Training Camp Thread......

soulman

Some random thoughts on TC:

Bears fan policy just flat sucks.  They are allowing very filtered info and almost no video from camp.   They aren’t even allowing most fans who want to go to attend practice with their stupid lottery program.  

They held family night on a Tue. During the day and then complained about attendance.  What they give you officially from camp is a <2 minute video of no context very clipped highlights.  

They are paranoid about fans with cell phones at camp and threatening them.  Then NFL turns around and uses smuggled fan clips, not official Bears crap highlights, to promote Bears and Bears say nothing.    But God help the fan if he gets caught filming by Bears - banned.   

We get random tweets from beat reporters and have to extrapolate from that.  Tweets are a couple sentences.  This is not how it is supposed to work.  This is crap.

Meanwhile other teams are streaming practice.  

—-

Chargers are super excited about Herbert.   Remember plan was to sit him for the year last year.   They got lucky that plan didn’t come to fruition.  Now they have a QB on ascendency with a season of experience under his belt.  

Bears O line plan has been shattered.  Most rookies stink at OT in best of circumstances.   We have one that isn’t practicing in most crucial time of year to learn.  Oh and other 4 aren’t really practicing either.   There will be no early cohesion it looks like.  Hopefully line comes together in time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, G08 said:

Chris Williams had a herniated disk.

Teven Jenkins, apparently, has a lumbar sprain. Two entirely different injuries.

If it's been diagnosed as a sprain then ligament damage is far more likely than simple muscle strain.  If he's torn a ligament and he's not responding to current treatment he may be out quite awhile longer.

The concern here and why CWill's name came up is that in both cases we were aware that the kid we were drafting had back injuries in college that's all.  And while CWill's issue may have been more severe Jenkins issue is not just a "sore back". 

It's a painful injury that can take as much as a month or more to recover from.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

In football reports no injury is a big deal. 

Just way it is.  You don’t usually know truth except in hindsight.  

I can agree with the second in that we seldom get an honest answer unless a guy ends up on the PUP or IR.

5 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

So here's a question:

Everyone thought Teven Jenkins was a steal where the Bears drafted him. But was he actually sliding because of teams' medical concerns?

I absolutely believe so. He's too talented and mean not to otherwise imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

So here's a question:

Everyone thought Teven Jenkins was a steal where the Bears drafted him. But was he actually sliding because of teams' medical concerns?

That seems to be case.  Same with Jaylon Johnson.   He would have gone sooner but for the multiple shoulder issues.

Pace really likes to gamble in draft and try to strike gold.  

In first two rounds in terms of projection his safest or safer picks were Roquan Smith, Fields, Kmet, Daniels, Whitehair, Goldman and ironically Kevin White.

Jenkins - pre existing injury concerns

Johnson - pre existing injury concerns

MT - no experience, raw, little competition

Shaheen - small school, raw

Floyd - ILB moving to edge

If you look at middle and later rounds he has taken a lot of raw traits guys, injured players and also players that don't have typical size for position - like Shelley, Vildor, Mooney and Cohen.

Only area he doesn't gamble is character or criminal problems like Cincinnati, Dallas and KC are willing to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

So here's a question:

No. Brad Biggs reached out to multiple teams and discussed Jenkins' medical report. Not a single team said there was anything which would have flagged him as a risk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

No. Brad Biggs reached out to multiple teams and discussed Jenkins' medical report. Not a single team said there was anything which would have flagged him as a risk.

I don't know how back issues on 300+ lb. people is not a risk no matter how mild.

Don't get my tone wrong, I love Jenkins.   One of all time favorite college tapes to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I don't know how back issues on 300+ lb. people is not a risk no matter how mild.

Don't get my tone wrong, I love Jenkins.   One of all time favorite college tapes to watch.

Not all back issues are created the same.

If we were discussing disc issues or structural issues, I'd be very concerned.

We're talking about ligament strains, at the very worst you can numb him up and put him on the field tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

As G08 just stated below, back injury is a very broad term.  It could be anything from disc to muscle strain.  The thing with back injuries is they hurt like hell and can make life very uncomfortable when they are happening, but the vast majority of them just need rest and treatment.

• Like 2

The OL situation is an issue.

I am not sure how you can rely on Jenkins at all right now. They haven’t told us anything and their actions make it seem like they are confused.

Something needs to be done to secure the OL. Sign a real OT to protect yourself against these guys not making it back.