Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

17 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, it is semantics. You can pretend otherwise, but that's what that is. Charges have been brought, but the state (or county, or city, or whomever) haven't levelled them against Watson. Do you honestly think that won't happen? And, if so, do you honestly think that significantly increases the odds of some other franchise trading for Watson? Which franchise do you believe would do that? 

What exactly is your overall point? 

No charges have been brought against watson yet.  Some of these women have made police reports with the Houston PD alleging sexual misconduct by Watson.  No more, no less.  None of that means anything until the police investigate it and determine that there is validity to her/their claims and bring it to their prosecuting authority for them to review the police investigation (generally the case with felonies depending on jurisdiction).  If it’s a misdemeanor, then the police can typically bypass getting approval from the prosecution and just got ahead and make the arrest and charge him.  Watson has not been charged with a crime as of this time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

And are you hell-bent on defending a guy who is most likely a sexual predator?

THIS is your takeaway!?

Holy hell, you're so driven to be correct you're ignoring the forest for the trees.

Just admit you're wrong, actually read what we're saying, holy hell.

I'm done debating folks defending a guy who is about 95% certain to be a loathsome sexual predator. 

Show me once where we defended the guy. We're explaining how the legal system works to somebody who apparently has absolutely NO understanding of the legal system, and is digging his heels in evensomuch to use actual legal terms incorrectly, and then continues to do so, well after several people (including a LEO on this site) tell him it's incorrect.

Have a nice thread. It's a good look for the site. 

It is, but I don't think you're actually reading anything here. 

• Like 1

Skipping all the arguing about the legal aspects, what are the potential teams for Deshaun anyways? Denver with Lock/Bridgewater? Carolina with Darnold? Denver is the only one that makes sense to me as they are arguably a Deshaun away from being a SB contender. Assuming the rest of the off the field isn't an issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Skipping all the arguing about the legal aspects, what are the potential teams for Deshaun anyways? Denver with Lock/Bridgewater? Carolina with Darnold? Denver is the only one that makes sense to me as they are arguably a Deshaun away from being a SB contender. Assuming the rest of the off the field isn't an issue.

I think - next year, NYG will be sitting on two FRPs and a chance to upgrade from Danny Jones. 

NY media would be interesting to see in this case, so who knows.

36 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Oh my god. This is utterly insane. 

Yes...the complaints aren't officially "charges", until the Houston PD actually files them against Watson. Do you think they won't

And are you hell-bent on defending a guy who is most likely a sexual predator? Because that's disgusting, and beyond reprehensible...and that's what I'm seeing in this thread. 

What are you even saying? 

The civil cases are automatically garbage? Or the criminal cases are?

I'm done debating folks defending a guy who is about 95% certain to be a loathsome sexual predator. 

Have a nice thread. It's a good look for the site. 

Im not defending Watson, why would I be doing that? Just mapping out a very REAL way he could get off extremely light.

Complaints are written documents typically by the arresting officer. Not sure why you are using italics and quotes. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Charges are, in essence, what the defendant is defending against. A complaint is just a list of facts.

Finally, I am not disparaging civil suits or criminal cases. All I am saying is that if the witnesses are more interested in a civil settlement that hurts any criminal efforts. Im not sure what you aren't understanding. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Im not defending Watson, why would I be doing that? Just mapping out a very REAL way he could get off extremely light.

Complaints are written documents typically by the arresting officer. Not sure why you are using italics and quotes. You clearly don't know what you are talking about. Charges are, in essence, what the defendant is defending against. A complaint is just a list of facts.

Finally, I am not disparaging civil suits or criminal cases. All I am saying is that if the witnesses are more interested in a civil settlement that hurts any criminal efforts. Im not sure what you aren't understanding. 

Maybe that’s part of the confusion - the charging document being knows as a complaint vs. someone making a complaint/making an allegation/filing a report/etc.  maybe.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ET80 said:

THIS is your takeaway!?

Holy hell, you're so driven to be correct you're ignoring the forest for the trees.

Just admit you're wrong, actually read what we're saying, holy hell.

When you can't "win" a debate, just attack the person and not the issue.

• Like 2

Oh my god. This is utterly insane. 

Yes...the complaints aren't officially "charges", until the Houston PD actually files them against Watson. Do you think they won't

I feel like others have done a solid job of explaining the legal system and where you are having a disconnect over how the law works and what they are trying to say. I wanted to chime in though, on the quoted point where you say complaints have been filed which arent charges but then asking "do you think they (charges) won't be filed?"

