The 2021 NBA Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

i remember when people said the rockets are dumb for trading levert and jarrett allen after that harden trade was made.  rockets wouldnt have gotten jalen green if they kept those 2. 

Edited by Texansfan713
1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Realistically though, even when other Lakers fans were bashing a potential move for the Brodie, I was in support of it. You guys had minimal assets to offer and while Westbrook has his flaws I think he's probably the best player you could've landed. I view this as a Dennis Rodman to Chicago or Ron Artest to the Lakers type of move, both guys had their flaws but they had that "thing" that helped get the team over the top. Adding some shooters around your big 3 will be key but Westbrook shot the 3 ball at the same clip as Schroder last year and was literally better at everything else. I think adding him also takes a ton of pressure off of LeBron as he's a guy that will suit up all 82 game and can take over games when LeBron wants to coast. Another key will be keeping him in check and stopping him from going chucker mode in the playoffs. But I think at this point in his career he understands that this is his last chance to ever win and he'll have that chance playing with two of the top 6 players in the world, back home in Los Angeles, and have a chance to hang a banner with the Lakers. 

With how Westbrook's career arc has gone, if he's able to help the Lakers get over the top it would be probably the best case scenario for him. He gets to play for his hometown team, remove the stigma that he can't win, and likely will get to do it against former teammates Kevin Durant and James Harden. 

Good points.
I agree - we'll survive, but boy are we top heavy.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Draft Losers:

Oklahoma City Thunder (D+): Josh Giddey (#6), Tre Mann (#18), Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (#32), Aaron Wiggins (#55)

Tanking away an entire season to end up with Josh Giddey is legitimately a fireable offense. I like Giddey but he was a major reach at #6 especially with prospects like Kuminga and Moody still on the board. I think Giddey will be a solid rotational piece but he's just another "guy" added to their group of "guys," they needed to take a swing and find a player with star potential to compliment SGA going forward and failed to do so. I like Tre Mann but this was another questionable pick for me. Mann's another guard that's at his best with the ball in his hands, has questionable length/athleticism, and doesn't really fit with their current roster construction. They needed a player with star potential but came away with two guards with negative height/wingspan ratios, that need to be on ball, who are questionable athletes, and will likely be negative's defensively. Robinson-Earl projects as a decent hustle guy/defender on the wing but again how does he fit with their current roster with guys like Poku, Bazley, and Williams already there? Aaron Wiggins was a solid pick for where he was taken and projects as a solid 3&D guy so can't hate on it too much that late in the draft. But Presti proves once again that all that draft capital means nothing if you can't use to acquire great players with it either via trade or by moving up in the draft.

Memphis Grizzles (D-): Ziaire Williams (#10), Santi Aldama (#30)

Not sure why Memphis gave up Jonas and took on two bad contracts to move up 7 spots in the draft if this was their plan. I like Ziaire but he was a reach at #10 and is one of the biggest boom/bust prospects in the draft. He could be Brandon Ingram in a couple of years or he could be Cam Reddish. I don't think he has much of an impact as rookie though and they got significantly worse trading away Jonas to add Adams/Bledsoe. Santi at #30 was one of the biggest WTF moments I have ever had watching the draft. Maybe he becomes a good player in the future but I don't think they had to get up as high as #30 to land him. He's another guy that's a project that likely won't contribute much as a rookie. I can't imagine Ja Morant and his camp are too happy with the moves the team has made after they just made the playoffs last season. 

San Antonio Spurs (F): Josh Primo (#12), Joe Wieskamp (#41)

I honestly think the translator got it wrong when Pop was communicating who he wanted the Spurs to draft at #12. Primo is probably one of the biggest reaches in the lottery that we've seen in the last decade. Primo was the youngest player in the draft but he was a role player at Alabama with an average physical profile and didn't really do anything in college that made you say, "wow this kid is going to be a great pro." Wieskamp at #41 was a solid pick as he'll almost definitely at least be a pretty good role player because of his size and ability to shoot the 3. The only positive with this draft haul for the Spurs is that it probably makes them one of the worst teams in the league next year. They just have to pray that Emoni reclassifies into the 2022 class so the Becky era can begin with drafting him #1 overall.

I agree with all these.

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

i remember when people said the rockets are dumb for trading levert and jarrett allen after that harden trade was made.  rockets wouldnt have gotten jalen green if they kept those 2. 

You guys tanked the right way. If we would’ve tanked properly we could’ve at least got Jalen Suggs. Instead our GM is a idiot.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Good points.

Westbrook when he focuses is also a different beast. He gets you 20 assists doesn’t take 3s and becomes a lockdown off ball defender. 

4 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

sure, i just think the expectation should be so low for those picks, especially for about #40 and below, it should never be part of your team building plan

they got tucker and connaughton knowing exactly what kind of players they would be, and they obviously did a tremendous job developing middleton, but there are only 2(?) other active 2nd round guys playing at that level so those are clearly the outliers

Draymond, Danny Green, Patty Mills, Goran Dragic, Deandre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Paul Milsap, Lou Williams, Isiah Thomas, Montrez Harrell, Malcolm Brogdon, and many others in the league are 2nd round picks or undrafted players.  Yes the odds of finding a star are slim, but all of these guys offered some upside. 

Draymond may be the most like Garza in that he was NCAA player of the year but wasn't athletic enough, didnt have good size, didn't do anything great but worked hard enough to be a star.  The rest were young guys or foreign guys with potential and they reached it.  Plenty of other bench 2nd rounders' that are solid like Diallo are found and take time to develop.  I don't expect to find studs in the 2nd round every year, but having something to get excited about would be cool.  Garza and LIvers may never see the NBA, and if they do, it likely means our team is pretty trash again. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Good points.

