Xavien Howard and Dolphins agree to restructure, ending "hold-in"

djw4bucs

45 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Either way, the Dolphins hold all the leverage here. He has four years left on his deal. Ideally I'd like the team to work something out with him to keep him happy, but its not like the Dolphins have to move him unless they get great value in return.

It does seem like he is amenable to simply guaranteeing more of his future salaries

I wonder how the KVN abrupt termination is factoring in here. He may not trust the dolphins FO to not cut him at the first sign of trouble 

3 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

why wouldn't we?

there's no actual pressure for us to trade him whatsoever.

The dude just admitted he'll be doing the absolute bare minimum for you until he's moved. Holding him hostage out of pride while losing value every day you hold on too long isn't a solution to this problem. We talked about this all summer with Rodgers. Sell high and move on the right way from him.

Edited by Rodjahs12

Just now, N4L said:

It does seem like he is amenable to simply guaranteeing more of his future salaries

I wonder how the KVN abrupt termination is factoring in here. He may not trust the dolphins FO to not cut him at the first sign of trouble 

Clearly the reason he wants more guarantees is that the Dolphins couldn't just do that.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

The dude just admitted he'll be doing the absolute bare minimum for you until he's moved. Holding him hostage out of pride while losing value every day you hold on to long isn't a solution to this problem. We talked about this all summer with Rodgers. Sell high and move on the right way from him.

Exactly. Sell high or negotiate. I was quoting someone who was saying we would have to sell low, which is simply untrue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

The dude just admitted he'll be doing the absolute bare minimum for you until he's moved. Holding him hostage out of pride while losing value every day you hold on too long isn't a solution to this problem. We talked about this all summer with Rodgers. Sell high and move on the right way from him.

Besides, "bare minimum"?

If he has a sucky year his value goes way down as well. It doesn't benefit him if he's reporting anyway to do the "bare minimum".

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Sell high and move on the right way from him.

I mean, Rodgers just caved and showed up. Howard is already at camp and under contract for four more years or whatever. He has no leverage. Half-assing things is only going to lower his value. He's not good enough to go the Ramsey route of faking injuries.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Exactly. Sell high or negotiate. I was quoting someone who was saying we would have to sell low, which is simply untrue.

I don't think you'll be giving him away by any means but this doesn't help your leverage in any way. The guy is basically worthless to you guys now with this mindset being made public. 

Edited by Rodjahs12

3 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I don't think you'll be giving him away by any means, but this doesn't help your leverage in any way. The guy is basically worthless to you guys now with this mindset being made public. 

Not really

Unlike Rodgers (per-negotiation), he's reporting. If he doesn't play well, his value goes down towards any future contract he'd receive from any team. The Dolphins still hold all the power to decide whether or not it is most beneficial to deal him or improve his contract to keep him happy. Or even do nothing.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Not really

Unlike Rodgers, he's reporting. If he doesn't play well, his value goes down towards any future contract he'd receive from any team. The Dolphins still hold all the power to decide whether or not it is most beneficial to deal him or improve his contract to keep him happy. Or even do nothing.

Really just comes down to how serious about it he is. If he caves the way Rodgers seems to have yeah I'd just hold onto him and get another year out of that very friendly contract.