The 2021 NBA Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

38 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If you draft someone at 5, and he becomes the best player in the class, it's a steal. A steal doesn't have to be some long way off pick like Draymond or Brogdon or Kawhi. Getting Dwyane Wade at 5, for Miami, was a steal. They got a top 2-3 SG of all-time at the 5th pick in the draft. Michael Jordan went #3. The perceived GOAT at #3 isn't a steal? Really?

my example of the world steal in draft terms

leonard falling to pick 15

rashad lewis falling to pick 32

rudy gay falling to pick 8

aaron rodgers falling to the packers

russell wilson falling round 3 to the seahawks

To me, steal means when a team takes someone at a spot where they had no business falling to.  it depends on where you rank the player in your draft rankings. i clearly had leonard as a top 5 prospect in the draft and i was shocked he fell to pick 15.  same thing with rudy gay.  rashad lewis got passed 3 times by the rockets and people had him going round 1.

aaron rodgers was considered a top 5 pick in the draft. wilson was projected to go higher than where he did too. 

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Getting the best player in the NBA at #15 wasn't a steal, it was a sleeper. Know the difference. 

nobody knew greak freak would turn out to be THIS good though.  he was picked right where he was projected.  i chalk that up as a damn good pick and good scouting by the bucks. 

Edited by Texansfan713

10 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

To me, steal means when a team takes someone at a spot where they had no business falling to.  it depends on where you rank the player in your draft rankings. i clearly had leonard as a top 5 prospect in the draft and i was shocked he fell to pick 15.  same thing with rudy gay.  rashad lewis got passed 3 times by the rockets and people had him going round 1.

So a steal is based solely on draft projection, not professional production? So based on that logic someone like Cam Thomas who was invited to the green room and went at the end of the first round is a steal more so than Giannis?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

The ideal 3&D wing going at 17 in a league starving for players like him is a steal TF

Murphy was a late riser in the draft process, he only played 1 year at UVA after transferring from Rice. But had 50/40/90 shooting splits and you know all UVA dudes have to be able to defend to play. He wasn't even sure if he was going to stay until the draft until his combine workout feedback. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Breesus mode said:

The ideal 3&D wing going at 17 in a league starving for players like him is a steal TF

eh, you could make an argument that the pelicans reached for him at 17.  most people had him projected to be picked in the 20's.  im a huge fan of his.

i guess we will have to agree to disagree with the draft term steal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

eh, you could make an argument that the pelicans reached for him at 17.  most people had him projected to be picked in the 20's.  im a huge fan of his.

Rather than going full FF and dragging a semantics argument out for 10 pages I will agree to disagree

6 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Mock drafts mean nothing to team evaluations though. There was chatter Murphy was in consideration for the Warriors at #14.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So a steal is based solely on draft projection, not professional production? So based on that logic someone like Cam Thomas who was invited to the green room and went at the end of the first round is a steal more so than Giannis?

Yeah this makes no sense to anyone. Basing whether someone is a steal solely on pre-draft rankings is pretty shortsighted. 

If this is the case, Tom Brady isn't a steal at all. He's just a 6th rounder that overachieved.