he's wanting.

Just now, ET80 said:

And I will tell you that Tony Buzbee is FULL of it - he's not as bad as Watson, but he's not too far from him.

He'll say whatever he has to say to grandstand, but will cut his own children's neck if it meant a payout he's wanting.

Tony Buzbee is full of it

but he's not in the same conversation as Watson. Watson is an actual criminal.

but to put it another way

NDA at this point = admission of Watson's guilt to the Public

admission of Watsons's guilt to the Public = Public denouncemnt

Public denouncement has been the shining precedent of things that the NFL actually does take action on.

Waton's screwed. As he should be.

• Like 1

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Tony Buzbee is full of it

but he's not in the same conversation as Watson. Watson is an actual criminal.

Check the edit. Buzbee is a "lack of moral compass" guy.

Let's say Buzbee bought the Texans from Cal McNair. He's the type of guy who'd pay Watson back for the settlement (along with a sweetener) then connect with coyotes and traffickers to make sure Watson had a supply of massage therapists, all in an effort to have a great QB (or he'd sign Johnny Manziel, a guy I'm convinced Buzbee kept rich and "supplied" in College Station).

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think we've seen it enough to say that it's on the table - and that's just for charges getting dropped. As far as no jail time? There is a litany of pathways to get that done, all which take a lawyer skilled in getting deals done - which is exactly who Rusty Hardin is (ask Roger Clemens). Plea deals, deferred adjudication, pre-trial interventions, pleading guilty to a lesser charge, plea of no contest with concessions of settlements and community service - the entire playbook is open for a guy who has millions at his disposal.

It shouldn't be, he should have to spend a significant amount of time in jail. But that's not how our system likes to work.

That's provided Watson gets all that sort of stuff to work. And, given the nature of his crimes (and they are crimes)...that's unlikely. 

Why do feel that it is? What does Clemens have to do with it?

What team do you see trading for Watson, with all this crap swirling around?

Just now, ET80 said:

Check the edit. Buzbee is a "lack of moral compass" guy.

Let's say Buzbee bought the Texans from Cal McNair. He's the type of guy who'd pay Watson back for the settlement (along with a sweetener) then connect with coyotes and traffickers to make sure Watson had a supply of massage therapists, all in an effort to have a great QB (or he'd sign Johnny Manziel, a guy I'm convinced Buzbee kept rich and "supplied" in College Station).

Maybe I 'm just getting emotional because my sister was a victim of a similar case but **** Watson.

I'd renounce my modship 100% to sit here and tell you that Watson needs to never play another down in the NFL. Watson should be in jail. I hate Watson and cannot be silent on this matter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

but to put it another way

NDA at this point = admission of Watson's guilt to the Public

admission of Watsons's guilt to the Public = Public denouncemnt

Public denouncement has been the shining precedent of things that the NFL actually does take action on.

Waton's screwed. As he should be.

Hmm... I don't think I disagree with this, but I get the feeling the NFL would find a path around this.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Maybe I 'm just getting emotional because my sister was a victim of a similar case but **** Watson.

I'd renounce my modship 100% to sit here and tell you that Watson needs to never play another down in the NFL. Watson should be in jail. I hate Watson and cannot be silent on this matter.

i'm going to bed. dont fire me webby. ill be ok.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There are no NDAs signed after the fact. And there are no NDAs in criminal matters. At all. If someone attempted such a thing, any judge (yes, even a Texas judge)would throw it out immediately. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

That's provided Watson gets all that sort of stuff to work. And, given the nature of his crimes (and they are crimes)...that's unlikely. 

I totally disagree this wouldn't work - in fact, these are the instances in which it's traditionally used. Pay out hush money, make it go away.

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Why do feel that it is? What does Clemens have to do with it?

Rusty Hardin is the lawyer who got Clemens off for Perjury to Congress - minimum five years in prison, along with a $250,000 fine. Clemens was charged, the judge flat out said "You're gonna go to jail if you're convicted" and Hardin got him off with absolutely nothing.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/roger-clemens-leaning-rusty-hardin-save-lawyer-flexes-muscles-opening-statement-article-1.1069129

So, that's my way of saying Rusty Hardin is good at his job, and I don't want to bet against him doing something similar in this case.

9 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What team do you see trading for Watson, with all this crap swirling around?

I really don't know, to be blunt. But a market tends to rise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I totally disagree this wouldn't work - in fact, these are the instances in which it's traditionally used. Pay out hush money, make it go away.

Yet again...you can't pay out "hush money", and make a criminal charge go away. 

That's not how it works. Once the criminal justice system has a hold of the case, they continue to work on it. Watson currently has ten different criminal charges filed against him.