How are those rookies performing?

Scoundrel

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah look absolutely outstanding in that preseason game, was all over the field making plays, powerful hitter with speed, he could be a flat out steal.  Arguably the most impressive rookie defender I saw this first week.  His teammate Richard LeCounte III also played some great football and made a lot of plays, maybe that 4.8 40 was total BS and the dude did deserve to be a 1st round pick or at worst 2nd rounder.  

Davis Mills for the Texans looked pretty solid, very talented throwing arm and showed good footwork and poise in the pocket, awesome release as well.  Kellen Mond looked ok at times then other times was pretty lost but he has only practiced 3 times all training camp and just got over having COVID-19 so of course he should look a bit behind.  And based on how poorly Dozier played at OG for the Vikings Wyatt Davis could be climbing up the depth chart, he looked decent for his first time out but needs to et into better shape it looks like.

Cade Sterns looked decent for the Broncos at safety and Vincent Jr showed some flashes as well, Chaz Surratt on the Vikings could be their next Eric Wilson type being that athletic backer who can cover and make plays with his speed.  

Tough evaluation for some guys because at times teams had straight up starters going against another teams 2nd or 3rd string guys so hard to evaluate that.

Rhamondre Stevenson is not real surprise, the kid did what he did on Oklahoma, run the ball and play tough physical football.  Also guys underrate his speed just like they did in college, is a hard dude to bring down and despite being on a team that is pretty set at RB he is yet another good one.  They are going to have to make some choices with RB having Sony Michel, Damien Harris, James White, Rhamondre Stevenson, JJ Taylor and Brandon Bolden.  I assume Taylor and Bolden will be cut but curious if they keep four backs or not, Stevenson I think could play FB if they really wanted him to but not sure they do.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 4:56 PM, chiefs82 said:

Trey Smith has been a monster in camp, Bolton’s looked good with Hitchens out with a hammy, and Humphrey has been running with the 1s all camp

Yeah that Trey Smith for them is a steal and in that system he could be amazing.  Does that mean Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is not going to play this season and is done with football?  Either way that OL is greatly improved, still nuts how the Ravens just kind of let go of arguably the best young RT in the game and now he is a LT and will do great on arguably the team with the best WR, TE and QB in the NFL now have one of the best OTs as well and one of the best OGs also in Thuney.

Still some teams could get some decent OL on the Chiefs after cuts happen, Tega Wanogho I think will be cut because of depth and he is a talented player, same with Andrew Wylie who starter a lot for them over the past few years.  Allegretti I think will make the team but Darryl Williams will be cut and not sure the situation of Kyle Long or if he can play anymore but he is more likely going to be let go same with Yasir Durant.  

They are loaded on the OL though, curious who will be the RT Niang or Remmers.  Either way super impressive Humphrey and Smith could start as rookies with such a talented group already.  With Smith it must have been the health issues as to why he dropped because he played great basically all throughout his career on Tennessee when he was in there especially last year.  6th round for him is nuts he should have been a 2nd or at worst 3rd rounder.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah that Trey Smith for them is a steal and in that system he could be amazing.  Does that mean Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is not going to play this season and is done with football?  Either way that OL is greatly improved, still nuts how the Ravens just kind of let go of arguably the best young RT in the game and now he is a LT and will do great on arguably the team with the best WR, TE and QB in the NFL now have one of the best OTs as well and one of the best OGs also in Thuney.

Still some teams could get some decent OL on the Chiefs after cuts happen, Tega Wanogho I think will be cut because of depth and he is a talented player, same with Andrew Wylie who starter a lot for them over the past few years.  Allegretti I think will make the team but Darryl Williams will be cut and not sure the situation of Kyle Long or if he can play anymore but he is more likely going to be let go same with Yasir Durant.  

They are loaded on the OL though, curious who will be the RT Niang or Remmers.  Either way super impressive Humphrey and Smith could start as rookies with such a talented group already.  With Smith it must have been the health issues as to why he dropped because he played great basically all throughout his career on Tennessee when he was in there especially last year.  6th round for him is nuts he should have been a 2nd or at worst 3rd rounder.  

