Training Camp 2021!

N4L

Yeah for sure. I’m just not mature enough to separate politics so I’ll stay out of it. 

Watching the QBs video I’m just concerned with Lance’s release. Anyone ever see a timing of his release? Jimmy’s is so quick which I love. At the same time there’s no comparison on their feet in the pocket and Lance might not release the ball as fast but it doesn’t seem to succumb to gravity after 10 yards nearly as much as Jimmy’s. Always weird to me that Jimmy’s seems to come out crisp and then looks like a very strong wind in his face picked up a half second after he lets it go. 

15 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Yeah for sure. I’m just not mature enough to separate politics so I’ll stay out of it. 

Watching the QBs video I’m just concerned with Lance’s release. Anyone ever see a timing of his release? Jimmy’s is so quick which I love. At the same time there’s no comparison on their feet in the pocket and Lance might not release the ball as fast but it doesn’t seem to succumb to gravity after 10 yards nearly as much as Jimmy’s. Always weird to me that Jimmy’s seems to come out crisp and then looks like a very strong wind in his face picked up a half second after he lets it go. 

I think it's really hard to contrast anyone's request against Jimmy. That release is stupid, stupid fast lol. Going into the draft one of my bigger concerns was just Lance's timing in general. He could be a tick late sometimes, specifically single read developing plays, but chalking a lot of that up to inexperience. He has excellent anticipation on shorter routes such as out patterns. 

I don't think Lance has a super long or impactful release when compared to NFL qbs in general. 

On the QB3 competition seems like Sudfeld looks better then Rosen. Also wouldn't it make sense if we are really going to carry Jimmy to just only carry 2 QBs on the roster. Just put Sudfeld on PS. I'm sure cause covid we carry 3.

Edited by 49erurtaza

I find it funny Jimmy's highlights are of him throwing short completions compared to Lance. But that first throw from Lance that wind up was huge but his other throws where better. Wish I could see it at normal speed. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

On 7/28/2021 at 11:37 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:
On 7/28/2021 at 11:29 PM, N4L said:

A "perfect" spiral is actually less consistent in its trajectory than one with a bit of wobble. Those passes may have had a bit too much wobble though lol

Hmmm where do you get that tidbit of information? Thought this spotlight in a Forbes article from Chad Orzel (physics/astronomy professor at Union College) hits the nail on the head:

about 7 minutes in

10 hours ago, straighthate said:

I was gonna type a reply to a couple posts up, then got to this one and that Star Wars meme with “it’s a trap” popped into my head so I decided to just say gee I’m excited football is back instead. 

This one?

See the source image

Edited by Chrissooner49er
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

On the QB3 competition seems like Sudfeld looks better then Rosen. Also wouldn't it make sense if we are really going to carry Jimmy to just only carry 2 QBs on the roster. Just put Sudfeld on PS. I'm sure cause covid we carry 3.

I really hope that we don’t keep Sudfeld. He’s not worth the roster spot. At least with Rosen maybe we could get him trained up to be a solid backup when Jimmy leaves or maybe showcase him in preseason next year and try to get compensation for him. Sudfeld has no upside. 

10 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I've been assuming that job is sudfelds to lose

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've been assuming that job is sudfelds to lose

Doesn't make much sense. He has very little upside over Rosen imo. If we're not going to have the QB3 mirror Lance's skillset, he should at least be the more talented of the two from the pocket. Not that Rosen is going to set the world on fire or anything but he's just a flat out better from the pocket than Sudfield.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Doesn't make much sense. He has very little upside over Rosen imo. If we're not going to have the QB3 mirror Lance's skillset, he should at least be the more talented of the two from the pocket. Not that Rosen is going to set the world on fire or anything but he's just a flat out better from the pocket than Sudfield.

At this point we just have to be honest with Rosen....Played terrible as a rookie...But you know what? It happens, not in a great position so he then gets moved to Miami....Terrible in a three game stretch and the team gives up on him after giving up a 2nd rounder for him....Goes to TB and never makes it out of their practice squad. Like look at who was ahead of him...Gets picked up by the Niners and now is the 4th QB. 

Four teams haven't thought much of him. It is what it is at this point. 

