2021 Training Camp Thread

Sllim Pickens

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/where-penei-sewell-is-struggling-early-in-training-camp

Austin Bryant, Bruce Hector, Da'Shawn Hand, Romeo Okwara and Jashon Cornell have all battled Sewell, and given him all he can handle the first three weeks of camp.

Sounds like Sewell is struggling with his year off and moving to the right side.  I hope he improves quickly as I still don't think Okwara and especially the rest of that group are all that great compared to other DEs he is going to be facing regularly. 

Former Lions CB Alex Brown charged in wrong-way crash that injured a teammate

The Lions waived cornerback Alex Brown on Sunday, a day before Brown was charged in a wrong-way crash that injured two others.

Brown’s injured passenger was former teammate Charlie Taumoepeau, whom the Lions waived with a non-football injury designation.

What a scum bag. 

Hey guys. Sorry to be that guy, but i have a fantasy question. When it comes to Hockenson, do you all believe he will continue to thrive with Goff instead of Stafford? I feel like he is going to get a good deal of targets again, but i have the chance to keep him this year and it will only cost me a 6th rounder. Most ratings have him as a top 6 TE this year. Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Hey guys. Sorry to be that guy, but i have a fantasy question. When it comes to Hockenson, do you all believe he will continue to thrive with Goff instead of Stafford? I feel like he is going to get a good deal of targets again, but i have the chance to keep him this year and it will only cost me a 6th rounder. Most ratings have him as a top 6 TE this year. Thoughts?

I will be going after him in my fantasy league as well as I think he is going to do great.  I imagine him to be the top target for Goff. There are others on here who can give you more of an x's and o's way better than I can, I just go by my gut.

10 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I will be going after him in my fantasy league as well as I think he is going to do great.  I imagine him to be the top target for Goff. There are others on here who can give you more of an x's and o's way better than I can, I just go by my gut.

Great to hear, thank you for the reply!

1 hour ago, nugpimpen said:

I think he will have a good year.  I think expectations are difficult due to not knowing his chemistry with Goff and the fact we likely will be a run heavy team, but as far as the passing game goes, he should be our #1 target.  I would say keeping him with a 6th round pick in a 10 man league is ok value, but is about what he is going for.  If its a 12 man league than a little better value but still doesn't seem to be a lock, but probably a good bet to out produce his draft slot. 

13 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think he will have a good year.  I think expectations are difficult due to not knowing his chemistry with Goff and the fact we likely will be a run heavy team, but as far as the passing game goes, he should be our #1 target.  I would say keeping him with a 6th round pick in a 10 man league is ok value, but is about what he is going for.  If its a 12 man league than a little better value but still doesn't seem to be a lock, but probably a good bet to out produce his draft slot. 

Thanks for that. It is a 12 team league, so that plays into it. The Big 3 TE's are already spoken for. After that it does seem like kind of a crapshoot, but he is at least hovering around TE5 in a lot of rankings. 

3 hours ago, nugpimpen said:

I agree with that Top 6 ranking. I'd rather have Kelce/Kittle/Waller, but Hockenson is right in the conversation after that. Reports have Hock looking great and creating a lot of matchup nightmares - though the Lions have a pretty week linebacker corp and secondary so it's hard to be sure. Goff is a downgrade from Stafford, but we also lost both our #1 and #2 receivers with Golladay and Jones, so I would expect Hockenson to be featured even more heavily in the passing game than he was before. He also has almost zero competition for those TE targets on this team. 

He's right up there with Mark Andrews fighting for that #4 TE spot. 

• Like 2

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/8/17/22630016/detroit-lions-training-camp-day-15-observations-levi-onwuzurike-arrives

Some positive notes about Levi's first day in pads.  Sounds like he is making good progress and should make an impact this year. 

The O line is scaring me, seems like they are giving up a lot of sacks but hopefully its due good schemes, great defensive plays and rotations on the O line. The first unit needs to tighten things up and make some progress. This is supposed to be a strength on the team, and hopefully they will become a unit soon. 

Denadre Swift is supposed to return to practice today per Dan Campbell.  That should help boost the offense.  Not that Williams has been bad but Swift is more dynamic and even if both backs are out there, it should help the offense move the ball. 

Sounds Like Kalif Raymond is making a name for himself.  Seems to have a good connection with Goff and is making plays.  Would be nice to have a WR come up like that and be our Adam Thielen.  I know Raymond is a little older than Thielen was when he broke out but not much and both came from small schools.  Also looks like Cephus made some plays which would be nice to have him be more impactful.  I wouldn't be shocked if Perriman is cut although most of his $3M contract is guaranteed but he isn't running with the 1s and seems to be passed by some young guys.  If thats the case I'd rather keep getting them work than someone like Perriman who is likely tapped out on potential. 

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/8/17/22630016/detroit-lions-training-camp-day-15-observations-levi-onwuzurike-arrives

Some positive notes about Levi's first day in pads.  Sounds like he is making good progress and should make an impact this year. 

The O line is scaring me, seems like they are giving up a lot of sacks but hopefully its due good schemes, great defensive plays and rotations on the O line. The first unit needs to tighten things up and make some progress. This is supposed to be a strength on the team, and hopefully they will become a unit soon. 

Denadre Swift is supposed to return to practice today per Dan Campbell.  That should help boost the offense.  Not that Williams has been bad but Swift is more dynamic and even if both backs are out there, it should help the offense move the ball. 

Sounds Like Kalif Raymond is making a name for himself.  Seems to have a good connection with Goff and is making plays.  Would be nice to have a WR come up like that and be our Adam Thielen.  I know Raymond is a little older than Thielen was when he broke out but not much and both came from small schools.  Also looks like Cephus made some plays which would be nice to have him be more impactful.  I wouldn't be shocked if Perriman is cut although most of his $3M contract is guaranteed but he isn't running with the 1s and seems to be passed by some young guys.  If thats the case I'd rather keep getting them work than someone like Perriman who is likely tapped out on potential. 

I would rather keep someone who has potential than keep Perriman.  His production has never really matched his physical talent.