And that's just something nobody here likely has any real ability to answer as it regards to Watson specifically. I doubt anyone here has any access to the case file in regards to the investigation into the criminal complaints against Watson. Such as witnesses statements, phone records, eye witness testimony, an interview with Watson himself, investigating potential alibis for dates in question, and so on. Without knowing what the investigation has uncovered, nobody can sit here and say with any degree of certainty whether charges are a certainty, a matter of time, or highly unlikely to be brought. 

What I can say with absolute certainty though, as someone that works in law enforcement, is it is not at all rare, unheard of, or unlikely for someone to file a criminal complaint accusing someone of committing a crime against them and ultimately end up with no charges being filed (and sometimes charges are brought against those making the complaint for falsifying it or the investigation shedding light on them actually being the perpetrator of a crime).

Without knowing any evidence from those investigating the claims, I can't say with regards to Watson on how confident I am charges are certainty coming at some point. I can say with literally 100% certainty that formal complaints of being the victim of a crime do not without question lead to criminal CHARGES being filed against the accused. That is something that can be said with total certainty. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I feel like others have done a solid job of explaining the legal system and where you are having a disconnect over how the law works and what they are trying to say. I wanted to chime in though, on the quoted point where you say complaints have been filed which arent charges but then asking "do you think they (charges) won't be filed?"

And that's just something nobody here likely has any real ability to answer as it regards to Watson specifically. I doubt anyone here has any access to the case file in regards to the investigation into the criminal complaints against Watson. Such as witnesses statements, phone records, eye witness testimony, an interview with Watson himself, investigating potential alibis for dates in question, and so on. Without knowing what the investigation has uncovered, nobody can sit here and say with any degree of certainty whether charges are a certainty, a matter of time, or highly unlikely to be brought. 

What I can say with absolute certainty though, as someone that works in law enforcement, is it is not at all rare, unheard of, or unlikely for someone to file a criminal complaint accusing someone of committing a crime against them and ultimately end up with no charges being filed (and sometimes charges are brought against those making the complaint for falsifying it or the investigation shedding light on them actually being the perpetrator of a crime).

Without knowing any evidence from those investigating the claims, I can't say with regards to Watson on how confident I am charges are certainty coming at some point. I can say with literally 100% certainty that formal complaints of being the victim of a crime do not without question lead to criminal CHARGES being filed against the accused. That is something that can be said with total certainty. 

Agreed - delayed CSA cases are incredibly difficult to charge since it’s almost always comes down to two peoples statements.  Many times the fact that a sexual act occurred between the two isn’t even disputed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

There are now ten criminal complaints in front of the Houston PD. You honestly think they all get dismissed? 

They won't. He'll end being charged, for at least a few of them...if not all. 

This doesn't get easier for Watson. It gets much, much uglier. Have you ever heard of a guy with all this hanging over him (in recent times) that simply just shrugs it all off, and walks away? 

Exactly what are you hearing locally? 

If we could discuss politics on this site, I could give you a laundry list.

• Like 3

Rodgers and Watson both reporting

Houston now being willing to trade Watson

Watson not going to generate a strong return

What happened to all the promise of this offseason? I wanted chaos! I wanted elite QBs sitting out and forcing trades!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

Let's say he is cleared from the allegations by holding on to Watson this year waiting for next year to trade him. You have teams with make or break years for QBs and the options of who may take him. Keep in mind outside of Rodgers, you don't really have a franchise qb available in Free Agency. As of right now the draft for QBs is looking pretty bare compared to this past draft. Teams who may be looking that do not have a franchise qb on the roster next year WFT, Denver, NOLA. Then you have teams who may be looking at their young qbs and see they just dont have what it takes  (keep in mind this is after 2021 season). Philly with Jalen Hurtz, Miami with Tua, Detroit with Goff (likely draft one), NYG with Daniel Jones, Carolina with Sam Darnold, Patriots (this one is a stretch but with the ties that Houston have to BB and BB going to be 70 he may not want to wait for McCorkle to develop). Not to mention a wild card team that may look to move on from one of their current Veterans. Thats why to me it just makes sense to hold on to him until the 2021 season plays out rather then trying to dump him now. It will give both Watson and the Texans an opportunity to get as much interest as possible. I think the dark horse will end up being WFT, they have a team ready to win now, different conference and pieces that can allow them to win. WFT only reason not to do it is with the backlash they have had in the organization about female related issues can be a negative that they are trying to clean up and bringing Watson in could cause further turmoil even if they would be a contender.

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think - next year, NYG will be sitting on two FRPs and a chance to upgrade from Danny Jones. 

NY media would be interesting to see in this case, so who knows.

I can't see the Giants FO going for that, unless he somehow gets exonerated on every single count (super unlikely). 

Philly is a more likely option.