The 2021 NBA Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

48 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

There are plenty of 2nd round picks around the league that are at least rotation players right now.

I agree that expectations should be very low for 2nds, but saying they're worthless is untrue.

Looking at the list of 2nd round picks that have panned out almost all of them were either under the radar foreign players or 3-4 year college players that had limitations but still had at least one skill that translated to the league. 

Guys that fit that list this year would be Jared Butler, Ayo Dosunmu, Herbert Jones, Miles McBride, Rokas Jokubaitas, JT Thor, and Joe Wieskamp. 

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'd say the Rockets had a good night by default simply because they added the best player in the draft. But other than that I wasn't a huge fan of any of their other picks to be completely honest. I can understand why they liked both Sengun and Usman as both guys are very young and have a projectable skill-set. I'm just not sure how well either guy fits into the modern game or with your current roster construction. 

I like Sengun but he's a 6'9" below the rim, back to the basket, throw back big. He's very skilled scoring in the post but as of now he's a non-shooter/floor stretcher and struggled to guard in space in the Turkish league. I think his upside is an Enes Kanter/Jusuf Turkic type of big, which does have some value, but also has it's limitations especially in playoff basketball. Swing factors for him will be improving defensively and adding range to his jumper. 

I'm personally not very high on Garuba. In the Olympics he's averaging 0.5 ppg and doesn't really have anything to offer offensively. Long term this is a pick that could pan out for you guys but he's probably a small ball 5 and during Spain's pre-Olympic measurements he was 6'7" 225, not sure how many 5's that size are thriving in the modern NBA, especially guys that cannot stretch the floor. 

I was higher on Christopher than most, I just think it was a little redundant to take him in the 1st round with Green and KPJ in the mix already. I think someone like Springer or McBride would've made more sense here but I think Josh can be a good pro as a 6th man/instant offense off the bench type of player.

Christopher was the only questionable pick but it wasnt THAT bad.  Im curious to see how we use him.  On this team he probably is a 6th man.  The comparisons i seen are KCP, Nick Young and Norman Powell.  If he ends up like either of those 3 I would be happy. 

Sengun and Usman as a pair will be very good playing together.  I like both their fits next to Wood too especially Garuba.  Sengun gives us a different dimension on offense with his post skills. You have to remember he is only 19 and won MVP against grown men in the Euro League. We dont need Garuba to score.  We just need him to hustle, play defense and score on putbacks and pick and rolls like Clint Capela did for us.  He is better defender than Capela was coming out too. Capela couldnt guard all 5 positions and he got exposed against Golden St when they went small. Garuba CAN guard all 5 positions and that will be valuable in the playoffs.  If he can develop a jump shot on the corners he would basically be another PJ Tucker for us. 

7 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Lol it’s just “he’s gonna give Lebron time to rest”. Lol aight. 

I see two possible outcomes for the Brodie situation in LA: 1) They mesh well and are very good or 2) They don't fit well, someone gets hurt, and the season/team goes down in flames. I don't think there's much middle ground, it will likely be a strikeout or a home run move. But the Lakers were trying to afford champagne on a malt liquor budget and I honestly think LeBron and the Klutch Sports boys panicked. 

Also lets not sit here and act like the Brodie is completely washed up. Over the last two seasons he has averaged 25/10/9.5 on 46%/29% shooting splits. And last season he actually shot the 3 at the exact same rate/clip as Dennis Schroder. 

At this stage of his career you can't really expect LeBron to carry a huge offensive load for 82 games and be healthy/fresh in the playoffs. The Lakers last season had the 25th best offense in the league and pretty much no one other than LeBron that could carry the offense as a primary ball handler. If there are two things we know about Westbrook they are that he will play every game and that he will be looking to put up numbers every game. That in itself will take a huge load off of LeBron's shoulders.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I see two possible outcomes for the Brodie situation in LA: 1) They mesh well and are very good or 2) They don't fit well, someone gets hurt, and the season/team goes down in flames. I don't think there's much middle ground, it will likely be a strikeout or a home run move. But the Lakers were trying to afford champagne on a malt liquor budget and I honestly think LeBron and the Klutch Sports boys panicked. 

Also lets not sit here and act like the Brodie is completely washed up. Over the last two seasons he has averaged 25/10/9.5 on 46%/29% shooting splits. And last season he actually shot the 3 at the exact same rate/clip as Dennis Schroder. 

