How are those rookies performing?

Scoundrel

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Walker Little was someone who I was hoping the Chiefs would get at LT prior to the Brown Jr. trade. Has he been playing LT or RT so far?

Started at LT but has since started getting a lot of reps at RT (such as yesterday). Think they’re trying to make sure he’s comfortable at both so he can slide in if one of the two tackles struggle. 

25 year old, 6th round rookie Rodarius Williams (older brother of Greedy Williams) has been tearing it up in Giants camp. James Bradberry and Adoree Jackson are having great camps and are firmly entrenched as starters, and 2nd year CB Darnay Holmes is also having himself a camp, but Rodarius has been fantastic. I believe he has 3 or 4 picks total, including 2 of the 3 Jones has thrown. He's been sticking with every receiver, including Shep who looks better than he ever has, and is getting some first team reps. He may be a steal; right now, even in an ultra crowded CB room, he is going to make the roster. 

The Giants secondary is stacked. At corner, we are probably carrying Bradberry, Adoree Jackson, Darnay Holmes, 3rd round rookie Aaron Robinson,  Rodarius Williams, and Isaac Yiadom. At safety, Logan Ryan and Jabrill Peppers will start with Xavier Mckinney poised to get a lot of reps as well. Julian Love can play anywhere, S or CB, so he will get snaps as well.

Patriots rookies are doing very well so far. Cameron McGrone is still recovering from his injury but Barmore is pushing for a starting spot as well as Mac, Perkins looks like a good rotational player for year 1 and Stevenson looks like a young Blount with more speed.

After 2 preseason games the steelers look to have a solid group of rookies.

Najee has looked like the real deal and is day 1 starter.

Freirmuth will most likely send Ebron to the bench by mid season.

Green is out day 1 starter at center.

Dan Moore has had lots of good reports out of camp and for a player i thought was over drafted he has a chance of taking away a starting tackle spot this year.

Buddy Johnson has flashed a little but is destined to be a special teamer this year with a chance to grow into defensive snaps.

Isaiahh Loudermilk was another player over drafted but has shown well in camp and has a shot at the 53.

Quincey Roche has burst but is destined for practice squad.

Trey Norwood is just not athlete enough to be anything more than low end roster fodder. May make the practice squad but I have my doubts.

Pressley Harvin will be the starting punter week 1.

Overall it has the looks of a potential star in Harris and 4 other starters/future starters in Freirmuth, Green, Moore, and Harvin.

Gregory Rousseau - still needs to refine some things but his physical talent and length is evident right away. He should have a nice rookie season.

Boogie Basham  - needs some work It's early but he seems like a tweener right now and I'm not sure how he gets on the field early. Could be inactive to start.

Spencer Brown - Will be the teams 3rd Tackle. Likely see's a lot of action as an extra OL/TE set when they want to run the ball and down in the redzone.

Tommy Doyle - Needs a lot of work. Was a liability in the pass game in the first pre-season game

Marquez Stevenson - Kid has speed! But still facing up hill battle to make the 53

Damar Hamlin - Led the team in special teams and defensive snaps in week 1. Should be a lock for the roster behind veterans Poyer and Hyde.

Rachad Wildgoose - Has not shown well and likely spends year one on the PS

Jack Anderson - Honestly can't recall if he saw the field in week 1. He's a prime candidate for the PS. 

1 preseason game in for the niners: 

Trey Lance- super mixed bag. You can see the talent, and for his first 7 passes, it was amazing. Then he had two separate two minute drives at the end of the half and he was basically a completely different QB. Bad decisions, wonky accuracy. It's these type of situations that he needs experience in and you can't get that experience from the bench. Weird situation for the niners to be in.  But again, you can see the talent and if they just started Lance from day 1, i think that they would still contend for a playoff spot (helps that the schedule is among the easier ones), but they could also start Jimmy all year and I'd kind of get that as well (I'd hope that they find ways to get Trey a series or two every game just to get him some reps) 

Aaron Banks - Not going to lie, I'm already worried. When you're 24 years old, playing guard (a position I believe can be one of the easier ones ot make the transition to, though admittedly scheme may play a role), coming from arguably the preeminent school for offensive line play based on coaching and S&C program and you're struggling in camp and having a bad preseason one game? Given the specific scenario, highly concerning for me. Now he's hurt and will miss 2-3 weeks. This pick has badness written all over it. 

