Jump to content

Training Camp 2021


Recommended Posts

On 8/15/2021 at 11:09 PM, lomaxgrUK said:

* Really liked what I saw from Eric Saubert, a guy who I'd never heard of until today. Some excellent reach blocks in the run game and he's a big target in the passing game

 

Just saw this - clearly I wasn't the only one who liked Saubert.

If we heavily feature a PA bootleg Offense, expect a lot of 2 TE. With Albert O out for (at least) the first few weeks, there is a definite role available for a TE on this roster in addition to Fant.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid deployment but luckily got to watch this one live.

I'm still in the "we should have taken Fields" camp but super stoked to have PS2 and  he looked like a vet already. Granted, not like he was going against Justin Jefferson or Adam Thielen but he still looked smooth out there.

No secret that Javonte was my favorite player in the draft and showed why in his limited touches. Dude is a hoss. Should have had a TD where he shrugged off a couple of DBs like flies. I expect him to get the lion's share of carries by the end of October, if not sooner.

Caden Sterns flashed a bit too. A couple of times he came up and made good hits in the box which he wasn't exactly known for and of course the PBU in the end zone. 

Jonathan Cooper seemed to get a good amount of snaps as well, not sure what his potential is but I think they like him.

Some non rookies- PJ Locke was one of the best players in this game I feel. Showing up in coverage and some good tackles. Between he, Sterns and potentially Jamar Johnson when he returns, we look to have a ton of depth at S.

Muti... is probably the most fun guy I've ever seen on offensive line. Didn't notice every snap but he looked like he was a safety out there going for big hits anytime he pulled. Couple of whiffs but I did see him level some poor Viking on a pass block rep. 

Both the QBs looked fine and if they can make the throws that are there then we have a solid chance at making the postseason. Definitely on their shoulders though as I think this is one of the more complete teams on paper in the league barring QB.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Mad props George on the kiddo to come, it’ll be the coolest thing you’ll ever do in your life. My 2.5 year old changed my life in countless ways, each and every one of them for the better. 

Man time flies lol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

Both the QBs looked fine and if they can make the throws that are there then we have a solid chance at making the postseason. Definitely on their shoulders though as I think this is one of the more complete teams on paper in the league barring QB.

I'm so torn on how I feel about qb part of me thinks I'm just partial to Lock because I loved him coming out and the write up on him on Walter football intrigued me.

Said he had Jay Cutler like talent with an eli manning non dominant leadership personality.  I always felt if Jay was that type of leader he would of been soooo much better instead his type A personality rubbed teammates the wrong way. 

I live in the Philly area so bare with me here there's Ike Reese a local sports guy who played in the league took the words right out of my mind when describing Hurts how I feel our fantasy treats Lock. Us as a fan base always say is he a franchise qb what's his ceiling top 10 top 15 yada yada yada. It literally sets qbs up for failure having that mindset.  There's like a cut off and you guys might be able to say it more than me I say like top 15 qb may even be even higher top 10. It's believed  to be a franchise guy you have to play at that level or fans will rip the bandaid off and wanna go back to the drawing board in the draft. 

Looking at history of drafted first round qbs team by teams most teams are very calculated on how they draft them and when to draft them again if they bust. Organizations are way more patient. I think the thought process is we got a young gun he's cheap let's see how he does. 

I think the is the qb high enough is sports talk bs and they way too just get fans riled up and have a black and white opinion.  In reality it all comes down to wins and losses. You win it doesn't Matt ceiling look how long we kept plummer around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

Jonathan Cooper seemed to get a good amount of snaps as well, not sure what his potential is but I think they like him.

I re-watched the game last night, and I initially felt Cooper flashed. Upon further watch, I think he's incredibly raw (as you'd expect for a 7th round pick). He's so quick off the line, but his hand technique is nowhere near what it needs to be beat NFL Tackles.

Malik Reed is our clear #3 OLB and I actually think Mintze outplayed Cooper. That #4 OLB spot may come down to who our Coaching staff feel is best on Special Teams, or if one of them explodes in our next 2 games.

20 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

Some non rookies- PJ Locke was one of the best players in this game I feel. Showing up in coverage and some good tackles. Between he, Sterns and potentially Jamar Johnson when he returns, we look to have a ton of depth at S.