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He has a relationship with Scang and Rosen sucks as well. I'm also not sure how much we wanted him to start with. Remember, we didn't even put in a claim when he was waived. We had to sign someone at the end of the season. My guess is they'll go with intangibles boy (sudfeld)

Am I the only one that tries to catch up on former Niners and see how they are doing elsewhere? There were a few Ahkello tweets that had some 49ers fans riled up yesterday so I went to the Seahawks page on The Athletic and this was in the practice report:

It’s becoming more obvious by the day that Ahkello Witherspoon will be Seattle’s No. 1 cornerback this season. He isn’t tested a bunch in practice, though Wilson did take a shot his way on Thursday, attempting to sneak a ball over his head and into the arms of Lockett on the sideline. But Witherspoon thwarted that by using all of his 6-3 frame to jump and knock it down with one arm. I guess that’s why you sign a guy with 33-inch arms and a 40-inch vertical.

https://theathletic.com/2740067/2021/07/29/seahawks-training-camp-report-freddie-swain-eyes-opportunity-as-no-3-receiver/

For some reason a lot of people think the Seahawks will take a step back since they lost guys like Griffin, but I'm not sure about that. They got Spoon/Hyder/Aldon on team friendly deals and they traded for Gabe Jackson. They should be very good once again. Spoon in particular can make a big impact and if he continues his play from the end of last season, he should be better than what Griffin was for them last year. I think they lack some depth so injuries can derail them but they are still pretty loaded. Will be a tough out. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Am I the only one that tries to catch up on former Niners and see how they are doing elsewhere? There were a few Ahkello tweets that had some 49ers fans riled up yesterday so I went to the Seahawks page on The Athletic and this was in the practice report:

https://theathletic.com/2740067/2021/07/29/seahawks-training-camp-report-freddie-swain-eyes-opportunity-as-no-3-receiver/

For some reason a lot of people think the Seahawks will take a step back since they lost guys like Griffin, but I'm not sure about that. They got Spoon/Hyder/Aldon on team friendly deals and they traded for Gabe Jackson. They should be very good once again. Spoon in particular can make a big impact and if he continues his play from the end of last season, he should be better than what Griffin was for them last year. I think they lack some depth so injuries can derail them but they are still pretty loaded. Will be a tough out. 

They will always be a tough out as long as Wilson is healthy and they have a solid defense, which looks to be the case this year. I think we'll be better all things being even but it's closer than ppl think.

As far as Spoon, he will always flash. Whether its a for a game, a couple weeks, etc. Call me when he puts together a full season worth of stellar play and doesn't get in his own head at critical moments in the game. I have no doubt he'll do well in Seattle. But not well enough to make me believe we were wrong in moving on from him.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

He has a relationship with Scang and Rosen sucks as well. I'm also not sure how much we wanted him to start with. Remember, we didn't even put in a claim when he was waived. We had to sign someone at the end of the season. My guess is they'll go with intangibles boy (sudfeld)

At some point, if Rosen still had any viable NFL juice left, intelligent folks with eyes on him and ears for his participation in position work would care more about him. I feel as though he's worse Goff with no McVay image makeover. Pretty big arm, can make a prettier throw downfield than most backups, but with zero athleticism and not much professional drive or usefulness riding a bench. Those occasional pretty throws will keep people bringing him into camp. The rest will keep him bouncing around. I'd rather have other options. And that includes a different option than Sudfield, who is mostly pointless Scangarello fodder. I'm going to be on the fairly limited arm, but good character and athlete guy as soon as Lance is the full time starter. With both him and Jimmy on the roster, it is largely a pointless exercise because the 3rd QB is an afterthought. Washed up RGIII got it done for the Ravens against a good Browns defense a couple of years ago, because rushing quarterbacks are difficult to prepare for on short notice with the right scheme. And if you can throw the ball short, you can get YAC from our bros. This means that a relatively untapped group of dudes that were useful college qbs with drive and no significant prospects can do the job for us on the cheap. The world is full of spare Colt McCoy-ish dudes. They're super cheap. They can cheat a win or two while Lance is banged up.

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

They will always be a tough out as long as Wilson is healthy and they have a solid defense, which looks to be the case this year. I think we'll be better all things being even but it's closer than ppl think.

As far as Spoon, he will always flash. Whether its a for a game, a couple weeks, etc. Call me when he puts together a full season worth of stellar play and doesn't get in his own head at critical moments in the game. I have no doubt he'll do well in Seattle. But not well enough to make me believe we were wrong in moving on from him.

It's not like we had a choice to re-sign him as he wanted to leave. Our depth at CB is extremely weak, if Verrett gets hurt, losing Spoon will absolutely sting in a big way. 

This is why I wanted Sherman back to just to give us that insurance policy and shore up the depth at outside corner. Ambry Thomas will need to come along quickly as Johnson just ain’t it. 

• Like 1