The 2021 NBA Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

19 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I still can't believe they didn't just take OG at 13. Their presser that night was like if someone died. The track record if they just did that would be so insane. And they still got Monte Morris at 51 that night lol 

They couldn't resist adding Trey Lyles. 

17 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm starting to warm up a little to the Aldama pick. I still would not have made it, but after watching him and reading about his pre-draft shenanigans, I'm more of a fan.

Leading up to the draft I knew there were going to be a ton of WTF moments but that was definitely the biggest of the night for me, I hadn't ever even heard his name before he was drafted. Apparently he was regarded as one of the best young players in Spain and had offers from all of their top teams but chose to retain his amateur status. He won MVP at the 2019 Euro U18's when Spain won the gold medal and outplayed Usman Garuba. He announced he was going to college super late in the process but was a 4* recruit on 247. Had he gone to a program like Gonzaga he probably would've been way more highly regarded. 

17 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Still not liking the Ziaire pick. Can anyone think of a 1-and-done that disappointed so badly and went on to be a good, or even average NBA starter?

The only one that I can think of is Zach LaVine. Ziaire averaged 10.7 ppg (37/29/80 splits) and LaVine averaged 9.4 ppg (44/37/69 splits).

I think Ziaire has all the tools to be successful but like any non-1-3 rook he's going to need development time to add strength.   He's just not strong enough to compete against grown men right now, just can't compete physically offensively or defensively at this point.   I think he's definitely a throw-the-stats-out-and-let-him-develop guy.  3-4 years I think he'll be a legit contributor

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

I think Ziaire has all the tools to be successful but like any non-1-3 rook he's going to need development time to add strength. 

Since the one-n-done rule was implemented in 2006, there has been a pretty high bust rate for non-top 5 pick freshmen that have entered the draft. The only 7 one-n-done players that were taken outside the top 5 and have been All-Stars are  DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, Devin Booker, Julius Randle, Zach LaVine, Bam Adebayo, and Andre Drummond. Jamal Murray hasn't technically made the All-Star game so he's not on that list but he's definitely that caliber of player. SGA could become one as well. 

Even looking at last years All-Star teams, of the 27 players only LaVine and Randle were one-n-done, non top 5 picks. The other 25 players were all either former multi year college players, former one-n-done top 5 picks, or foreign born players. 

When you look around the league the only one-n-done players taken 10th or later that are considered good players are Jrue Holiday, Tobias Harris, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Zach LaVine, and Bam Adebayo. Tyler Herro is the only other one that was ranked in the top 100 that meets those criteria before this season but I wouldn't consider him at the same level as those other guys. 

The only 3 one-n-done non lottery picks that have had good careers since the one-n-done rule are Tobias Harris, Jrue Holiday, and Deandre Jordan. And the only recent ones in NBA rotations are Keldon Johnson, Gary Trent Jr, Jarrett Allen, Dejounte Murray, Kelly Oubre, Tyus Jones, and Kevon Looney.