He really flashed, didn't he? Locke was the player that stood out the most upon my second viewing of the game. It's hard to describe the feeling of when you know a Safety is comfortable out there. I guess it's like they are in total control of their movements, efficient in everything they do and in total control of what their role in that particular scheme is.

Locke looked really dialed. There is a definite role as our #3 Safety and hopefully he can show his worth as a Punt gunner (lord only knows how we need one of these).

20 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

Muti... is probably the most fun guy I've ever seen on offensive line. Didn't notice every snap but he looked like he was a safety out there going for big hits anytime he pulled. Couple of whiffs but I did see him level some poor Viking on a pass block rep. 

He's an interesting one. When he gets his hands on someone, it's over. I know that isn't a profound statement because we know how strong he is, but it's true.

However, there were a couple of times in the Vikings game where he was a tad slow out of his stance on the zone blocks which he absolutely wouldn't get away with if Michael Pierce, Danielle Hunter, etc were playing that game.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm so torn on how I feel about qb part of me thinks I'm just partial to Lock because I loved him coming out and the write up on him on Walter football intrigued me.

Said he had Jay Cutler like talent with an eli manning non dominant leadership personality.  I always felt if Jay was that type of leader he would of been soooo much better instead his type A personality rubbed teammates the wrong way. 

I live in the Philly area so bare with me here there's Ike Reese a local sports guy who played in the league took the words right out of my mind when describing Hurts how I feel our fantasy treats Lock. Us as a fan base always say is he a franchise qb what's his ceiling top 10 top 15 yada yada yada. It literally sets qbs up for failure having that mindset.  There's like a cut off and you guys might be able to say it more than me I say like top 15 qb may even be even higher top 10. It's believed  to be a franchise guy you have to play at that level or fans will rip the bandaid off and wanna go back to the drawing board in the draft. 

Looking at history of drafted first round qbs team by teams most teams are very calculated on how they draft them and when to draft them again if they bust. Organizations are way more patient. I think the thought process is we got a young gun he's cheap let's see how he does. 

I think the is the qb high enough is sports talk bs and they way too just get fans riled up and have a black and white opinion.  In reality it all comes down to wins and losses. You win it doesn't Matt ceiling look how long we kept plummer around. 

I also live outside Philly. Ike Reese is a moron lol. I don't agree with that assessment personally. At the end of the day, the NFL is about winning and players are replaceable unless they are as elite as it gets. Now, I do agree that younger QBs typically need some time, but here's the issue Denver has. They drafted a young offensive core hoping that a cheap QB (Lock) could mesh with these other young guys, giving them a young, inexpensive core, so we could spend money on defense + supplementary pieces where possible. 

The issue is that Lock has not taken that next step. So now you're financially at an inflection point. It's why I believe Lock has this season to prove himself. Another season means everyone else is one year closer to their inevitable payday. If Lock isn't the guy, going after Rodgers makes sense. If not, we'll need to continue the draft and development process. 

QBs need to be able to play under pressure. Game pressure, pressure to keep their job. It's a part of professional sports. What Reese said is meaningless to me- if a player can't develop because they're scared of fan + team expectations...that's a problem now matter how much time they are given.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I also live outside Philly. Ike Reese is a moron lol. I don't agree with that assessment personally. At the end of the day, the NFL is about winning and players are replaceable unless they are as elite as it gets. Now, I do agree that younger QBs typically need some time, but here's the issue Denver has. They drafted a young offensive core hoping that a cheap QB (Lock) could mesh with these other young guys, giving them a young, inexpensive core, so we could spend money on defense + supplementary pieces where possible. 

The issue is that Lock has not taken that next step. So now you're financially at an inflection point. It's why I believe Lock has this season to prove himself. Another season means everyone else is one year closer to their inevitable payday. If Lock isn't the guy, going after Rodgers makes sense. If not, we'll need to continue the draft and development process. 

QBs need to be able to play under pressure. Game pressure, pressure to keep their job. It's a part of professional sports. What Reese said is meaningless to me- if a player can't develop because they're scared of fan + team expectations...that's a problem now matter how much time they are given.

You don't drink that ike juice lol? Nah I mean we're  largely are on the same page and I think you miss understood my post. You're right if a player fails because of fan base pressure they ain't it. What I'm saying is fan base point of view hot take top 10 qb take or your gone is a lot different from organizational point of view. 