Trey Sermon - I was critical of the trade up to go get him and probably always will be. I thought he was...okay? Really, same concerns I had coming out. I see no initial acceleration burst / explosion and he's never had the long speed.  He's always going to be a problem bringing down. Ultimate, ultimate ceiling would probably be a Marshawn type player, but I could also see him being mostly a complimentary piece who's never a true bell cow. He did catch the ball more comfortably then i expected, and he had one huge blitz pick up which is always a big deal for the rookie running backs. 

Ambry Thomas - Up and down camp for him, but I thought he was mostly solid in his first game here. He didn't go up against starters, and he's very grabby. The up and down camp may be a byproduct of being rusty and getting sick previously (lost a bunch of weight, I believe). He was also rusty at the senior bowl practices. Really banking on the Michigan tape here. He gave up a couple of catches, but they are on shallow crossing routes which are such high percentage completion plays (and one of them was a truly great pass) that I don't really hold that against him when you almost always have to play in the trail there. 

Jaylon Moore - Lots of technical issues, but he's super smooth. Can really move.  Supposedly, the original intent was to move him inside to guard, but he's had to stay at tackle because of injuries. Its the better play anyway (truthfully, I'd rather him learn to be a center). Very fluid athlete, but I think he's way behind in the actual line play. Was out of position multiple times, whiffed on a couple of blocks. You typically don't expect a ton from guys taken in the fifth round to play tackle, and we really shouldn't expect a ton here, but at least I see a skillset with which he can grow into and be a competent player on (which is more than I can say for the guy he replaced, Justin Skule). 

Deommodore Lenoir -  The draft position of he and Thomas probably should have been swapped. Lenoir has been excellent in camp, got the start yesterday and was pretty good. Was locked up with all sorts of different types of players, and had notably sticky coverage in multiple spots. He was paired against Hill early on, but played later into the game and had a nice mix of the types of receivers he faced. Ultimately was rewarded with an INT

Talanoa Hufanga - This is probably the most exciting prospect (besides Lance) out of this class. He's had injury problems in his college career, but I don't know anyone who really didn't like him coming out, and his play has absolutely carried over. Weirdly (to me), he's gotten quite a bit of run as a FS with some single high usage, not something I expected. I saw more of a moneybacker hybrid role for him where he could play overhang, box safety, zone slot, etc. This year he may not get a ton of snaps on defense, but should still be a special teams standout before moving into a bigger defensive role in the years following. He's the guy that has had near universal positive reviews in camp and his first game saw him make a couple of very nice special teams plays along with a big time third down tackle short of the sticks. He's got great instincts to get to the ball. He did have a DPI call in coverage, but it wasn't a deep field coverage and was more or less a timing issue coming down hill. May have been exacerbated by a poor pass from KC, but not overly concerned about the DPI even though my biggest concern for him is coverage. 

Elijah Mitchell - He got hurt before the first game (like right before, apparently....nobody knew he was hurt going into the game). We've heard some positive things during camp. He's going to be out a few weeks; wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up on PUP for a chunk of the year, or if they just flat out pull the IR stash for him this year and then have him ready to go next season once Mostert leaves. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jaylon Moore - Lots of technical issues, but he's super smooth. Can really move.  Supposedly, the original intent was to move him inside to guard, but he's had to stay at tackle because of injuries. Its the better play anyway (truthfully, I'd rather him learn to be a center). Very fluid athlete, but I think he's way behind in the actual line play. Was out of position multiple times, whiffed on a couple of blocks. You typically don't expect a ton from guys taken in the fifth round to play tackle, and we really shouldn't expect a ton here, but at least I see a skillset with which he can grow into and be a competent player on (which is more than I can say for the guy he replaced, Justin Skule). 

Definitely technically raw. He plays off-balance too often. But damn that kid is smooth and quick. And he ain't weak either. I think given the time, he'll become a quality starter somewhere on the OL.

• Like 1