Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So as some have brought up, the Packers are now around $10m or so under the cap. So the question becomes, do we make another move or two and just go for absolute broke this season? Maybe try to add another vet around cutdown day (still think we could use a DL) and then save the rest for in-season moves including maybe a trade deadline pickup?

They'll probably do some more spending. 10M sounds higher than the normal (or average) operating capital they usually go into the seasons with.

 

Edited by Leader
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So as some have brought up, the Packers are now around $10m or so under the cap. So the question becomes, do we make another move or two and just go for absolute broke this season? Maybe try to add another vet around cutdown day (still think we could use a DL) and then save the rest for in-season moves including maybe a trade deadline pickup?

I think you save that money in case of injury and you have to add a player or two during the season. The other option is if you have a shot and you want to bring in somebody via trade to push you over the top. 

It's fairly obvious we're all in on this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leader said:

They'll probably do some more spending. 10M sounds higher than the normal (or average) operating capital they usually go into the seasons with.

 

I hope they do. However, Kelly's number is not accounted for yet, that will obviously lower what we got to play with. Hopefully, there is enough to go into season with and to pick up a cheap DT vet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The "make Rodgers play out his contract" ship has definitely sailed.  There is no way he's going to playing as a Packer in 2022 on this reworked contract. 

Heck, if Rodgers wants to create some serious drama next off season, he could refuse to renegotiate and make it clear to anyone wanting to trade for him that he's not going to sign a new deal as part of the trade.  Force GB to either release him outright (and gain nothing in trade or comp pick) or carry that 46M cap hit in 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

It was Cleveland who traded him. The reason we traded for him was the Packers had interest in him during the draft process when he was coming out. They found out quickly he couldn't play.

 

...which Cleveland already knew.  Again, no one is trading a potential franchise QB for a Damarius Randall.  

We each took the other team's scraps with the hopes that a fresh start would get more out of the player.  They got more out of Randall than we got out of Kizer.

And either way, Kizer was in no way shape or form, a threat to Rodgers.   On any level. 

 Drafting a QB in the first round a few years later, was.  Especially if you looked at the rookie contract versus the potential "out" to Rodgers contract. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like he is either traded, or signs a new deal in the next off-season.

Remember the "Friends" episode when Chandler had to go into the box after falling in love with Joey's girlfriend?

I think Rodgers has effective told the front office to get in the box because, "They have some serious thinking to do!"

KimmieRocks's Animated Gif | Friends tv, Friends tv series, Friends moments

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, but what is Rodgers value next spring, assuming he has a good (but not MVP) season this year with no serious injuries. He'd only be under contract for on more year, and you'd have to sign him to a large extension, but does that diminish his value a lot? I know we were using the Stafford trade as a starting point, but Rodgers is older. I think they each had 1 year left on their contracts when traded.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap  -  The Packers have now pushed more cap money into 2022 ($26.8M) than the maximum amount the 2022 salary cap can increase by ($25.7M).

In other words - the entire salary cap increase for next year has already been spent for the team to go all in this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gopackgo972 said:

 

He’s a good sport 

Check the reflection in the windshield.  Man bun alert.  Probably filmed by Tonyan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap  -  The Packers have now pushed more cap money into 2022 ($26.8M) than the maximum amount the 2022 salary cap can increase by ($25.7M).

In other words - the entire salary cap increase for next year has already been spent for the team to go all in this year.

Do some more reworks and get all the chips In the middle for this year. Need help on Dline and LB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

Just curious, but what is Rodgers value next spring, assuming he has a good (but not MVP) season this year with no serious injuries. He'd only be under contract for on more year, and you'd have to sign him to a large extension, but does that diminish his value a lot? I know we were using the Stafford trade as a starting point, but Rodgers is older. I think they each had 1 year left on their contracts when traded.

I still think he'd technically be under contract for two more years because 2023 doesn't void unless he's on the roster 7 days prior to that league season starting.  I think we are still looking at something like two quality players, 2 1st's, and a 2nd.  I'd be disappointed if it was much less than that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The "make Rodgers play out his contract" ship has definitely sailed.  There is no way he's going to playing as a Packer in 2022 on this reworked contract. 

Heck, if Rodgers wants to create some serious drama next off season, he could refuse to renegotiate and make it clear to anyone wanting to trade for him that he's not going to sign a new deal as part of the trade.  Force GB to either release him outright (and gain nothing in trade or comp pick) or carry that 46M cap hit in 2022.

Rodgers has shown that he's willing to play hardball to get what he wants. He has de facto veto power over any trade by doing exactly what you've described. He effectively has full control over where he lands next year. And his new team will have preserved any resources they might've had to surrender in a trade.

Given GB's tough cap situation in '22, if Rodgers is willing to fully play his hand, he'll get either a fresh start with the team of his choosing or an extension to finish out his career in GB. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Rodgers has shown that he's willing to play hardball to get what he wants. He has de facto veto power over any trade by doing exactly what you've described. He effectively has full control over where he lands next year. And his new team will have preserved any resources they might've had to surrender in a trade.

Given GB's tough cap situation in '22, if Rodgers is willing to fully play his hand, he'll get either a fresh start with the team of his choosing or an extension to finish out his career in GB. 

If he has too much control over where he goes via trade it really makes me nervous that the Packers will wind up with a crap return.  What's to keep Rodgers from being in cahoots with one particular team to keep that trade return low?  Will the Packers be able to solicit offers from other teams to set a baseline value?  

Edited by {Family Ghost}
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...