return of cobb

FinneasGage

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He is probably going to finish the season with 300 yards and 2 TDs.  And most of that will come in one game against the Bears.  That will make him an all-time hero of the Packers, as if he weren't one already.  

PackersHistory.com -   Just imagining some poor Bears fan father tucking his kid in every night for two years saying, “Don’t worry, Aaron Rodgers and Randall Cobb can’t hurt you anymore” and then waking up to the news today.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Irony alert here: The trade has not been completed and I'd say the longer it drags out the less chance of it happening. Maybe Cobb doesn't want to give up any of his money. It's guaranteed so who could blame him. 

Old, it may work that way.  But it's NOT necessarily the case that Cobb will need to give up ANY guaranteed money; OR that the Packers will get docked with a grievous financial obligation.   Houston can restructure his contract prior to trade to make that work.  

It's up to the Packers to have pre-negotiated that with Houston to limit how much they'd be obligated for. 

1 hour ago, GHARMON9 said:

40 time versus game speed my good man.

Jordy used to fly past defenders at top speed.

Jennings prime was also faster than Cobbs. 

What are we doing today lol? I vividly remember being disappointed with Cobbs playing speed in his last few years with us. Injuries clearly were getting to him.  

You're literally the one who brought up 40 time as evidence he's slow lol. 

3 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

I must have bad memory. Cobb is SLOW. like 4.7-4.8ish slow. He's lost a lot of explosiveness. Not a fan of the move to be honest. 

I guess its all good for Rodgers last year with us.

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Old, it may work that way.  But it's NOT necessarily the case that Cobb will need to give up ANY guaranteed money; OR that the Packers will get docked with a grievous financial obligation.   Houston can restructure his contract prior to trade to make that work.  

It's up to the Packers to have pre-negotiated that with Houston to limit how much they'd be obligated for. 

He wants out of the hell hole that is Houston - and considering our cap situation - he better be willing to take a pay cut.

I’m just loling at all of this.  Everyone saying Cobb is done.  He’s not.  He had more yards per reception in his two years away from Rodgers than he did in all but three years with Rodgers.

If Aaron would have used Cobb’s strengths Cobb wouldn’t have left in the first place.

He had the highest catch rate since his rookie year last year.

Yards per target?  10 in Dallas, 9.2 in Houston.  Last four years in Green Bay?  6.3, 7.1, 7.3, 6.4.

Rodgers literally wouldn’t throw the routes Cobb thrived at running.  And Cobb is the one Rodgers “demanded” they bring back?

It’s placation and saving face.

Like how TF am I the only one who sees that?

• Like 1

Over an hour into the first practice and not one of the low hanging fruit pickers that covers the Packers has mentioned if any players are missing from practice or if none are. Might be a little telling if a player was traded or just a draft pick is changing hands. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m just loling at all of this.  Everyone saying Cobb is done.  He’s not.  He had more yards per reception in his two years away from Rodgers than he did in all but three years with Rodgers.

If Aaron would have used Cobb’s strengths Cobb wouldn’t have left in the first place.

He had the highest catch rate since his rookie year last year.

Yards per target?  10 in Dallas, 9.2 in Houston.  Last four years in Green Bay?  6.3, 7.1, 7.3, 6.4.

Rodgers literally wouldn’t throw the routes Cobb thrived at running.  And Cobb is the one Rodgers “demanded” they bring back?

It’s placation and saving face.

Like how TF am I the only one who sees that?

Agreed. It's Rodgers searching for SOMETHING that he could pretend to exert control over. He went out looking for something and found Cobb and then convinced himself THAT was the hill he would die on to return.

I agree that Cobb isn't done, but he's a bit of an awkward fit on this roster. Happy to have him back CHEAP though. Odds are some WR will get hurt in pre-season.

16 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

You're literally the one who brought up 40 time as evidence he's slow lol. 

You got me there lol. But i still stand that his playing speed was never special and it only got worse over time. 

11 minutes ago, Leader said:

He wants out of the hell hole that is Houston - and considering our cap situation - he better be willing to take a pay cut.

Leader, have you EVER seen a player's agent negotiate away GUARANTEED money?  

We can fault decisions that Gute and Ball make, but these aren't dumb, illogical guys.  Absorbing Cobb's full $8M would be dumb and illogical. 

So, my premises are: 1) that Cobb/agent isn't giving away guaranteed money, AND 2) that the Packers are not trading for an $8M salary.

Logical conclusion:  Houston is taking responsibility for some of that $8M.    

Keep in mind that ANY millions that the Packers pick up is money saved from Houston's cap.  Whether the Packers pick up $2, $3, $4, or $5, whatever they pay is cap-savings for Houston.  It doesn't need to be all $8 or nothing.  

• Like 2

Just now, mikebpackfan said:

I think a lot of Rodgers motivation is seeing what Brady did with Gronk. It’s nice to have a security blanket on 3rd down even if you know the player is no longer a game breaker. I think it’s a false equivalency, but it’s my guess what he is thinking. 

Agree - to both :

- seeing what Brady did with Gronk.
- it's a false equvalency.

Gronk cost about the same as loose change found on the sidewalk.

3 minutes ago, craig said:

We can fault decisions that Gute and Ball make, but these aren't dumb, illogical guys.  Absorbing Cobb's full $8M would be dumb and illogical. 

So, my premises are: 1) that Cobb/agent isn't giving away guaranteed money, AND 2) that the Packers are not trading for an $8M salary.

Logical conclusion:  Houston is taking responsibility for some of that $8M.    

Keep in mind that ANY millions that the Packers pick up is money saved from Houston's cap.  Whether the Packers pick up $2, $3, $4, or $5, whatever they pay is cap-savings for Houston.  It doesn't need to be all $8 or nothing.  

Fine. I dont care how they do it. We shouldnt be making this trade if it's gotta rip a new hole in our already tattered pockets.

Or - to put it another way - if we're really gonna go all in and just **** on the future cap - I could target a bunch of other players that would probably have a greater impact than Cobb will.

Edited by Leader

Leader, with all due respect you're self-contradicting, or arguing contrary to actual facts.  "Gronk cost about the same as loose change found on the sidewalk."  Regarding Cobb, it's "rip a new hole in our already tattered pockets" ... "and just **** on the future cap ".  

The fact is that Cobb will at very absolute worst cost the same as Gronk's deal, and very probably less.  It just isn't factually true that Gronk cost them less than Cobb will cost us.  

14 minutes ago, craig said:

IF a player wants to leave, they'd give up guaranteed money to do so.  But there's a dozen different ways to move money around.  If they convert part of his base salary into a signing bonus prior to the trade, the Packers would be on the hook for less.