At this stage of his career you can't really expect LeBron to carry a huge offensive load for 82 games and be healthy/fresh in the playoffs. The Lakers last season had the 25th best offense in the league and pretty much no one other than LeBron that could carry the offense as a primary ball handler. If there are two things we know about Westbrook they are that he will play every game and that he will be looking to put up numbers every game. That in itself will take a huge load off of LeBron's shoulders.

Never once said the Russ is washed up. He’s gonna do well in the regular season. In the post season? Yeah no faith. And the fit is terrible. When you add an all star you expect that value to be sizeable, I don’t see that.

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Christopher was the only questionable pick but it wasnt THAT bad.  Im curious to see how we use him.  On this team he probably is a 6th man.  The comparisons i seen are KCP, Nick Young and Norman Powell.  If he ends up like either of those 3 I would be happy. 

Sengun and Usman as a pair will be very good playing together.  I like both their fits next to Wood too especially Garuba.  Sengun gives us a different dimension on offense with his post skills. You have to remember he is only 19 and won MVP against grown men in the Euro League. We dont need Garuba to score.  We just need him to hustle, play defense and score on putbacks and pick and rolls like Clint Capela did for us.  He is better defender than Capela was coming out too. Capela couldnt guard all 5 positions and he got exposed against Golden St when they went small. Garuba CAN guard all 5 positions and that will be valuable in the playoffs.  If he can develop a jump shot on the corners he would basically be another PJ Tucker for us. 

Yeah I mean that's what he projects to be was just an odd pick with KPJ already on the team and after you guys had just drafted Jalen Green. 

They both project as 5's and are undersized for the position though. I think they could potentially be a decent pairing but as of right now neither guy stretches the floor so it'll be tough to get them minutes together. Sengun's game would've been great in the league 15-20 years ago but Enes Kanter has a similar skill-set and he's borderline unplayable in the playoffs due to his inability to guard in space. He also didn't win MVP in the Euro League, he won it in the Turkish League which is a step down. Capela was also 7'0 feet tall though, Garuba is 6'7, major difference. I think Garuba compares more to guys like Aminu and James Johnson. If he ever learns how to at least shoot he could be a nice 3&D guy but he's extremely raw offensively. 

1 minute ago, Kip Smithers said:

Never once said the Russ is washed up. He’s gonna do well in the regular season. In the post season? Yeah no faith. And the fit is terrible. When you add an all star you expect that value to be sizeable, I don’t see that.

I agree. The key in the playoffs will be to stop him from going full chucker mode. Reportedly LeBron/AD are open to playing more 4/5 so if they can add a couple of solid veteran 3&D guys their spacing should still be solid. I also think Westbrook is at a point in his career where he knows this is his last chance to ever win a title and he gets to do it at home with the Lakers. Westbrook has definitely gone chucker mode throughout his career but I think if anyone can get him to play a lesser role it's LeBron. 

And I mean the Lakers had very few trade assets to offer so Westbrook was probably the best case scenario in terms of adding another All-Star. He's definitely a massive upgrade over Dennis Schroder and will bring an energy level/degree of toughness that last years team lacked. 

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Looking at the list of 2nd round picks that have panned out almost all of them were either under the radar foreign players or 3-4 year college players that had limitations but still had at least one skill that translated to the league. 

Guys that fit that list this year would be Jared Butler, Ayo Dosunmu, Herbert Jones, Miles McBride, Rokas Jokubaitas, JT Thor, and Joe Wieskamp. 

Or were highly rated HS kids that struggled in their one year between college and pro and took time to develop.  Deandre Jordan, Lou Williams, Gary Trent Jr, Hamidou Diallo, Jerami Grant.  Its why I would have taken a shot on Todd, Nix, Boston, etc just to try and tap into some of the potential that was there the year before.  Even Shariffe Cooper has potential to grow into a solid player with some coaching and maturity.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How competent were the Nets when they just signed Kyrie/Durant?

They made an 8th seed playoff team out of nothing but late draft picks and had a well-regarded coaching staff and front office. Also, KD and Kyrie were deadset on NY so it was either them or the Knicks lol.

How sustainably built is this current Knicks team for the future? Their best player had a really flukey shooting season without fans in the seats and totally flopped in the playoffs. Plus he's in his mid-twenties and only signed for one more year. RJ Barrett is the only guy who can MAYBE develop into an above average starter on a playoff team right now.

Edited by redsoxsuck05