Colts extend OT Braden Smith for 4 years/72.4 million

TheRealMcCoy

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's really no difference any more. A lot of teams are having their premiere edge rusher against the Right Tackle. LT still has a slight edge just due to the blind side, but I'd say that the quality of opponent that an RT faces compared to an LT isn't a thing any more. 

Whether or not you believe this to be the case, they still have a demonstrably lower market value.

12 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Whether or not you believe this to be the case, they still have a demonstrably lower market value.

Yes, but its' not like this deal reset the market at RT either. Top of the market is 19+ million. He's #2 on AAV, but just barely above Lane Johnson. Right tackles are getting a huge bump in the most recent contracts. It may never quite reach the LT depth at the top in terms of top paid guys, but it can also ebb and flow based on when the contracts come do. Look at what happened at the TE position. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yes, but its' not like this deal reset the market at RT either. Top of the market is 19+ million. He's #2 on AAV, but just barely above Lane Johnson. Right tackles are getting a huge bump in the most recent contracts. It may never quite reach the LT depth at the top in terms of top paid guys, but it can also ebb and flow based on when the contracts come do. Look at what happened at the TE position. 

At one point in time, Lane Johnson’s contract was considered an outlier because the Eagles were considering moving him to LT. There has been some speculation that Ramczyk could move to LT if the Saints move on from Armstead after 2021. And when Castonzo retired there was talk about moving Smith or Nelson to LT.

The top 3 RT contracts were given to guys with consideration to potential moves to LT

Just now, Wyld Stallyns said:

At one point in time, Lane Johnson’s contract was considered an outlier because the Eagles were considering moving him to LT. There has been some speculation that Ramczyk could move to LT if the Saints move on from Armstead after 2021. And when Castonzo retired there was talk about moving Smith or Nelson to LT.

The top 3 RT contracts were given to guys with consideration to potential moves to LT

I believe that plays less of a role than these guys just being really good at their jobs. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I believe that plays less of a role than these guys just being really good at their jobs. 

Well I mostly agree with you there. I made the LT argument because I thought Smith would be closer to Moton ($17M AAV) then Ramczyk. Only other reason is Ballard’s consistent talk about the locker room having an interest in who you give the big money to. 

• Like 1