Xavien Howard and Dolphins agree to restructure, ending "hold-in"

djw4bucs

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Pretty lame that he'd rake the Phins over coals while trying to force his way out the door. 

Seems like the Dolphins did him more dirty than the other way around.

He even says in there he's tried to work with the organization to find ways to guarantee him more $ rather than asking for a new contract.

I'd blame his agent more than the team, cause he's the one that should've been looking out for his best interest. 

Obviously the team wants to get contracts that are in their favor whenever they can. It's a business.

But, with that "it's a business" being said. I hardly ever blame players for looking out for their interest. It's almost ridiculous at this point that NFL contracts aren't fully guaranteed like every other sport, especially with the nature of the sport. But, of course NFL teams don't want it to be that way and the NFLPA is weak, so not sure when or if that will happen.

Teams constantly do players dirty casting them aside. Not gonna blame a player for looking out for himself in a situation like this.

If he threw anyone under the bus it was probably his teammate, Byron Jones.

25 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I feel like it’s not very often you have a player be this honest and blunt. It’s actually nice to see. 

Bonus that a division foe could be losing a stud.

The fact that he made a thought out public response really puts pressure on Miami. For whatever reason that was my first thought. The public always roots for the "little guy" anyway (yes I know he's a millionaire) when up against the boss hogs. Good move by Howard!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Cards trade:

OLB Chandler Jones

5th round pick

Dolphins trade:

CB Xavien Howard

Thats a fair trade right?

They probably want at least a 3rd in addition to Jones I would think.

But, they would be going from one player unhappy with his contract to another.

At least you're going from premium position (CB) to premium position (pass rusher) though.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

If they do trade him. They have Noah Igbinoghene who they spent a 1st round pick on last year to see what they have in.

I know he struggled as a rookie in the little bit of playing time he got, but he also had to go up against the Seahawks/Bills who have some great receivers to say the least in that playing time he got in the first weeks of the season.

Even without their first rounder that went to the Eagles. They got the 49ers first and third rounders next year. So, they'll have ample ammunition to select a corner on the first 2 days of what could be a historic CB class next year if they don't like what they see in Igbinoghene and whatever other young corners they have.

He's a big reason the Dolphins have arguably the best D in the league, certainly top 3-5. Would be a big blow to lose him, but at the same time, we all know Tua ain't taking that team anywhere, and Xavien's value will never be higher.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

Miami doesn't have the leverage to ask for the moon for him anymore. Jones and a third is extremely good value but I suspect it'll just be a 1 and 3 from whoever. Might even be lucky to get that.

why wouldn't we?

there's no actual pressure for us to trade him whatsoever.

• Like 1