I hope Tega Wanogho makes it.   He looked very solid in the first preseason game, looked the best along the 2nd string at least.     LDT, Long, and Remmers are all out right now,  possible all start on IR.  
O. Brown
J. Thuney
C. Humphrey
T. Smith
L. Niang
M. Remmers
P. Tega Wanogho
K. Long
LDT
A. Blythe

Is how I see the 53 shaping up.  With Allegretti staying if LDT/Long start on IR.

Wylie is okay depth,  he’s slowly went downhill year by year.  I don’t see Wylie, Durant, or D. Williams making the roster. 

8 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I hope Tega Wanogho makes it.   He looked very solid in the first preseason game, looked the best along the 2nd string at least.     LDT, Long, and Remmers are all out right now,  possible all start on IR.  
O. Brown
J. Thuney
C. Humphrey
T. Smith
L. Niang
M. Remmers
P. Tega Wanogho
K. Long
LDT
A. Blythe

Is how I see the 53 shaping up.  With Allegretti staying if LDT/Long start on IR.

Wylie is okay depth,  he’s slowly went downhill year by year.  I don’t see Wylie, Durant, or D. Williams making the roster. 

Can Kyle Long even be a decent pro anymore?  And again is LDT even considering football again, if so and Trey Smith is the starter not sure he will stick with the game and probably will go back to doing what he was doing during the Pandemic but who knows maybe he is fine on the bench but I doubt it.  Most NFL teams keep what 8-10 max OL, sure they could sneak a guy on the roster if LDT and Remmers are on IR but once that changes those other guys will become available and someone will pick them up.

Either way it is a really solid group and will be interesting to see what team can grab the guys they have to cut.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Can Kyle Long even be a decent pro anymore?  And again is LDT even considering football again, if so and Trey Smith is the starter not sure he will stick with the game and probably will go back to doing what he was doing during the Pandemic but who knows maybe he is fine on the bench but I doubt it.  Most NFL teams keep what 8-10 max OL, sure they could sneak a guy on the roster if LDT and Remmers are on IR but once that changes those other guys will become available and someone will pick them up.

Either way it is a really solid group and will be interesting to see what team can grab the guys they have to cut.  

For sure.  It really is hard telling what they’ll do with Kyle Long and LDT,   Both have spoken a ton about how excited they are to be back.   With the injuries,  makes it harder to predict what will happen with both,  but both have spoken they are happy to be back to football.      With the starters looking to be locked up without them,  we can afford to give them a bit longer to get healthy.     We’ll probably drop 2-3 decent depth guys along the OL once all the injuries clear.    It just may be 3-4 weeks into the season,  once guys are clear from IR.   

Or it could be week 1 if they come back quicker,  but as depth I see them giving them time.    Or we could drop both and eat the dead money.   But both seem to want to play again.   As depth and with Remmers versatility,  both would likely be OL 7-8 at most. 

On 8/14/2021 at 8:00 AM, ttitansfan4life said:

Looks like Rousseau is going to make a lot of people look dumb. Him and Phillips were top 10 talents.

A man can dream, can't he!?

Rousseau has all the tools to be an elite player in this league. Buffalo desperately needs to hit on that pick. That could be the difference between making some nice runs in the playoffs that ends just short of the goal, or winning a championship. Fingers crossed he pans out!

Edited by WizeGuy

The Jets may have 4-5 rookies starting and most of them contributing in some way. 

Zach Wilson obviously is starting.

AVT is going to start, but he had a set back with a injury. Should start week 1.

Elijah Moore has looked like the best player on the field in practices, had a quad injury that made him miss the preseason game. Should be ready for week 1.

Hamsah Nasirildeen is looking to start at WLB after being converted to LBer from safety.

Michael Carter is probably going to get significant touches on offense at RB as we do a committee approach.

Then there is a lot of competition at CB between Brandin Echols, Jason Pinnock, and Michael Carter III. Michael Carter III is a candidate for NB.  

Johnathan Marshall looked explosive at DT and had a few nice plays vs the Giants. 

This draft class is looking real strong so far, still real early but promising. 

Edited by NYJets4716

14 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

The Jets may have 4-5 rookies starting and most of them contributing in some way. 

