The 2021 NBA Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

how do you turn down to be drafted? lol

You turn down the offer the team makes. Most teams want certain contract and salary demands met from their 2nd round picks since there are different ways to sign them, so the players can essentially just tell them they won't accept it.

It doesn't force the team to not draft a player, but it gives some control to the player.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You turn down the offer the team makes. Most teams want certain contract and salary demands met from their 2nd round picks since there are different ways to sign them, so the players can essentially just tell them they won't accept it.

It doesn't force the team to not draft a player, but it gives some control to the player.

did not know that.  learn something new everyday.

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

did not know that.  learn something new everyday.

Fred van vleet turned down being drafted because he had to promise he’d stay in the g league his rookie year. He said nah I want the chance to make the team

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

After just trading Plumlee and assuming you let DSJ/Joseph/Ellington walk, if you were to trade Jerami Grant I think you guys would be bad enough to be in contention for the top pick. 

Your rotation would likely be:

PG - Cade Cunningham | Frank Jackson

SG - Killian Hayes | Rodney McGruder

SF -  Saddiq Bey | Hamidou Diallo 

PF - Sekou Doumbouya | Isaiah Livers

C - Isaiah Stewart | Jahlil Okafor

Yeah, I think that team unfortunately wins enough games to not be a top 2/3 pick.  Washington is going to be bad this year.  OKC is going to be bad this year.  Houston probably will be bad but better than last year.  The Cavs will likely be bad this year.  The Kings got worse IMO. And who knows how the Magic will be. That lineup pretty much swaps out Grant for Cade and adds Hayes for a full year and we were only like 3 games form the 5th pick.  Not to mention we were much better second half once Bey and Stewart started growing in their roles.  

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Yeah, I think that team unfortunately wins enough games to not be a top 2/3 pick.  Washington is going to be bad this year.  OKC is going to be bad this year.  Houston probably will be bad but better than last year.  The Cavs will likely be bad this year.  The Kings got worse IMO. And who knows how the Magic will be. That lineup pretty much swaps out Grant for Cade and adds Hayes for a full year and we were only like 3 games form the 5th pick.  Not to mention we were much better second half once Bey and Stewart started growing in their roles.  

That's still a really young roster to feel like you'd be comfortably out of contention for the top 1,2 pick I would think?  Another year or two of development and that's a strong core but all core players are in 1st or 2nd years and Jahlil Okafor isn't making a difference as "the vet".   You'd have to hope Cunningham plays like ROY and Hayes, Bey, Stewart make some significant jumps in yr 2.   Not out of the question but that's a lot to hope for this season.

14 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

That's still a really young roster to feel like you'd be comfortably out of contention for the top 1,2 pick I would think?  Another year or two of development and that's a strong core but all core players are in 1st or 2nd years and Jahlil Okafor isn't making a difference as "the vet".   You'd have to hope Cunningham plays like ROY and Hayes, Bey, Stewart make some significant jumps in yr 2.   Not out of the question but that's a lot to hope for this season.

I think Cade's impact as a rookie is likely going to equal or be greater than Jerami Grants impact.  Hayes is the big question mark but at least is a solid back up PG but he played well down the stretch and would be there a whole year which is pretty much adding two top 7 picks to the roster.  I don't count on Okafor to do anything, and I am guessing we would bring in another PF to start over Sekou because Weaver doesn't believe in tanking.  I know its young but I also watched this team play and had we not sat Grant the last couple weeks, we would have been the 5th/6th pick this year.  I fully expect Bey and Stewart to be a little better at least. 

Side note, we aren't trading Grant anyways, because as noted above Weaver doesnt believe in tanking.  With Grant in that lineup instead of Sekou, I feel very comfortable in saying we will not be in the top 3 of the lottery next year.  Cade is the biggest improvement for any team in the bottom 5 and we barely stayed in the bottom 5 as is.  Adding Hayes into the mix only makes us better.  I fully expect us to be picking 5-9 next year without luck from the lottery which may not be all that bad as next year looks like a solid year on paper.  I am sure some top 10 guys will fall and some 25-30 guys will boost up but this next class feels pretty solid too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

That team is going to be one of the bottom 5 in offense and defense my boy, lol.

18 minutes ago, champ11 said:

i've never loved a new nugget faster than i love bones hyland

Bones Hyland is legit, he'll be the Immanuel Quickly of this draft class, he needs to get stronger but he's a baller. Your front office is the goat's of drafting. 

mitchell-jazz-nuggetsjpg.jpg

7463488.jpg

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Bones Hyland is legit, he'll be the Immanuel Quickly of this draft class, he needs to get stronger but he's a baller. Your front office is the goat's of drafting. 

mitchell-jazz-nuggetsjpg.jpg

7463488.jpg

lol, 2017 ended in disaster (they targeted the right guy in OG), but if you look at Tim Connelly's track record, it is nothing short of elite. much better than Lindsey's 

4 minutes ago, champ11 said:

lol, 2017 ended in disaster (they targeted the right guy in OG), but if you look at Tim Connelly's track record, it is nothing short of elite. much better than Lindsey's 

Lindsey is gone, thank god. He definitely helped change the culture and got us on the right track but he was from San Antonio's tree of executives and was stuck in the past. Went after Trey Burke over Giannis, took Dante Exum #5, drafted Trey Lyles one spot ahead of Devin Booker, traded a lottery pick for 1 year of George Hill, like holy ish. lol

Edited by NYRaider

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lindsey is gone, thank god. He definitely helped change the culture and got us on the right track but he was from San Antonio's tree of executives and was stuck in the past. Went after Trey Burke over Giannis, took Dante Exum #5, drafted Trey Lyles one spot ahead of Devin Booker, traded a lottery pick for 1 year of George Hill, like holy ish. lol

I still can't believe they didn't just take OG at 13. Their presser that night was like if someone died. The track record if they just did that would be so insane. And they still got Monte Morris at 51 that night lol