And you're absolutely about our core and it being put up or shut up for Lock these first contract players are gonna have to get paid .if he doesn't become more consistent and reliable he's done point blank. I'm not writing him off yet though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You don't drink that ike juice lol? Nah I mean we're  largely are on the same page and I think you miss understood my post. You're right if a player fails because of fan base pressure they ain't it. What I'm saying is fan base point of view hot take top 10 qb take or your gone is a lot different from organizational point of view. 

And you're absolutely about our core and it being put up or shut up for Lock these first contract players are gonna have to get paid .if he doesn't become more consistent and reliable he's done point blank. I'm not writing him off yet though. 

Im just hoping that Lock pans out so I dont have to stare at Justin Fields in regret for the next 10+ years.

Really reminds me of the time the Browns got cute and passed on Deshawn Watson "because they wernt sold' and took Justin Gilbert

I really hope Im wrong. I know I keep harping on it but I have nobody else to harp on it to so lucky for you guys you get to hear my constant displeasure lol

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I also live outside Philly. Ike Reese is a moron lol. I don't agree with that assessment personally. At the end of the day, the NFL is about winning and players are replaceable unless they are as elite as it gets. Now, I do agree that younger QBs typically need some time, but here's the issue Denver has. They drafted a young offensive core hoping that a cheap QB (Lock) could mesh with these other young guys, giving them a young, inexpensive core, so we could spend money on defense + supplementary pieces where possible. 

The issue is that Lock has not taken that next step. So now you're financially at an inflection point. It's why I believe Lock has this season to prove himself. Another season means everyone else is one year closer to their inevitable payday. If Lock isn't the guy, going after Rodgers makes sense. If not, we'll need to continue the draft and development process. 

QBs need to be able to play under pressure. Game pressure, pressure to keep their job. It's a part of professional sports. What Reese said is meaningless to me- if a player can't develop because they're scared of fan + team expectations...that's a problem now matter how much time they are given.

lmao.  I live right outside Detroit and am a huge Philly fan aside from all the Detroit teams like redwings/flyers, pistons/sixers.  The only team I like outside of the Philly Detroit teams are the Broncos.  Never have liked the Eagles.    Weird too because I got an eagle tattooed on my chest - though Canadian I love that big bird of freedom and the U.S. in general.  Without U.S. strength and resolve the beatnik world of the Europeans and the Canadians would have been taken over by either group of commies!!!!!!!!!!!!!   A little political but its obviously meant as a compliment

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

He's an interesting one. When he gets his hands on someone, it's over. I know that isn't a profound statement because we know how strong he is, but it's true.

However, there were a couple of times in the Vikings game where he was a tad slow out of his stance on the zone blocks which he absolutely wouldn't get away with if Michael Pierce, Danielle Hunter, etc were playing that game.

 

Watching him last year he's a little slow out of the blocks. Not the quickest feet.  On the left side it can be covered up easier though

It's a bit of give and take I think. He's got amazing power, no bull rush will beat him. Risner, on the other hand is quicker, but he got manhandled a bit last year, something I hate to see on the IOL.

It'll be fun to see how it plays out. Quite a luxury to have a kid like that on the bench. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im just hoping that Lock pans out so I dont have to stare at Justin Fields in regret for the next 10+ years.

Really reminds me of the time the Browns got cute and passed on Deshawn Watson "because they wernt sold' and took Justin Gilbert

I really hope Im wrong. I know I keep harping on it but I have nobody else to harp on it to so lucky for you guys you get to hear my constant displeasure lol

Damn, after Saturdays performance I figured we'd at least go a week without Fields or Watson being mentioned.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Never want to get too opinionated in the preseason. But I've gotta say, I'm not nearly as optimistic about our season as some of you after watching the last 6 quarters. Few thoughts:

The offense looks smoother with Bridgewater. That's not a good thing. Yeah, Teddy looks great against second stringers running a vanilla defense. But that style of play isn't going to move the chains once the regular season starts. I'm sorry, it's just not. I love his pocket presence. But defenses are gonna jump all over those short routes and suffocate our run game once we're playing for real. There's zero chance we average more than 18-20 points per game with him, and that's not gonna be enough.

I'm seeing a lot of breakdowns on our offensive line over the last 2 games that are going to cause a serious problem if they don't fix that before the regular season starts, regardless of who our QB is. 

Defense looks as sharp as advertised. It isn't going to be an all-time D like we had in 2015. But I'm guessing it will def be a top 8 unit.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...