Zach Wilson obviously is starting.

AVT is going to start, but he had a set back with a injury. Should start week 1.

Elijah Moore has looked like the best player on the field in practices, had a quad injury that made him miss the preseason game. Should be ready for week 1.

Hamsah Nasirildeen is looking to start at WLB after being converted to LBer from safety.

Michael Carter is probably going to get significant touches on offense at RB as we do a committee approach.

Then there is a lot of competition at CB between Brandin Echols, Jason Pinnock, and Michael Carter III. Michael Carter III is a candidate for NB.  

Johnathan Marshall looked explosive at DT and had a few nice plays vs the Giants. 

This draft class is looking real strong so far, still real early but promising. 

I believe the Jets have a good GM in Douglas. Now they just need to hope the coaching will pan out as well as Wilson. If that happens- watch out. 

On 8/15/2021 at 9:23 PM, Forge said:

Trey Sermon - I was critical of the trade up to go get him and probably always will be. I thought he was...okay? Really, same concerns I had coming out. I see no initial acceleration burst / explosion and he's never had the long speed.  He's always going to be a problem bringing down. Ultimate, ultimate ceiling would probably be a Marshawn type player, but I could also see him being mostly a complimentary piece who's never a true bell cow. He did catch the ball more comfortably then i expected, and he had one huge blitz pick up which is always a big deal for the rookie running backs. 

Receiving ability in camp looks better than I expected. What i didn't like in that first pre season game was his inability to get yards after contact. He's big and shifty but he's got to get into that second level instead of finding somewhere to land. I think that'll be the difference between being the guy or a jag.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Any chance of having him sneak up on people is gone lol.

To answer Pat McAfee he dropped in the draft because he opted out and did not play last year in college... Clearly hurt his stock by sitting out but nice to see him doing well.   Also Michael Irvin's actual son has very little chance of being drafted next year so honestly Michael Irvin does not have much to do with it, but sure is fun for some to tweet it out. 

• Like 2

Mukuamu has played free safety and in the box and he’s played both positions so well that according to Pro Football Focus he’s the highest-graded rookie safety in the NFL during the preseason.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/20/dallas-cowboys-israel-mukuamu-safety-grade/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0l-gKPIwOLdMM5eciqnwwluJ1Lx1Sr1brCU7TpN2Q1fCSgfBRY_7c2bcM

Joshua Kaindoh looked good for the Chiefs, obviously a talented player but did not play much at all last season in college because of the injury.  So Chiefs could have got a steal with him, such a big long and athletic dude just can he stay healthy or not.   

Bears are looking like they have an awesome draft class.  Sure Teven Jenkins has been hurt and cannot play but Justin Fields has looked very dangerous offensively when he has been out there, amazing as a runner and has such a strong throwing arm.   Larry Borom showed decent ability as a tackle and has good feet and a great strong base.  Herbert has looked very solid as a RB with quick feet and a good burst, Newsome has been decent at WR.  Graham has looked very athletic and agile in coverage with great ball skills which is not a surprise.  Tonga has showed some force in the middle as well and could be a late round steal as a potential NT.  

Then you got these two steals at UDFA with Snowden who is a physical freak with his length and he has made some plays this preseason and Daniel Archibong is a massive dude as well and could be a great developmental DE in that 3/4.  Then they also got Caleb Johnson a young active ILB as a UDFA as well.

Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

Larry Borom, OT, Missouri

Khalil Herbert, RB, Virginia Tech

Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina

Thomas Graham, Jr., CB, Oregon

Khyiris Tonga, DT, BYU

Charles Snowden, OLB, Virginia UDFA

Daniel Archibong, DE, Temple UDFA

Caleb Johnson, LB, Houston Baptist UDFA

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:42 AM, 49erurtaza said:

Hufanga outside of Trey Lance has probably been the best rookie for the 49ers so far. 

I wanted the Dolphins to draft Hufanga sooooo bad, even if after we drafted Holland I wanted Hufanaga, they would be the perfect duo. Hufanga at SS playing the run, blitzing, covering TE’s, applying big hits to WR’s over the middle. Holland playing CB like coverage with ball hawking skills. They would compliment each other so well.

• Like 1