Jump to content

Recommended Posts

A couple things that are not 100% clear to me with the new deal Rodgers signed.

If Rodgers is traded

  1. Is his new team also blocked from tagging him?
  2. Can GB still come after his remaining signing bonus if he retires even though he is no longer a Packer?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fear and anguish is strong here today about the chances of the Packers getting zero in return for Rodgers, but it has no basis IMHO. There will be more than one team that wants him, there will be more than one team he will be willing to play for and there will be more than team willing to spend out of fear of losing out on a HOF QB's services. This is nothing to lose a second of sleep over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Like my main point is right or wrong... Rodgers has placed a lot on his shoulders. Like he has to deliver this year right? Like there aren’t any excuses (outside of an injury). But like if he doesn’t at least take this team to the super bowl, let alone win... like why did we do all this nonsense then.

Extending your thinking - Well, all the decisions and struggles you yourself endure through life, that lead you to......wherever you go, end in death, your death, right ? So what's the point of all the nonsense of living.       Answer: You do it for the journey, not for where you end up. 

You can be one of those idiots that maintain every season that doesn't end in a superbowl win is worthless...............or you can enjoy each year, game by game, celebrating the wins, commiserating over the losses, enjoying the journey to whatever conclusion unfolds.

Right now, as someone fairly famous once said "It's all a beautiful mystery."

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, R T said:

2023 is a zero percent option. He is either traded or signs a new deal with GB before the first day of 2022 business.

Or retires.  

I disagree. I see that as his actual goal. Complete free agency. Like Tom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Extending your thinking - Well, all the decisions and struggles you yourself endure through life, that lead you to......wherever you go, end in death, your death, right ? So what's the point of all the nonsense of living.       Answer: You do it for the journey, not for where you end up. 

You can be one of those idiots that maintain every season that doesn't end in a superbowl win is worthless...............or you can enjoy each year, game by game, celebrating the wins, commiserating over the losses, enjoying the journey to whatever conclusion unfolds.

Right now, as someone fairly famous once said "It's all a beautiful mystery."

I get all that... my point is this off-season has been dramatically different than any other one Rodgers has gone thru. My point is had Rodgers been the company man and not said anything... he could fly under the radar and have the same narratives about his time in GB be the same. The team didn’t do this, it was the defense, etc.

The moment he speaks up and does different he has change the narrative. That’s why I’m asking as a general question. Now that he has been a quote unquote diva... do people’s expectations of him change.

Is it put up or shut up? Well the collected playoff disappointments get colored different. If “this” season doesn’t end in something more will people in general think... “why go thru all that for the same result”.

Just curious because I think it has put pressure on Rodgers to perform better... more so in the postseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a bit confused about why people are worried about the team not getting anything for Rodgers. If we keep him until he retires, we get nothing for him other than his continued play. If we let him walk after his contract is up, we probably get a decent comp pick. If the front office moves on from Rodgers, it’s because they’ve decided they would rather move forward without him from a financial and/or football perspective. Anything the team manages to get in this scenario is an improvement over the other two scenarios. Sure, it would suck if Rodgers went to, say, SF and got a ring there — but if you’re letting that kind of fear dictate your decision-making, that’s an indication that you may be making a bad decision already.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I disagree. I see that as his actual goal. Complete free agency. Like Tom.

Two things. First, there is no possible way for his contract to stay status quo for 2022 and the Packers manage to get under the salary cap. Second, no way is Rodgers and his agent going risk injury in 2022 and pass up another huge guaranteed pay day that is sitting there for the taking. Rodgers will get something like 4 YRS/180M with 100M guaranteed after this season from GB or somewhere else. They are not looking away from 100 million guaranteed to do the Tom thing.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, R T said:

Two things. First, there is no possible way for his contract to stay status quo for 2022 and the Packers manage to get under the salary cap. Second, no way is Rodgers and his agent going risk injury in 2022 and pass up another huge guaranteed pay day that is sitting there for the taking. Rodgers will get something like 4 YRS/180M with 100M guaranteed after this season from GB or somewhere else. They are not looking away from 100 million guaranteed to do the Tom thing.    

Completely agree with this. I'm all in on the 'somewhere else' part of the deal too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, R T said:

Two things. First, there is no possible way for his contract to stay status quo for 2022 and the Packers manage to get under the salary cap. Second, no way is Rodgers and his agent going risk injury in 2022 and pass up another huge guaranteed pay day that is sitting there for the taking. Rodgers will get something like 4 YRS/180M with 100M guaranteed after this season from GB or somewhere else. They are not looking away from 100 million guaranteed to do the Tom thing.    

Some credence to this no doubt.  So, with a year left on his deal and an extension coming either way, what would Rodg bring trade wise?  Before I thought I had a good idea.  Now I have no idea.  Circumstances have changed dramatically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VicPez said:

I’m a bit confused about why people are worried about the team not getting anything for Rodgers. If we keep him until he retires, we get nothing for him other than his continued play. If we let him walk after his contract is up, we probably get a decent comp pick. If the front office moves on from Rodgers, it’s because they’ve decided they would rather move forward without him from a financial and/or football perspective. Anything the team manages to get in this scenario is an improvement over the other two scenarios. Sure, it would suck if Rodgers went to, say, SF and got a ring there — but if you’re letting that kind of fear dictate your decision-making, that’s an indication that you may be making a bad decision already.

Agree with you, it is the fans gripping here and is no reflection of the FO's feelings on moving forward. 

A note about the comp pick, if the tiny chance that Rodgers played until he became a free agent the Packers would not receive a comp pick because of the voidable year on his contract.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, R T said:

Agree with you, it is the fans gripping here and is no reflection of the FO's feelings on moving forward. 

A note about the comp pick, if the tiny chance that Rodgers played until he became a free agent the Packers would not receive a comp pick because of the voidable year on his contract.  

Huh, that’s interesting. I did not realize that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Green19 said:

And in the short term... if all his anger and passive aggressive action where worth it in the off-season?

Like my main point is right or wrong... Rodgers has placed a lot on his shoulder. Like he has to deliver this year right? Like there aren’t any excuses (outside of an injury). But like if he doesn’t at least take this team to the super bowl, let alone win... like why did we do all this nonsense then.

He's on his way out.   You get to camp on the first day you complain about past players and how the exited??? C'mon!!!

And as one famous coach once said.  "If you are contemplating retirement, you're retired".

Bitching about Green Bay not being a vacation destination after 16 years here???  

"Hes a complicated fella" and I bet some of those in the FO think Jordan Love can't develop fast enough.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R T said:

Agree with you, it is the fans gripping here and is no reflection of the FO's feelings on moving forward. 

A note about the comp pick, if the tiny chance that Rodgers played until he became a free agent the Packers would not receive a comp pick because of the voidable year on his contract.  

That and 10+ year veterans can only bring back a 5th maximum. Bulaga had a fairly big ticket contract but did not comp us much. Linsley or Adams as 8th year players at the top of their position are what win you those high comp picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, R T said:

Two things. First, there is no possible way for his contract to stay status quo for 2022 and the Packers manage to get under the salary cap. Second, no way is Rodgers and his agent going risk injury in 2022 and pass up another huge guaranteed pay day that is sitting there for the taking. Rodgers will get something like 4 YRS/180M with 100M guaranteed after this season from GB or somewhere else. They are not looking away from 100 million guaranteed to do the Tom thing.    

I don't dispute your first point at all.  I think we do probably disagree on how much leverage this could give Rodgers heading into next season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...