Sources: Houston Texans now willing to trade QB Deshaun Watson

NYRaider

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

He's a 25 year old Elite QB, probably Top 4 in the league. Top 5 Minimum. He will fetch A LOT even with his off the field issues. 

He'll likely be 27 years old (start of next season) before he ever starts a NFL game again and he could be suspended about half of next season (6-8 games).

It's best for teams like the Eagles, Dolphins, etc to wait it out and see what happens with his legal stuff and how the league punishes him. 

Watson also has a no trade clause so he can bring down his value by dictating where he wants to go.

Also, what is considered "A LOT"?

• Like 1

It's damn near impossible to really talk about potential compensation in a situation like this.  Like, even before Watson's off-field troubles, we hadn't really seen a situation like this before where an established, young, borderline-elite quarterback was on the market.  Cutler was traded for a starting QB (granted, said QB was Kyle Orton) and 2 1st-round picks.  And Watson is miles better than Cutler ever was.

Tack on the off-field issues now and really there is no way of knowing what the Texans could reasonably get. 

48 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

He'll likely be 27 years old (start of next season) before he ever starts a NFL game again and he could be suspended about half of next season (6-8 games).

It's best for teams like the Eagles, Dolphins, etc to wait it out and see what happens with his legal stuff and how the league punishes him. 

Watson also has a no trade clause so he can bring down his value by dictating where he wants to go.

Also, what is considered "A LOT"?

The guy will fetch at least the equivalent of two 1st's and a second if traded for now (possibly more). If he ends up playing this season and does well, he's worth four 1st's. I said he was worth four firsts before any of this stuff happened. He's an Elite QB no where close to 30. Those being traded is a once in a lifetime event. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

The guy will fetch at least the equivalent of two 1st's and a second if traded for now (possibly more). If he ends up playing this season and does well, he's worth four 1st's. I said he was worth four firsts before any of this stuff happened. He's an Elite QB no where close to 30. Those being traded is a once in a lifetime event. 

If he gets off light which could happen.... what is stopping him from getting in trouble again?

It's not like he did this once with one woman or even twice, three, four or five times.

You're taking a definite risk with him even after this gets settled.

If he had a clean resume, then sure he could be worth 4 firsts, but not now. I could understand the 2 firsts and a second that you mentioned though. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

I think a lot of people have short memories if they think Watson is done or think the public will brand him as a pariah to the point where it would have any effect on his employment. Mike Vick was the biggest off field story I ever personally saw for an active football player. He did federal prison time and still made a very successful comeback on and off the field, and while he will always be disliked by some people, that number wasn't near large enough to stop him from getting jobs on NFL rosters and then a media job after his playing career.

Other examples: Adrian Peterson, Pac Man, Joe Mixon, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor, Aldon Smith, etc. As long as you are a good enough player, you can survive just about anything short of being caught red-handed for murder.

Watson's issue will play out, he'll pay some money, he may be suspended a few games, and then he'll go on to play. If he can get a guy like Tony Dungy in his corner to help rehab his image, he'll end up more than fine. Another controversy regarding another player will come up and by and large, this will be forgotten by the majority.

That isn't to say that this outcome is right or what should happen. I'm not defending any of what the players mentioned have done or been accused of whatsoever, that isn't the point. Just pointing out that second and third chances abound for very talented athletes whether they are morally warranted or not. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

I think a lot of people have short memories if they think Watson is done or think the public will brand him as a pariah to the point where it would have any effect on his employment. Mike Vick was the biggest off field story I ever personally saw for an active football player. He did federal prison time and still made a very successful comeback on and off the field, and while he will always be disliked by some people, that number wasn't near large enough to stop him from getting jobs on NFL rosters and then a media job after his playing career.

Other examples: Adrian Peterson, Pac Man, Joe Mixon, Ray Lewis, Lawrence Taylor, Aldon Smith, etc. As long as you are a good enough player, you can survive just about anything short of being caught red-handed for murder.

Watson's issue will play out, he'll pay some money, he may be suspended a few games, and then he'll go on to play. If he can get a guy like Tony Dungy in his corner to help rehab his image, he'll end up more than fine. Another controversy regarding another player will come up and by and large, this will be forgotten by the majority.

That isn't to say that this outcome is right or what should happen. I'm not defending any of what the players mentioned have done or been accused of whatsoever, that isn't the point. Just pointing out that second and third chances abound for very talented athletes whether they are morally warranted or not. 

Yep, time goes by and people forget or forgive. Mostly forget. This will likely have no effect on Watsons employment or value by the start of 2022. 

3 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

I think a lot of people have short memories if they think Watson is done or think the public will brand him as a pariah to the point where it would have any effect on his employment.

People aren't really thinking he's done or that he can never rehab his image.

4 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Mike Vick was the biggest off field story I ever personally saw for an active football player. He did federal prison time and still made a very successful comeback on and off the field, and while he will always be disliked by some people, that number wasn't near large enough to stop him from getting jobs on NFL rosters and then a media job after his playing career.

Vick going to prison was huge for him hitting that super low point and realizing what he did was wrong and coming to grips with it and having the motivation to do everything he could to rehab his image and make good on his past mistakes.

Watson likely won't hit that low point that is usually needed to spur real change in people. If someone gets a slap on the wrist which he very well might it just usually causes them to not look at their actions in a real way or change their behavior which makes me cautious of him in the future even after this is over.

15 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

If he can get a guy like Tony Dungy in his corner to help rehab his image, he'll end up more than fine.

Great dude.

16 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Another controversy regarding another player will come up and by and large, this will be forgotten by the majority.

Sadly.

It also goes hand in hand with today's society is. News moves at a super fast pace. It's more likely stuff will be brought to light nowadays with the internet, but also likely that it will get blown over quicker as well.

17 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Fair enough. I pretty much agree with you on this part.

He'll get his second chance for sure.

1 hour ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I wouldn't take this guy on even if he's fully acquitted. It's an awful look for any organization to even consider. 

I know a couple of people who gave up on teams who signed Mike Vick. I'd imagine that the blowback would probably be similar, at the end of the day. The media has not gone as hard on Watson as they have others with accusations made against them, for whatever reason. And most people base their outrage on what they're told to be outraged about rather than anything resembling objective reality.

• Like 1

Just now, CKSteeler said:

I know a couple of people who gave up on teams who signed Mike Vick. I'd imagine that the blowback would probably be similar, at the end of the day. The media has not gone as hard on Watson as they have others with accusations made against them, for whatever reason. And most people base their outrage on what they're told to be outraged about rather than anything resembling objective reality.

Vick doesn't compare to this situation to me. Without derailing this thread, serial rapist far outweighs animal abuser in my mind but I can totally see why someone would consider that closer to even.