Training Camp Thread......

soulman

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

I'd like to tackle just this one paragraph.

While it's possible that Mitch Trubisky career was derailed by putting him under too much pressure too soon I don't believe that's what happened in my own mind.  I believe Mitch was poorly prepared to become an NFL starter because he spent far too little time as a starter in college.  Maybe another year or two at that as Fields has had would have made a difference.

What's most noticeable in the difference between the two surfaces almost immediately during their respective pressers.  Mitch was always more unsure of himself and more of an I gotta get better kind of guy simply parroting what most failing to win often enough guys do.  Fields is far more confident and more of an "I got this" kind of guy because he's been there before.

Fields has gone up against some of the toughest college defenses in the nation and beaten them.  Mitch Trubisky never did.  Fields may get injured due to a poor OL or some other factor but he's not gonna be impacted as much by a bad series or a bad game because he's had those as well and came back from them to win.  Bad habits can also be corrected on the fly.

So while I began this summer buying into Matt Nagy's approach of starting Dalton and bringing Fields along slowly all I've had to do is watch both in preseason to know whose the better QB now and despite all of his experience it isn't Andy Dalton.  If the objective is to both protect and perfect Fields well then I guess Matt Nagy's approach is the way to go about it.....maybe.

But if your objective is to win as often as you can as soon as you can then you really need to be playing your top talent at every position and not dawdle or be indecisive about it.  Fields may or may not make a few more mistakes than Andy Dalton will but he's also better equipped to recover from them and has many times over at OSU.  IMHO he'll do the exact same here.

You have to factor in advantage rookie salary gives to building a team with expensive free agents.

Holes can be plugged much easier for next 3-4 years or so depending on what you do with his contract and when or if you extend him.

But those years when he is cheap AND playing well are years that a team has a major advantage over a team with a good QB on a 2nd deal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Because argument is that Nagy is a pro and we shouldn't question his QB development strategy.

You see where I am going with it?   Its funny.  See.

Well.....he does make a lot of money and being paid for a job does essentially classify you as a professional.  But that as far as I'm willing to go.  😆

And yes.  The path is well lit and it's both funny and sadly pathetic.  😟

Still, how can even think to question a pro HC whose already failed to develop one 1st round QB with his plan to develop a second 1st round QB?

Sir.....at long last, have you no decency? 🤣

Edited by soulman

On 8/1/2021 at 12:07 AM, JAF-N72EX said:

It's healing. He might be limited in week 1 but he's on track to be "ready". He talked about this.

Evidently not

Maybe put down the video game controller and hit the physical therapist, Tarik

The lack of news surrounding him has been eerie. I'm beginning to wonder if he'll even be out there week 7. IIRC Barkley and him had the injuries in the same game and Barkley's been practicing all camp

45 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Evidently not

Maybe put down the video game controller and hit the physical therapist, Tarik

The lack of news surrounding him has been eerie. I'm beginning to wonder if he'll even be out there week 7. IIRC Barkley and him had the injuries in the same game and Barkley's been practicing all camp

Barkley is not playing on his 2nd contract.  

On 9/1/2021 at 7:40 AM, abstract_thought said:

It seems odd that so many critics of Matt Nagy now preach trust in his approach to developing Fields

It seems odd that so many people are criticizing Nagy's approach before Fields takes a single snap in the NFL.

It also seems odd that so many of you are bitchin about how Fields should start while in the same breath complaining about "how bad the OL looks".

It’s an entirely different situation. Mahomes was sitting behind an established veteran on a playoff team.

Dalton is an "established" veteran on a playoff team too....🤷‍♀️

And for every Mahomes, there’s a Watson or Prescott or Murray or Herbert that played early and turned out fine.

...And for every Watson, there are dozens of Mitch's, Darnold's, RG3, Leafs, and Haskins'.

As for Bears fans being notoriously tough on QBs - this is the same fan base that spun itself in circles to believe in Mitch Trubisky, even 1-2 years after he proved he wasn’t a great QB.

Speak for yourself. Some of us knew Mitch was trash. I guess you forgot Mitch getting booed back in 2018.

Bears fans are brutal on QBs. That's not even up for debate, despite your strawman argument here.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, dll2000 said:

I notice you didn’t mention Love.  Shouldn’t he be ready to take the reigns this season and run with it?

Mitch, Winston, Haskins, Mariota, Bradford, Darnold, and a dozen other failed QBs started day 1 and have thousands of reps with 1s, shouldn't they be ready to win the Super Bowl by now?

3 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Not all ACL injuries are equal.

I understand that. Barkley is also an incredible athlete. My point was the surgery has come so far and plenty of guys come back in 10-12 months (sometimes earlier if you're a freak like AD was). Like you said back in August I fully expected Cohen to be out there vs LA despite being somewhat suspect as my original post said; there just was no talk about him. Now, I'm having doubts we'll see him even in week 7

9 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It seems odd that so many people are criticizing Nagy's approach before Fields takes a single snap in the NFL.

Probably because it's getting nearly impossible to defend anything Nagy does or says

It also seems odd that so many of you are bitchin about how Fields should start while in the same breath complaining about "how bad the OL looks".

I think the OL looked bad but ultimately they'll gel. Regardless, isn't a bad OL reason to play a mobile (and good) QB? Further, if the OL stinks so bad, Dalton will be hurt in no time, and then Fields will have to play.

Dalton is an "established" veteran on a playoff team too....🤷‍♀️

Smith was playing great football though. Hard to imagine Dalton doing anything remotely close

...And for every Watson, there are dozens of Mitch's, Darnold's, RG3, Leafs, and Haskins'.

Speak for yourself. Some of us knew Mitch was trash. I guess you forgot Mitch getting booed back in 2018.

Bears fans are brutal on QBs. That's not even up for debate, despite your strawman argument here.