Xavien Howard and Dolphins agree to restructure, ending "hold-in"

djw4bucs

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Clearly the reason he wants more guarantees is that the Dolphins couldn't just do that.

Right, and my point was that the way the dolphins cut KVN, who was a team leader, one year into a long term contract could have potentially eroded any trust between the two parties, leading to an increased amount of uneasiness for an aging player who doesn't have guaranteed money. He is literally one play away from never earning another dollar in his life. 

Miami has the leverage, but ultimately they should give him some sort of rolling guarantee. Have his 22 salary guarantee if hes on the roster week 1 of 21. Have his 23 salary guarantee if hes on the roster week 1 of 22 etc etc. You can still get out from under it if he falls off

Just now, N4L said:

Right, and my point was that the way the dolphins cut KVN, who was a team leader, one year into a long term contract could have potentially eroded any trust between the two parties, leading to an increased amount of uneasiness for an aging player who doesn't have guaranteed money. He is literally one play away from never earning another dollar in his life. 

Miami has the leverage, but ultimately they should give him some sort of rolling guarantee. Have his 22 salary guarantee if hes on the roster week 1 of 21. Have his 23 salary guarantee if hes on the roster week 1 of 22 etc etc. You can still get out from under it if he falls off

I don't really disagree that Miami needs to either trade him or add guarenteed money to his contract.

I merely think this doesn't hurt his value in a potential trade.

3 minutes ago, FinSting said:

No leverage?

See you at practice tomorrow Xavien. 

That's...leverage. 

It's not real productive though because it just pisses him off more and pushes the problem further into the future when the return is going to be less. Leverage sure, but not exactly good leverage.

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

It's not real productive though because it just pisses him off more and pushes the problem further into the future when the return is going to be less. Leverage sure, but not exactly good leverage.

He knows his leverage is at an all time high, now, too, though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, showtime said:

Wouldn't it have been helpful to both parties to have this come to light like 5 months ago vs now when the season is so close to starting?

I think his whole point is that he's been trying to work something out all summer long and got ignored by the team so he got fed up with the lack of communication and took it to social media.

Lot of respect for him that he did it himself and not have his agent leak it to a reporter. He seems very believable because of that.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think his whole point is that he's been trying to work something out all summer long and got ignored by the team so he got fed up with the lack of communication and took it to social media.

Lot of respect for him that he did it himself and not have his agent leak it to a reporter. He seems very believable because of that.

Yeah, I get that. I was just saying that even if Miami did trade him, wouldn't it be difficult to go to a brand new team and learn a new scheme/plays at this point?

I believe his post as well.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Yeah, I get that. I was just saying that even if Miami did trade him, wouldn't it be difficult to go to a brand new team and learn a new scheme/plays at this point?

I believe his post as well.

I think he would ball out wherever he went. He's a boundary CB, pretty scheme independent. He will succeed in any defense I think.

• Like 1

When he signed the extension, I thought it was a risky move by Miami. His first season making big money in 2019, (15M) he played only 5 games. He’s only had 2 full seasons out of 5. He FINALLY gets another full season in, and now this happens. Good riddance.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

When he signed the extension, I thought it was a risky move by Miami. His first season making big money in 2019, (15M) he played only 5 games. He’s only had 2 full seasons out of 5. He FINALLY gets another full season in, and now this happens. Good riddance.

I definitely get that frustration when a guy doesn't live up to contract because of unavailability vs inability. It's the one thing that fans of all other teams will ignore because all they see is the ability WHEN HE PLAYS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bonus that a division foe could be losing a stud.

+1

I'm sold on the Dolphins being a very good defense, with a very below average offense

I will be very happy to watch that "very good defense" demote to a "pretty good defense"