Rodgers is back.

Pugger

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Right. A lot of respect for 12 there even if you disagree with some of his thoughts. Personally, I think he's a little overboard on the "Packers treat veterans poorly and don't offer them deals, etc." and Silverstein hit him with a great question about being wrong on some of those deals had they been made. On the other hand, I am 150% behind 12 on the fact that he should be included more in discussions regarding players. I've been saying that for years. 12 is literally the most attractive non-money aspect for players to come to Green Bay. That should be a no-brainer and it was time for 12 to publicly call the FO out on that today. 

A lot to unpack here but I'll just disagree and here is why. 

These decisions need to be made with no emotion. You have to have an executioners heart and mind. We moved on from guys like Sitton, Lang, Nelson, Jennings, Cobb, Bulaga and the list goes on. The GM has been right on those decisions a heck of a lot more than he was wrong. James Jones actually came back for a year I do believe.

We shall see how the Cobb thing shakes out but if he gets his 8 million guaranteed from US, that is a boneheaded move. 

I'm all for them telling Aaron they are moving on from his QB coach and here is why. I'm all for them keeping the lines of communication open. I am 100% against him being involved in personnel decision. It is a bad road to go down. 

Also, I lost respect for this manipulative, well thought out press conference to try and bring public opinion on his side and undermine management. 

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

Woodson started 48 of 48 games from 13-15 on Oakland, had 97-113-74 tackles and 1-4-5 INTs. Special teams for sure

My point on Woodson I think is getting lost. I get he went on to produce and GB had MD Jennings. My point was Rodgers made it seem like these guys just wanted to stay in GB regardless. Regardless the cost, the role etc.

Its not that easy...

what exactly did Wood want contract wise and role on the team wise. Did he only take the offer Oakland gave because that’s all he was getting in the open market? Was his ask from GB more before that bridge was burned? Who knows. What was GB looking for at that point.

Aaron is upset the team wanted different and didn’t value “the experience”. This is par for the course in the NFL. My issue with Aaron’s statement on this is he makes is sound soooo simple, when it’s not. And he is talking to them now... how many of those guys are looking back and saying yeah I would of done anything to just say because I had it good. But in the moment of these discussions it was I deserve what the open market values me.

like I get it... and respect to Rodgers. I understand his position and feels on these things. I’m curious if he understands the front offices though....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

The problem with that is him constantly expecting to be at the top of the pay scale at his position. If you want to be this recruiting tool for team success, than make a sacrifice or two to do so. Maybe he'd be more willing to consider that if consulted but he's done nothing to increase his own value in that role throughout his career.

Chicken or egg. Maybe those discussions start happening, maybe Rodgers says, here take some cap relief. Maybe not, but we can't say for sure he wouldn't be up for that, especially for the right player. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

My point on Woodson I think is getting lost. I get he went on to produce and GB had MD Jennings. My point was Rodgers made it seem like these guys just wanted to stay in GB regardless. Regardless the cost, the role etc.

Its not that easy...

what exactly did Wood want contract wise and role on the team wise. Did he only take the offer Oakland gave because that’s all he was getting in the open market? Was his ask from GB more before that bridge was burned? Who knows. What was GB looking for at that point.

Aaron is upset the team wanted different and didn’t value “the experience”. This is par for the course in the NFL. My issue with Aaron’s statement on this is he makes is sound soooo simple, when it’s not. And he is talking to them now... how many of those guys are looking back and saying yeah I would of done anything to just say because I had it good. But in the moment of these discussions it was I deserve what the open market values me.

like I get it... and respect to Rodgers. I understand his position and feels on these things. I’m curious if he understands the front offices though....

Obviously we have the benefit of hindsight, same as Aaron. Truthfully I don't remember 8 years ago enough to comment on my thoughts. But you look at our secondary room and the number Woodson got and thats a big yikes. I would expect Woodson would have signed for the same figure he got from Oakland. 

Edited by JBURGE
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

A lot to unpack here but I'll just disagree and here is why. 

