4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Anyone else find it funny that all the guys he is upset over leaving... who all drafted or brought them into GB?

Maybe trust the front office to restock good people...

..................true, except that this wasn't his (Rodgers) point. It was about how you go about letting guys go, ones that were a real benefit to the Packers over time, rather than who the Packers brought in.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

As for what players 'would' have taken, that is here say. I don't believe it and the reason it's all being brought to the forefront now is Rodgers is in the situation of being the next guy it happens to. He probably has 3 or 4 really good years left though. 

It's not hearsay that Nelson would have taken less and it's not just being brought to forefront just now. According to JJones, he almost accepted Green Bay insulting vet minimum low-ball offer. “I’m not going to say what they offered him, but they really, really low-balled him,” Jones said. “It wasn’t even anything you would consider. Even with all that, he was still considering taking it.”  3/16/18.

• Like 1

we probably did jordy a favor by low-balling him.

He made 20% of his career earnings in the one year in Oakland. ($11/$57 million)

I wonder if Aaron realizes that a big part of WHY Green Bay couldn't pay Jordy more was because they signed him the tight end he desperately wanted that same offseason (Jimmy Graham).

Aaron wants to eat and have his Jordy Nelson at the same time.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

..................true, except that this wasn't his (Rodgers) point. It was about how you go about letting guys go, ones that were a real benefit to the Packers over time, rather than who the Packers brought in.

He thought those guys could add something... it wasn’t just about how these guys exit. Yes he said how they treat exiting players is bad.

But my point is he said these guys still had something of value to give GB. My point is... all the guys he is pounding the table for... who identified them and drafted them or signed them in FA.

Professional sports has always been about “replacing”. Trust the front office that has gotten quality guys to continue to do so.

Ol Rodg needs to worry more about his play in clutch post season situations.  The team would benefit if he did so.

We really need to see Love in pre-season games, one way or another it will be telling to a degree.

The bottom line(s):

-Rodgers is a sensi and struggles separating the business from the personal

-Rodgers feels a lot of loyalty to "his" guys he "came of age" with in GB

-Rodgers is hyper competitive and truly believes the best chance of success is with HIS ideas

-Rodgers badly wants to build his legacy in GB and would ideally love to play 6-7 more years here with a front office that makes moves like this Cobb move WHENEVER THEY CAN. 

-Rodgers doesn't particularly care about players that aren't "his" guys if they get cut to make room for "his" guys

-The front office guys have a great track record of moving on from vets and their expertise there is far superior to Aaron's

-Aaron should not be involved in contract discussions and is owed NO explanation or breakdown of why something didn't work between say GB and Jordy in 2018 (would quite possibly be in violation of some laws if they DID include/inform him of the relevant factors in making that decision.

-GB front office operates a billion dollar company and should have a staff that handles situations like this before it gets to this point. Wasn't Rob Davis like a player/FO liason for awhile? Is that still a position?

-Aaron does deserve a voice at "the table", but the depth and breadth of that should be handled by a more neutral player liason type.

-Communication is vital

• Like 3

Quite honestly, I could see a run in 2021 that opens eyes on both sides of the aisle and Rodgers is here for another 6-7 years with his voice being heard (and acted upon).

FO might make the calculation that shelling out a few million every off-season for someone Rodgers likes (but team has rated as like 90% of better option) is a net win for overall team.

Forest for the trees and all that. Or picking your battles? One of those idioms.

• Like 3

Two things I'd love to know:

1.  What does Murphy and Gute really think of Rodgers behind closed doors?  NFL MVP, first ballot HOFer, and likely showing him the door in 2022?  Is this a contract thing?, a personality thing,  something isn't jiving here.  They must really love Jordan Love.

2.  Clearly Gute wouldn't have traded for Cobb in a million years.  My guess is Murphy made him do it.  What was Gutes initial reaction when/if Murphy told him to do it?

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Forest for the trees and all that. Or picking your battles? One of those idioms.

Don't forget the one about "counting chickens." Not sure how it applies to the AR/GB situation...but it's a fan favorite :)

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

2.  Clearly Gute wouldn't have traded for Cobb in a million years.  My guess is Murphy made him do it.  What was Gutes initial reaction when/if Murphy told him to do it?

I dunno. I can see the attractiveness for Gute with that deal:

(1) Gute wants Rodgers to QB the 2021 Packers

(2) He GAINS 2021 cap space by appeasing Rodgers and using part of the 2021 flexibility on Cobb to make it happen

(3) It costs a 6th round pick to add another veteran offensive threat to a roster where another veteran offensive threat will see at least somewhat significant playing time

Now, I agree that the vehicle that made this all happen was Rodgers' insisting of it. But, then again, the whole thing is a non-starter if Cobb isn't willing/able to make only 35% of his scheduled salary from GB. But from Gute's perspective, once it becomes known that this move COULD happen and cost him nothing but $3million in future cap and a 6th round pick, I'm sure it looks pretty attractive for a 2021 team standpoint.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Two things I'd love to know:

1.  What does Murphy and Gute really think of Rodgers behind closed doors?  NFL MVP, first ballot HOFer, and likely showing him the door in 2022?  Is this a contract thing?, a personality thing,  something isn't jiving here.  They must really love Jordan Love.

No one is making him do it. Murphy, Gute, Ball and MLF all come to a mutual agreement on how to handle a situation like this one and move forward from there. It's just business, not some petty power pissing match.    

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of Gute's remarks about 2023 and Rodgers?  Did we NOT void it?

I dont think anything's been finalized.

57 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I dunno. I can see the attractiveness for Gute with that deal:

(1) Gute wants Rodgers to QB the 2021 Packers

(2) He GAINS 2021 cap space by appeasing Rodgers and using part of the 2021 flexibility on Cobb to make it happen

(3) It costs a 6th round pick to add another veteran offensive threat to a roster where another veteran offensive threat will see at least somewhat significant playing time

Now, I agree that the vehicle that made this all happen was Rodgers' insisting of it. But, then again, the whole thing is a non-starter if Cobb isn't willing/able to make only 35% of his scheduled salary from GB. But from Gute's perspective, once it becomes known that this move COULD happen and cost him nothing but $3million in future cap and a 6th round pick, I'm sure it looks pretty attractive for a 2021 team standpoint.

Agree with all the reasons,  I like the move,  it helps Adams mentor the younger guys, and I wouldnt be surprised if any potential deal with Adams might involve Cobb on the roster in 2022 (depending on 2021 of course).   Adams mentioned in his presser, the value of Cobb to help with the young guys and the pressures of doing it by himself as a player.

4 hours ago, pgwingman said:

Just curious, how do you view the Cobb deal? That's obviously the deal that has the most Rodgers influence over it. I'd argue we still overpaid, but I'm will to listen to others.

Cobb is "meh" to me.  I think he will be an asset in the film room and practice field.  Unsure just how much good he will do on the field on game day.  But if this is the first thing GB could do to show Rodgers they will listen to him, and that contract is re-worked, then fine.

But really, if Cobb was Rodgers hill to die on, it's a bad hill to die on.  You'd think that a superstar QB would know of a different WR who really wanted to be here that we could trade attempt to trade for.

• Like 1