Rodgers is back.

Pugger

On 8/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, Old Guy said:

I watched it all and it wasn't pretty. It was a very poorly run organization from the time Phil Bengsten followed Lombardi until Wolf and Holmgren arrived. 

Two highpoints, 1972 Central Champs with Brockington and Mac Lane and the 1983 Monday night game versus the Redskins. 

The early 80s with Dickey/Lofton/Jefferson/Coffman were entertaining. Jefferson wasn't the same after he left San Diego.  But going to the games was an absolute riot.

The fans then are the same ones sitting on their hands now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

How do you know where you're going, if you don't know where you've been?...

As pointed out by another poster: we had crap leadership after Lombardi and before Ron Wolf and we haven't had that kind of poor leadership since. Even when we were up-n-down in the 50's, leadership was comparable to the 2005-2009 seasons in that we were rebuilding the entire time slowly assembling the dynasty that was the 60's. Most drafts in the 50's had at least a HOF'er and we got 3 in the first 5 picks in the 1958 draft.

The 70's and 80's should be walled off and forgotten in our minds...

Edited by Joe

5 minutes ago, R T said:

There were no 'up-n-down in the 50's'. The Ronzani and Blackbourn years from 1950-1957 were all down years. The darkest period in Packers history.    

Maybe they are by our standards today, but 6-6 is not exactly a down year; we even landed 3rd place in the division with that record in 1955 though were not as fortunate in 1952. SF went 5-6-1 in the 1956 season which was good for 3rd place in the Western Division FWIW. 

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

Maybe they are by our standards today, but 6-6 is not exactly a down year; we even landed 3rd place in the division with that record in 1955 though were not as fortunate in 1952. SF went 5-6-1 in the 1956 season which was good for 3rd place in the Western Division FWIW. 

They were 3rd in a 6 team conference in 1955 and that was the highest point in that period of time, most years they were 5th or 6th in their six team conference. Between the bad football teams and the financial troubles, it was the darkest period of time in Packers history. 

1 hour ago, Joe said:

As pointed out by another poster: we had crap leadership after Lombardi and before Ron Wolf and we haven't had that kind of poor leadership since. Even when we were up-n-down in the 50's, leadership was comparable to the 2005-2009 seasons in that we were rebuilding the entire time slowly assembling the dynasty that was the 60's. Most drafts in the 50's had at least a HOF'er and we got 3 in the first 5 picks in the 1958 draft.

Disagree.  We had very poor leadership when Mike Sherman was coach and GM.  Only Favre made the record respectable.

Kindda hard but wonder "what if" Holmgren had just stayed and coached under Wolf for another 6 years or so.  

7 hours ago, Joe said:

Packers were 10-4 in 1972 under coach Devine with Starr as QB's coach....The Packer's offense amassed 6,172 yards in 1983, the second-best output ever in club annals.....

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just me spitballing here, but....

Does it seem like Rodgers is having more fun this year?  Almost like he's playing with house money.

I have this feeling that he will walk away from the game if the Packers win it all this year.  He'd retire a Packer and call it a day.  Go out on top.  He said he was 50/50 about retiring just prior to showing up to camp, so he's thinking about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Just me spitballing here, but....

Does it seem like Rodgers is having more fun this year?  Almost like he's playing with house money.

He absolutely is, and I think it's rubbing off on the whole camp. Hell, it's rubbing off on the reporters too. "Jesus, Bob"

I won't hold it against him, because life's too short and what's done is done, but I really wish this is the Rodg we were getting the last couple years of McCarthy. Then again, Mac might still be our coach, and as much as I like the guy and appreciate what he did for us over the years, it was definitely past time to move on. 

• Like 3

I think he'll play this year and next if he's not traded.  If he's here in 2022, he'll be a FA after the season.   Thats gotta be attractive to him.

The Packers have to decide if they want a semi-haul after this season or a comp pick after 2022.

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think he'll play this year and next if he's not traded.  If he's here in 2022, he'll be a FA after the season.   Thats gotta be attractive to him.

The Packers have to decide if they want a semi-haul after this season or a comp pick after 2022.

I find it exceedingly unlikely he will hit free agency. We will either trade him or extend him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

He absolutely is, and I think it's rubbing off on the whole camp. Hell, it's rubbing off on the reporters too. "Jesus, Bob"

I won't hold it against him, because life's too short and what's done is done, but I really wish this is the Rodg we were getting the last couple years of McCarthy. Then again, Mac might still be our coach, and as much as I like the guy and appreciate what he did for us over the years, it was definitely past time to move on. 

He just seems happier.  Maybe it is the perineum tanning effect.  @Norm Did I spell that correctly?

• Like 2