Why we are not screwed with the cap in 2022 and beyond

Brit Pack

1 minute ago, VonKarman said:

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry signed for 50M/4Y. The minimum Tonyan will get if he plays decently/well this year will be 40M/4Y and my guess is he'll be close to those contracts.

Jesus. I guess I didn't realize they got that much. Good call. Just seemed high looking at it 

1 minute ago, VonKarman said:

Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry signed for 50M/4Y. The minimum Tonyan will get if he plays decently/well this year will be 40M/4Y and my guess is he'll be close to those contracts.

I dig me some Tonyan.  And maybe he would get that offer on the free agent market.  But really, I'd be looking at that Logan Thomas type of contract for him. 3 years, $24 M with a little over 10M guaranteed.  If we can even afford that.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I dig me some Tonyan.  And maybe he would get that offer on the free agent market.  But really, I'd be looking at that Logan Thomas type of contract for him. 3 years, $24 M with a little over 10M guaranteed.  If we can even afford that.

Yeah .. saw that Logan Thomas contract the other day and though that could be a possible Tonyan deal.

6 hours ago, Kenrik said:

1. Push more money down the road and re-sign Adams and try to go all in next year as well.

2. Let Adams walk (3rd round pick), trade Rodgers for a couple top picks, release some of the vets and work on extending young players, let Love get some experience and nail the draft. I'm excited for this option. 

Yep, either of these work for me.

I just hope they don't try and aim for the middle. If Love is the QB, option two must be the choice. If Rodgers is QB then whatever shovel 200m dead money into 2024 or whatever it takes to keep window open.

On 7/29/2021 at 2:53 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why would we cut Turner? What he brings is WAY more valuable than 4 million in savings

The OP suggested it as Norm suggested. I'm not suggesting it at all because...

On 7/30/2021 at 10:28 AM, vegas492 said:

@Joe Has voiced his opinion concerning Turner's play last year and specifically cited him as the reason why the Tampa game was lost.  He's said it many, many times.

We all have that one player we don't like for whatever reason.  This is just his guy to bag on.  Be it "right" or "wrong".

Turner has been much better as a RT or RG, which I've said numerous times if you were paying attention. Clearly, you're not because if you were you'd know that Jordan Love is the guy I "bag on" as you put it. Get it right, sheesh! 😄

On 7/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, Old Guy said:

I could only see that happening is if we had 3 tackles and 4 interior guys who were ahead of him on the depth chart. I do not see the current roster being anywhere close to that kind of depth. 

Exactly, not at this point. Most likely, he'll serve out the rest of his contract and another player that was drafted within the last 16 months will replace him. 

On 7/29/2021 at 2:33 PM, pgwingman said:

That might not be true. He expects to be the highest paid WR in the league now, and he'll want that at the end of the season as well.

Which is why we should've done it BEFORE those comments were made. JMO

On 7/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, Kenrik said:

Yup actually not too worried about the cap after reading this.

49 Million over 2022

-19 million Rodgers traded before June 1st

-20 million saved with Za'Darius extension (currently 28 million cap hit 2022)

-12 million if Preston is cut (19 million cap hit in 2022 with 7 in dead cap)

-8.25 million cobb (no dead cap)

This was my point with extending him for another year and spreading out the remainder of what he would have at that point. You're only creating $5 mil in cap space and you might be able to save money by extending him another year shifting money into a signing bonus.

Like you, however, I'm not all too worried about the cap, but I don't think we have to necessarily gut the team in order to get under the cap.

Really appreciate this write up...not nearly as Doom and Gloom....however, there are some FA's we need to sign and some good players we will need to say good bye to.  It part of the deal, but we certainly will not have to dismantle the team.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:01 AM, mikemike778 said:

You can get under the cap as suggested. But why ?   Constantly restructuring contracts just leaves you in a permanent fight against the cap.  With every restructure each contract gets worse and  the future dead money rises. You are going to be left with a growing number of old regressing players on bad contracts.  Its just terrible roster management. You need  to make the cap be your friend with you having an advantage over other teams and being able to sign young improving players.

Anytime you're drafting with success, you're always going to be fighting against the cap.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

the cap **** and overall team situation is so messy that i've retired from keeping tabs and even thinking about anything beyond this year for my first time as a packer fan 

It feels like the most interesting years for a team are at the ends of a franchise QB's career: when they're under 27 and over 35. The middling years are relatively boring from a team building standpoint.

On 8/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, CWood21 said:

Anytime you're drafting with success, you're always going to be fighting against the cap.

To an extent.

You can make it work for you though.  If you draft well you have younger guys coming so you don't need to take on the bad third contracts for players on the way down, whose contract will look horrible half way through. 

I completely understand Rodgers point about keeping vets.  But if veterans want huge money when they are in decline, its not that easy. 

Adams wants to be the top paid WR.  But the probability is he will be better in contract 2 than contract 3. The probability is he will miss more games in contract 3 than contract 2.  Its OK Rodgers saying treat the vets better but Adams has been clear his absolute priority is money so same has to be apply to the team. Its not a good contract so we shouldn't sign him.

You have to make the head over heart decisions to keep the cap on your side.

• Like 2

The biggest problem Green Bay faces is that they have to be under the cap on day 1 of the new league year. That day will come before Rodgers gets traded (if that’s the plan).

Looking at this years roster, I see players like Burks, Jackson, Patrick, Sternberger being cut before week 1. Factoring in other cuts, I anticipate that we will enter week 1 with about 11.5m in cap space (that’s after practice squad players are signed). Assuming that 1/3rd of that is used during the season it means that we will roll over about 6.5m

Given the cuts this year I’ve calculated that we will be approx 42m over the current cap in 2022 (That changes to 35.5m if we roll over 6.5m).

To get under the cap by the start of the new year I anticipate we will need to do the following:

- Cut P Smith, Lowry and Cobb. These moves save us 23.3m in cap space.

- Restructure Roster bonuses of Bahktiari (9.5m), Clark (6.4m) and Jones (3.75m). These moves save us 13.1m

We also have the luxury of extending Za’Darius and Alexander which could realistically save another 14m. If you extend Adams this year and reduce his cap number slightly it could give you an extra 4-6m to roll over but we’d need to be very creative to keep his cap number in 2022 as low as possible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

The biggest problem Green Bay faces is that they have to be under the cap on day 1 of the new league year. That day will come before Rodgers gets traded (if that’s the plan).

Looking at this years roster, I see players like Burks, Jackson, Patrick, Sternberger being cut before week 1. Factoring in other cuts, I anticipate that we will enter week 1 with about 11.5m in cap space (that’s after practice squad players are signed). Assuming that 1/3rd of that is used during the season it means that we will roll over about 6.5m

Given the cuts this year I’ve calculated that we will be approx 42m over the current cap in 2022 (That changes to 35.5m if we roll over 6.5m).

To get under the cap by the start of the new year I anticipate we will need to do the following:

- Cut P Smith, Lowry and Cobb. These moves save us 23.3m in cap space.

- Restructure Roster bonuses of Bahktiari (9.5m), Clark (6.4m) and Jones (3.75m). These moves save us 13.1m

We also have the luxury of extending Za’Darius and Alexander which could realistically save another 14m. If you extend Adams this year and reduce his cap number slightly it could give you an extra 4-6m to roll over but we’d need to be very creative to keep his cap number in 2022 as low as possible.

So after this, you trade Rodgers and you're already $20M under for something like Jaire/Tonyan? Seems reasonable