return of cobb

FinneasGage

21 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

If done right it would be hard to prove or trace back to the organisation. I'm sure it must go on. I see so much of this kind of practice in business dealings. 

That would be Rodgers actually reducing his salary by that amount. We know that is not happening. 

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I think we need to wait a little to see how many damn reps he even gets. We're acting like he has to be on the field every down already. 

Exactly. Plus I don't hate having another vet, and someone that is as close to Amari as he is. This isn't exactly the worst thing to happen, but I guess we will see what the money is and then truly decide?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

If done right it would be hard to prove or trace back to the organisation. I'm sure it must go on. I see so much of this kind of practice in business dealings. 

Could it happen? Of course

But man it would require a ton of trust between two entities that are going to be on opposite sides of a negotiating table very very shortly. 

55 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'll eat Cobbs salad

Real talk, my GF at the time we drafted him was absolutely confident I was in love with him. So then I started making it even worse and making backgrounds to all my devices him and ****. 

He's a very striking man. Shoot me.

In short, I'd eat Cobb's salad

• Like 1

Look we'd all eat a Cobb salad, look at the man's eyes, we can just accept this as a forum and move on.

With that said, actually think this is a pretty solid move, pending contract/trade details.  Cobb still has some tread on the tires, his numbers just fell off here because he couldn't run the deeper stuff and win anymore.  Cobb was always an elite slot, but he was a solid enough receiver through the whole tree that they had him run a lot of stuff that he no longer has the wheels to run.  In MLF's offense he should be a legitimate problem, especially since he knows what Aaron wants.  Get him in the open field with Deguara and Lazard in front and you got yourself an easy twenty yards.

• Like 1

Will be curious how the restructuring goes.  As I understand it, Cobb had $18 guaranteed in his deal, $6 bonus and the other $12 being the first two years.  So, Houston is still cap-liable for $4 of the bonus, even though it's already been paid of course.  And for the guaranteed $8M of base.   Cap-wise, Houston is still on the hook for $12, and cash-wise for $8.  

Seems to me there are two ways to restructure.  One is for Houston to restructure pre-trade, to convert base to bonus/voidable.  They negotiate with the Packers how low the base needs to be for the trade to happen, then they negotiate with Cobb.  To use simple hypothetical round numbers, maybe they convert $5M to bonus, and leave $3 in base.  Under this scenario, then the Packers would assume the $3M in guaranteed base.  Cap-wise, Houston would still be on the cap-hook for $9 instead of $12, and cash-wise for $5 instead of $8.  So it's a win for them to offload cap and cash while picking up a 7th-round pick.  The Packers are on the hook for $3M, not $8.  This would seem to me to be the way it would best be done.  (Those numbers were just for convenience; one might perhaps argue that for the Packers to assume $3M is excessive, and they'd only be willing to assume $2M.  Adjust the Cobb-Houston base-to-bonus restructure accordingly.). 

The other way is for the Packers to assume all $8M of guaranteed base in the existing contract.  And then for the Packers to try to restructure.  I don't think that makes sense, because however the Packers do it, they'd still be long-term obligated for $8M which seems implausible.  And Cobb's agent isn't going to renegotiate away guaranteed money.   So I think this second concept can't be real.  

So I'm pretty sure there needs to be kind of a 3-way negotiation going on.  Packers negotiating with Houston to determine how much base they're willing to accept in the traded contract.  Then Houston doing the actual restructure with Cobb to trim the base obligation that will get traded over.  

11 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Look we'd all eat a Cobb salad, look at the man's eyes, we can just accept this as a forum and move on.

With that said, actually think this is a pretty solid move, pending contract/trade details.  Cobb still has some tread on the tires, his numbers just fell off here because he couldn't run the deeper stuff and win anymore.  Cobb was always an elite slot, but he was a solid enough receiver through the whole tree that they had him run a lot of stuff that he no longer has the wheels to run.  In MLF's offense he should be a legitimate problem, especially since he knows what Aaron wants.  Get him in the open field with Deguara and Lazard in front and you got yourself an easy twenty yards.

I don’t think anyone would disagree to the statement above but the issue with Cobb is health. Like I get why Rodgers wants this. He’d rather have his bottom six guy be Cobb than some udfa WR with potential. But if Cobb can’t stay healthy... that udfa is getting called up, jordy ain’t getting called up.

I posted this in other thread, but stats-wise, Cobb was pretty-much interchangeable with Lazard last year.  He was quite a bit more receiver-productive than the Malik Taylor/Darrius Shepherd/EQ combo.  No idea how good or willing Cobb is as a blocker, which was obviously a primary responsibility for Taylor, EQ, and Lazard.  

• Both played 10 games
  • Lazard/Cobb 46/48 targets
  • Lazard/Cobb 451/441 yards
  • Lazard/Cobb 33/38 receptions
  • Lazard/Cobb 72%/79% catch percentage
  • Lazard/Cobb 470/369 snaps
  • Malik Taylor + Darrius Shepherd + EQ:  474 snaps, 27 targets/17 catches/229 yards
Edited by craig

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I posted this in other thread, but stats-wise, Cobb was pretty-much interchangeable with Lazard last year.  He was quite a bit more receiver-productive than the Malik Taylor/Darrius Shepherd/EQ combo.  No idea how good or willing Cobb is as a blocker, which was obviously a primary responsibility for Taylor, EQ, and Lazard.  

• Both played 10 games
  • Malik Taylor + Darrius Shepherd + EQ:  474 snaps, 27 targets/117 catches/229 yards

And you can have like 20 Lazard’s on the team for the same amount it was costing the Texans for Cobb....

And given the cap issues GB is headed for, that’s the trade you as a team make. A Lazard that cost nothing instead of an 8 million dollar bestie.

27 minutes ago, craig said:

• Both played 10 games
  • Malik Taylor + Darrius Shepherd + EQ:  474 snaps, 27 targets/117 catches/229 yards

Cobb would definitely be an upgrade to the last spot on the WR group.  The question, outside of money, is how much he would help/hinder the development of Amari and other young guys. He already has a track record of being a great teammate and helping another Amari grow as a young talent and that was without  the coach’s connection he and Amari Rodgers share.  I think he would take some reps away this year but could be a great mentor for the future.

As far as blocking, Randall is gritty and selfless enough to do it. I remember MM used to run a trips formation where it would seem like the other two bigger receivers would block but they would switch it to catch the D off guard and he would be willing if not spectacular getting in guys’ way. 

Edited by Refugee

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Real talk, my GF at the time we drafted him was absolutely confident I was in love with him. So then I started making it even worse and making backgrounds to all my devices him and ****. 

He's a very striking man. Shoot me.

In short, I'd eat Cobb's salad

Great, next we'll be discussing AR's man bob....

• Like 1