What TEs do you like outside the Top-6?

JaguarCrazy2832

TE to me is either grab one of the big 3.... or just double dip really late.

Those 2nd tier TEs that tend to go in that rounds 5-8 area tend to disappoint, even though Hockenson fits the model to completely break out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I like Kmet's upside.  He got a lot more attention late last year and pretty much scored all of his points in the last 6 weeks.  That was with trash at QB.  So if Fields starts, or even Dalton is an upgrade I guess, and he continues the snap count he had last year, he should have a significantly better year.  TEs take time to transition and being his second year, I think he can take steps.  I think next year when Jimmy Graham is likely gone and Fields is in his second year, Kmet will be a real potential breakout TE.  But even this year I think he has more upside than Gronk but a lower floor. 

Yeah, in my head (fantasy wise) I like to pair a breakout player with a established veteran so if the breakout player doesnt break out, I have a reliable backup who I know what Im getting from. Since I already have Fant I would feel a little weird pairing Kmet with him just in case both of them fall flat I would be screwed, you know?

Thats why I like 'trust' Gronk more if that makes any sense.

Here are the TEs on waivers right now

Jonnu, Trautman, Hooper, Ebron, Cook, Jarwin, Firkser, Henry, Kmet, Ertz

Should I drop Gronk for any one of those guys???

Edited by AkronsWitness

50 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah, in my head (fantasy wise) I like to pair a breakout player with a established veteran so if the breakout player doesnt break out, I have a reliable backup who I know what Im getting from. Since I already have Fant I would feel a little weird pairing Kmet with him just in case both of them fall flat I would be screwed, you know?

Thats why I like 'trust' Gronk more if that makes any sense.

Here are the TEs on waivers right now

Jonnu, Trautman, Hooper, Ebron, Cook, Jarwin, Firkser, Henry, Kmet, Ertz

Should I drop Gronk for any one of those guys???

So are you considering Fant the potential breakout with bust potential?  He was a top 8 TE last year and that was with limited TD production.  Even if he has no improvement he is at least a solid top 10 TE.  He has upside to be a top 6 so I get the breakout side but he isn't like a Kmet or Jarwin that have little history and you hope breakout types.  IMO you have two guys who finished close to each other in production last year and they have similar floors.  Fant has more upside given there are just too many weapons in TB.  I would probably grab Henry, Jonnu, Jarwin and Kmet over Gronk if you want a true upside play.  I'd also consider Hurst if available given I think he still has a god year with Pitts there since they likely will use Pitts as more of a WR than a true TE.  I also don't think the difference between these guys will make or break your season.  Given all of the potential guys are on waivers, means nobody else is jumping for them either so you could wait a week into the season and see if its worth using a waiver spot on.  But having Fant, most likely you will never play Gronk or other TE other than bye week or due to injury.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Those 2nd tier TEs that tend to go in that rounds 5-8 area tend to disappoint, even though Hockenson fits the model to completely break out.

yea as much as I usually didnt like the idea of double-dipping, if you go late enough it is the best way. if you drafted well enough early, your dart throw round 15 at RB/WR wont be on your team anyways so you might as well double your chance at hitting on a starting spot

22 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

So are you considering Fant the potential breakout with bust potential?  He was a top 8 TE last year and that was with limited TD production.  Even if he has no improvement he is at least a solid top 10 TE.  He has upside to be a top 6 so I get the breakout side but he isn't like a Kmet or Jarwin that have little history and you hope breakout types.  IMO you have two guys who finished close to each other in production last year and they have similar floors.  Fant has more upside given there are just too many weapons in TB.  I would probably grab Henry, Jonnu, Jarwin and Kmet over Gronk if you want a true upside play.  I'd also consider Hurst if available given I think he still has a god year with Pitts there since they likely will use Pitts as more of a WR than a true TE.  I also don't think the difference between these guys will make or break your season.  Given all of the potential guys are on waivers, means nobody else is jumping for them either so you could wait a week into the season and see if its worth using a waiver spot on.  But having Fant, most likely you will never play Gronk or other TE other than bye week or due to injury.  

Thats fair, I saw Ertz and Henry on waivers and my ears perked up but then I remembered that they are constantly injured and battling for snaps for another good TE.

My only issue with Fant is that I also have Courtland Sutton and I just feel weird starting both Sutton/Fant every week in that offense because the liklihood of both of them having 10+ point weeks is probably low. I dont want to pigeon hole myself into a 1 or the other situation. I might just be crazy.

Both Jonnu/Henry are on waivers and Im trying to figure out what one will be the go-to guy in that offense.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats fair, I saw Ertz and Henry on waivers and my ears perked up but then I remembered that they are constantly injured and battling for snaps for another good TE.

My only issue with Fant is that I also have Courtland Sutton and I just feel weird starting both Sutton/Fant every week in that offense because the liklihood of both of them having 10+ point weeks is probably low. I dont want to pigeon hole myself into a 1 or the other situation. I might just be crazy.