You are top heavy right now, we'll see how it all looks in a few days when are agency starts. @CWood21 said that the Lakers are likely going to match any THT offer sheet so you'll at least get one rotational piece back. And I don't think there will be any shortage of ring chasers interested in playing with LeBron in the twilight of his career for a chance to win a championship. We've seen guys like Ray Allen turn down more money from their current team to go ring chase with LeBron in the past. 

The good news for the Lakers is that there is absolutely a large amount of talk from team executives around the league right now that if the Lakers are able to get a Kyle Lowry or make this home run of getting Russell Westbrook and trading Kyle Kuzma for Buddy Hield, let’s say … there’s a lot of speculation right now that seems founded that the Lakers have a ton of veteran-type players ready and interested to come sign on minimum deals and go chase this ring with LeBron [James],” Bleacher Report’s Jake Fischer said on the Lakers Central Podcast.

10 minutes ago, catcheryea said:

sure, i just think the expectation should be so low for those picks, especially for about #40 and below, it should never be part of your team building plan

they got tucker and connaughton knowing exactly what kind of players they would be, and they obviously did a tremendous job developing middleton, but there are only 2(?) other active 2nd round guys playing at that level so those are clearly the outliers

There are plenty of 2nd round picks around the league that are at least rotation players right now.

I agree that expectations should be very low for 2nds, but saying they're worthless is untrue.

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

There are plenty of 2nd round picks around the league that are at least rotation players right now.

I agree that expectations should be very low for 2nds, but saying they're worthless is untrue.

this is the internet, everything is exaggerated

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Winners:  

Rockets-  Green has the best upside in this draft. I'm still shocked we traded 2 other team's future firsts to move up and take Segun at 16.  Garuba was nice value at 23.  He is the best defensive big man in the draft other than Mobley.  Fills a huge need for us.

Warriors-  Warriors getting Kuminga at 7 and Moody at 14 were excellent value.  If Kuminga pans out, the Warriors will be adding a future star.

Hornets-  Bouknight at 11 was a steal.  Him and Ball will form a very formable backcourt going forward.  Not high on Kai Jones but with Ball at PG he could reach his ceiling. Thor has potential as well and they got him round 2. 

Magic-  Not a huge Wagner fan, but they got Suggs at pick 5 when I thought he would be a lock at pick 4. Hopefully he ends up a star for them because Orlando really needs one.

Losers: 

Spurs-  Primo was a reach, no matter how much potential he has.  

Thunder-  Giddey was a reach as well, and the fact they aquired 2 future firsts that most likely wont convey till 2025 and let another team get Segun puts them on this list.

Kings-  I love Mitchell as a player even though he is older than most prospects, but the fit is bad.  Kings have 2 guards (Fox and Haliburton).  How will Mitchell get playing time? 

Edit:  Added the Hornets. 

Pelicans won the draft 

10 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Westbrook when he focuses is also a different beast. He gets you 20 assists doesn’t take 3s and becomes a lockdown off ball defender. 

Agree. If we can keep him from chucking up 3's - I like everything about him except that he's not 26 :)

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Nikola Jokic, Draymond Green, Marc Gasol, Jordan Clarkson, Paul Millsap, Goran Dragic, Khris Middleton, Trevor Ariza, DeAndre Jordan, Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell, Danny Green, Patrick Beverley, Nicolas Claxton, Terance Mann, Jalen Brunson, Jevon Carter, Gary Trent, Bruce Brown, De’Anthony Melton, Dillon Brooks, Ivica Zubac, Malcolm Brogdon, Richaun Holmes, Pat Connaughton, Norman Powell, Joe Harris, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant, Jae Crowder, Hassan Whiteside, Will Barton, Bojan Bogdanovic, Davis Bertans, and the GOAT Talen Horton-Tucker!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, but you see all then rebounds he gets and how hard he tries? LeBron saw. Actual impact be damned!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Winners:  

Rockets-  Green has the best upside in this draft. I'm still shocked we traded 2 other team's future firsts to move up and take Segun at 16.  Garuba was nice value at 23.  He is the best defensive big man in the draft other than Mobley.  Fills a huge need for us.

I'd say the Rockets had a good night by default simply because they added the best player in the draft. But other than that I wasn't a huge fan of any of their other picks to be completely honest. I can understand why they liked both Sengun and Usman as both guys are very young and have a projectable skill-set. I'm just not sure how well either guy fits into the modern game or with your current roster construction. 

I like Sengun but he's a 6'9" below the rim, back to the basket, throw back big. He's very skilled scoring in the post but as of now he's a non-shooter/floor stretcher and struggled to guard in space in the Turkish league. I think his upside is an Enes Kanter/Jusuf Turkic type of big, which does have some value, but also has it's limitations especially in playoff basketball. Swing factors for him will be improving defensively and adding range to his jumper. 

I'm personally not very high on Garuba. In the Olympics he's averaging 0.5 ppg and doesn't really have anything to offer offensively. Long term this is a pick that could pan out for you guys but he's probably a small ball 5 and during Spain's pre-Olympic measurements he was 6'7" 225, not sure how many 5's that size are thriving in the modern NBA, especially guys that cannot stretch the floor. 

I was higher on Christopher than most, I just think it was a little redundant to take him in the 1st round with Green and KPJ in the mix already. I think someone like Springer or McBride would've made more sense here but I think Josh can be a good pro as a 6th man/instant offense off the bench type of player.