These decisions need to be made with no emotion. You have to have an executioners heart and mind. We moved on from guys like Sitton, Lang, Nelson, Jennings, Cobb, Bulaga and the list goes on. The GM has been right on those decisions a heck of a lot more than he was wrong. James Jones actually came back for a year I do believe.

We shall see how the Cobb thing shakes out but if he gets his 8 million guaranteed from US, that is a boneheaded move. 

I'm all for them telling Aaron they are moving on from his QB coach and here is why. I'm all for them keeping the lines of communication open. I am 100% against him being involved in personnel decision. It is a bad road to go down. 

Also, I lost respect for this manipulative, well thought out press conference to try and bring public opinion on his side and undermine management. 

I understand this POV and there's merit to it. I also agree with 12 that he qualifies as an exception, like he talked about. You can always discount what he has to say, but invite him to the table to say it first. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I understand this POV and there's merit to it. I also agree with 12 that he qualifies as an exception, like he talked about. You can always discount what he has to say, but invite him to the table to say it first. 

Fair enough

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Obviously we have the benefit of hindsight, same as Aaron. Truthfully I don't remember 8 years ago enough to comment on my thoughts. But you look at our secondary room and the number Woodson got and thats a big yikes. I would expect Woodson would have signed for the same figure he got from Oakland. 

Again I don’t disagree but like you I don’t remember all what happened. Once he found out what the open market was giving was that bridge already burn?

If GB said go find out what your worth is and let us match... then yeah GB messed up.

But also maybe GB at the time was looking for fresh bodies to change up the situation on the defense and didn’t want him regardless the price. Again hindsight... they messed up again.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

But here is the issue... was he never invited? Was he proactively spurred when he came to them with ideas? Was he waiting for an invite that never came?

Like the way Rodgers makes it sound... he came with a book full of ideas and the front office patted him on the head and say “oh sweet dumb boy you just play QB” and threw his book of ideas in the trash. (Obvious exaggerated).

where as Gute makes it sound like... door was always open. He can give ideas when ever and how ever.

well which is it? Was Rodgers waiting to be invited and got upset they formally didn’t invite him? Did he go to the front office or the coaches and say before you cut any of the WRs just know I love Kumerow... keep him. Like if he had thoughts he knew when cut down was. Did he just take it for granted the “2nd best wr” wouldnt get cut?

The reality is likely somewhere in between. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

Btw......did Rodgers say in his presser that he's in the sports agency business?
He said something about representing some draft picks.....or something like that.

He says the agency he works with (being represented by) has had a lot of great players also being represented by them. He has connections and can recruit on the team’s behalf.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Btw......did Rodgers say in his presser that he's in the sports agency business?
He said something about representing some draft picks.....or something like that.

He was saying his agency (meaning the one David Dunn operates) would get information about fellow clients that he would pass on to GB and that it was effectively ignored. Idk what that means in practice

• Like 2

Just now, Green19 said:

He says the agency he works with (being represented by) has had a lot of great players also being represented by them. He has connections and can recruit on the team’s behalf.

Oh. Okay. He doesnt own/run an agency. Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Dear Aaron,

Two years ago the organization gave you a 4 year extension making you the highest paid QB/player in the league. The MVP (bonus) you expected was baked into the equation! That contract came with the expectation of an MPV season or two! 

PS: you still owe us a Championship because that too was baked into the payday! 

Rodgers:  I wanted more money for an MVP season.   I also could be a recruiter for FA, you know, the ones that want a nice contract via FA.....with the limited cap space GB has partly due to some contracts on the roster.....but not mine.

I also think some past veterans would have stayed with GB for less, especially the core players.  

Does Rodgers not understand the finances of the NFL salary cap?

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

That’s real interesting, because I’m the exact opposite. I’m not mad at him but more confused mainly because I feel Gute has been absolutely incredible in his tenure. 

Just me thinking here, which is dangerous.  It isn't totally Gute.  It's more Russ Ball.  My take is that he wishes the GM would take control of the cap guy and be more aware of how valuable good veterans are.  Especially if Rodgers tells them about how great they are in the locker room, and has inside knowledge of deals that they'd take to stay in GB.

But that is just me spitballing.  And I'm tired.  So.  Very.  Tired.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2