Both Jonnu/Henry are on waivers and Im trying to figure out what one will be the go-to guy in that offense.

Well, projecting any TE to have 10 point weeks other than the top 5/6 is sort of crazy.  There were two others that averaged 10 per week last year (Kittle obviously didn't but should this year) and two of those are due for significant fall off in Thomas and Tonyan.  Fant averaged just under 10 a game last year so repeating that doesn't seem tough.  

On 8/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, AFF said:

This is where I'm currently at, I think. I'm considering Waller in round 3 if he's there, and that's about it. Last year I skipped on TE until the very last round. I just hate the value in the middle rounds because at a certain point, good streaming work may even result in a better position performance. I'm not even sure that I would double dip. 

I took Hockenson last night in my main money league in the 6th round (10 team) with both him and Andrews on the board. Went in planning to just grab Higbee or whoever late but I felt like there was enough value there and I like the peace of mind of not having to play the streaming lottery. I think there's a clear path towards him making a leap towards being an elite fantasy producer, he's just a really good IRL player who also happens to play on a team that will probably be playing from behind a lot with little competition for targets. Think Goff is also likely to lean on him a lot as a safety blanket. Not that I expect him necessarily to put up Kelce or even Waller numbers but even if he just replicates what he did last year I won't necessarily be disappointed to have him in my lineup, and I do think it's reasonable to think he's going to be more productive than that. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I took Hockenson last night in my main money league in the 6th round (10 team) with both him and Andrews on the board. Went in planning to just grab Higbee or whoever late but I felt like there was enough value there and I like the peace of mind of not having to play the streaming lottery. I think there's a clear path towards him making a leap towards being an elite fantasy producer, he's just a really good IRL player who also happens to play on a team that will probably be playing from behind a lot with little competition for targets. Think Goff is also likely to lean on him a lot as a safety blanket. Not that I expect him necessarily to put up Kelce or even Waller numbers but even if he just replicates what he did last year I won't necessarily be disappointed to have him in my lineup, and I do think it's reasonable to think he's going to be more productive than that. 

I could easily see him getting 140-150 targets this year with Tyrell the gazelle and Breshard Perriman leading their WR core. That St Brown cat could be a late round target

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

This is where I'm currently at, I think. I'm considering Waller in round 3 if he's there, and that's about it. Last year I skipped on TE until the very last round. I just hate the value in the middle rounds because at a certain point, good streaming work may even result in a better position performance. I'm not even sure that I would double dip. 

TE breakouts tend to happen from guys drafted late or even UDFAs.

Id rather take a lotto ticket at TE compared to my 6th WR who is probably going to end up no better than a guy I’ll drop a lil FAAB on wk 6 to fill out my flex spot thanks to bye weeks.

Everett/Jarwin-Schultz(have to look into TC usage)Higbee worth late shots.

Felt nice to grab Kelce  in the mid 2nd in a 10teamer and not have to worry about it the whole year however.

I have been Team Waller over Kittle this who time but since their ADPs jumped from 36-37 to 24-29, I have no chance of getting Waller unless I take him at 16 which I dont want to do. 

Is Kittle really worth a late 3rd? I know he is still Top-3 and the position is weak but the offense spreads it around, runs a ton, he has his injuries and Lance will probably hurt his upside I'd think

Thoughts?

in the mocks i've done i keep finding myself taking Kelce if i'm in the back half of the first, and more aggressively so in PPR formats. if i'm picking top 4, im usually able to grab either of Waller or Kittle in round 3. the middle picks are a little more challenging, because you either have to target kelce very aggressively in the first (only makes sense in those new TE premium leagues), or you have to target waller/kittle very aggressively in round 2, because they dont likely make it back to you in R3. i dont have very strong feelings of waller vs kittle. i think Waller has a better floor because the niners QB situation is in flux and i expect the raiders to have more pass attempts than the niners. but i dont really care which of those 2 i get.

in those scenarios where i'm in those middle picks, and, if i dont wind up with a good time to take pitts/andrews/hock... i usually look for Logan Thomas. i dont trust Tonyan... its not like he was a rookie, and that was an abnormal TD rate in a season where Rodgers himself at an abnormal TD rate. after that I'd look at Higbee. either way in these scenarios i'd surely take a 2nd TE just to give me an extra lottery ticket, either the Friermouth (spelling?) guy or Kmet.

also i love Brett Kollman's film review. i think his fantasy takes are mostly dog****.

I just really think Aaron Rodgers is going to make sure and take care of “his guys” this year as he knows it’s probably his last in GB and will want to make sure they get paydays for upcoming contracts

With that being said I think Robert Tonyan will still be a fine starter, not an exciting one maybe, but if you have to start him you should feel ok as Rodgers obviously trusts him in the red zone